cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV AMP lost power.

Rodallg
Explorer
Explorer
Camping the past weekend and watched TV one night with great reception and the next day only had limited channels (3). Looking at the antenna booster plate I noticed the light was off and the switch made no difference in the reception so I suspect the booster either lost power or is inop, I havenโ€™t had a chance to check for voltage yet so I was wondering where the fuse would be. All the schematics I have for the MH donโ€™t show a fuse location so I was wondering where would be the best location to start looking. I have to assume there is a fuse in line for the amp.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
9 REPLIES 9

Dennis4809
Explorer
Explorer
Not knowing what rig you have makes any answer a guess. On our Gulf Stream, the fuse for the TV booster is located in the front drivers side electrical compartment. Found ours was bad when the radio stopped working from the house batteries. It's also powered by the booster fuse.
2006 41' Gulf Stream Friendship 7
Cat C7, Allison 3060
Honda VTX on CruzerLift
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2014 Equinox LTZ V6 AWD

Rodallg
Explorer
Explorer
All good suggestions, I need to make time to do the trouble shooting.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
sljkansas wrote:
If memory serves me right, there is a fuse on board of the amp, pull the plate and check.

That is what I remember also.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without knowing your coach specific location of the 12VDC power source and associated fusing is a bit difficult. My 06 Hurricane power for the antenna amp power originates at the Battery Control Center (BCC) from the same fuse for the dash cigarette lighters if I remember correctly or it might have been the dash radio circuit. Either way it was from the BCC and not the chassis fuse panels of the builder installed panel next to my AC breakers.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
If memory serves me right, there is a fuse on board of the amp, pull the plate and check.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might pull the Antenna WALL PLATE out and check the rear spade lug connections that supplies +12VDC to the board. It just pushes on. Might have become disconnected.

I have no idea where the +12VDC comes from. I also don't know for sure if there is a soldered in small fuse on the circuit board or not. You will see one on the board if one is there.

Power has to eventually comes from the 12VDC Power Distribution panel so either use a multimeter set to read 12VDC and go across each of the 12VDC fuses. The one that reads 12VDC will be the one that is OPEN.

You can see the fuse tips on top of this ATC type fuse - place your multimeter to these two metal points while the fuse is still plugged into the 12VDC Power Distribution Panel. If the fuse is blown you will read 12VDC

Or just pull each fuse to check it... You will see the inside wire burned into.

Also you can use an IN-LINE POWER SOURCE some antennas use like the JACK ANTENNA. It comes with what they call a POWER MODULE or something like that. This goes in-line with the RG cable feeding between the antenna connection and the TV connection. The module then plugs into a 120VAC Receptacle.

Jack Antenna Power Insertion Module

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Or buy a Digital Voltmeter for $10 and do it the right way. It's the best cheap investment you will make.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
One of those opportunities to use your jumper cables from the battery to nearby the booster, then use little ones to go from the cables to the booster... if that makes it work.. first lift one side, and then the other to see what is missing from the feed.

It might be the negative side, or the positive side, or it might not work either way.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

mmccray100
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't give a lot of info... year, model, etc, so I can only tell you that I had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago. I bought my 98 Dolphin used. It did not come with the coach manual.

After much searching online I finally was able to determine the fuse was on the 12V panel located in one of the outside compartments. There are many fuses on this panel, too many to pull and check. Easier just to use a Volt Meter to check both sides of each fuse for 12V. The one with voltage only on one leg, not the other, is open.

Since the Antenna Booster was probably a factory install, it's not likely to have an in-line fuse.

Mike