cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unscientific Opinion Poll

RetiredNavy
Explorer
Explorer
I have noticed a large number of RVers who pull into a campground and immediately hook up their sewer line and open the black dump valve and leave it open for weeks at a time. I have been RVing for 15 years and when I bought my first rig, I was told to wait until my black tank was 2/3 full before dumping. Leaving the dump valve open lets the water and liquid go out, but the solid waste tends to build up in the tank. I don't need to describe the potential problems. Plus using the gray tank AFTER dumping the black tank helps to flush out the sewer line. Has the logic for this changed over the years? You can POSSIBLY leave the gray tank open (it is just soapy water usually) but NEVER, NEVER leave the black tank open. Is that still a good rule to follow?
Thanks in advance.
Terry & Nancy
Retired Navy

2016 Coachmen Concord
300DS Class C Motor Home
27 REPLIES 27

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never left the black valve open. After once getting sewer flies, I no longer leave the hose hooked up. Hook up briefly to dump only.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Flarpswitch
Explorer
Explorer
One of many bad habits of new and seasoned RVers. I know of one guy that found out what happens if you leave the valve open. Lesson learned. Maybe this is a self-correcting problem. But, then again some people don't learn from experience. The afore mentioned RVer also discovered what happens when camping in freezing temperatures. That adds a whole other dimension to the mundane task of dumping the tanks.
Steve

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
When I pull in and have sewer hookup and if I have a almost full black tank then I'll dump right then. I like the black tank to have been moving around and it helps to dump before every thing has a chance to settle back down. Our roads anymore make a great stirrer because they are so rough. I also have a tornado flusher and it gets used right after I dump. I have a Rhino hose with a clear section so I can see when the tank is clean (I know what some people won't watch for entertainment :() but it helps make sure the tank is cleaned out. I also use the gray tank contents to flush out the hose.

Most of the time When I pull into a full hookup park I'll need to dump as I most likely have been camping without full hookups for a number of days.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

TheHallsGroup
Explorer
Explorer
pkick wrote:
Ancient wise man said: No number two on the bus. Makes clean up a lot easier.

Heard stories that leaving the black open all of the time will cause certain materials to solidify and require a professional tank cleaning.

AMEN!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
People who leave the black tank drain open are uninformed. They are in for a nasty surprise.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I always hookup the sewer hose when hooking up everything else (assuming we have full hookup). Setup once and be done. If we are camping short term, then both valves stay closed. Tanks are dumped when full. With a family of 4, we usually fill the grey tank everyday 2 to 3 days and fill the black tank every 7 days. When we camp seasonally, the grey tank valve is open all the time and dump the black tank when needed. When dumping the black tank, I fill it afterwards with the in-tank rinser, as many as 4 times to make sure the tank is cleaned of debris and the hose is cleaned as well.

Camping seasonally, we see the weekend warriors do all kinds of strange things. Even saw someone take a hammer to one of his awning's arms trying to retract it in a storm. I went to help him with his awning during the storm, then showed him how to do it properly after the storm was over. Perhaps you could educate these people as well and maybe you won't see it happen so often. I for one have never watched someone else setup camp so intently that I knew they were opening the black tank valve and leaving it open.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Pro's to leaving black tank, open.

None

Here is why,

Poop pile, because not enough liquid
Sewer gas, you just left the valve open to it.
Waste hose, it's loaded with junk.
Grey tank, if you open it you subject that tank to bad bacteria.
Freeze, dump hose will freeze with effluent in it.

Keep valve's closed till the tanks are 3/4 full. Use Happy Camper Tank treatment in each tank.

Now you have learned something important, Happy Trails

You will have
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Much ado about doo doo!

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I usually don't connect the sewer hose (I use the Sewer Solution) until we have to dump, or before we leave, which ever comes first.

If we arrive and the tanks are near full, then, yeah, I'll connect it all up and dump then. I only use the black tank flusher before heading back on the road.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

pkick
Explorer
Explorer
Thankfully I never hauled a sewage hose in my Navy days! Left that to the A Gang.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Another swabby here.

I hook everything up as soon as I park. BUT I don't dump until I'm about to leave. Then I do black tank, then grey tank. Also I now do the GEO method for cleaning.

Smooth Sailin' !!!
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, I don't connect the hose to the dump until I am ready to dump. After I dump I put 3 gallons of water into the black tank and close the valves until the next dump. I also have a Tornado in the black tank that I use every week or so, or if I don't plan to use the RV for a few weeks. I gave up using any additives in the tanks long ago.

During the camping season, I always have water, at least 3 gallons, in the black tank.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
We quite often dump the black tank as soon as we get to a site with hookups.
It's because we've got a full black tank upon arrival. I like to travel with something in the black tank to help insure that stuff that gets on the level sensor has a chance to maybe get washed off.

And while we may leave the dump hose hooked up, I will shut the drain valve.
I hope that no one is watching that closely to understand the madness to my method.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Open for weeks at a time???:E I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't take weeks to realize you have a major and very stinky problem.

When traveling, I typically put about 5 gallons of water in both tanks along with a cup full of laundry detergent (Oxy-Clean) and a cap full of Calgon. Upon arrival at our destination and during the setting up procedure, I'll drain both tanks and add a little fresh water (about another 5 gallons) of fresh water back into the black tank.......and then CLOSE both tank drain valves.

The ONLY rv'ers I've ever heard of who left their black tank valve open are 1st timers as that 1st time will usually educate them in the correct procedure. 😮

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....