cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading TV and Audio

Jbracey0
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! I am new to the forums and new to the RVing life! We are buying our first motor home this week a 2002 Bounder 35S. We have been looking at RVS for a while and we will be doing a lot of upgrades to this old one. We are shopping around for new dinette, couch, chair and cabin chairs and replacing all the flooring and painting walls and cabinets etc. Since we are going to be gutting it I also want to make some tech upgrades. Does anyone have any experience with having large tvs installed? It's a hard subject for me to find for RVS but I was thinking maybe ceiling mounting a swing arm large 55inch for the bedroom.

We stream everything at the home or digital hard drive so we don't have to bring the discs. Does anyone have tips for syncing all of the audio and tvs together? Example: audio over the speakers in the rv and all the tvs playing the same video? I know it takes some hardware to calibrate the lag I just need to know where to start. Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Jake, let me be the first to welcome you to RV.Net. I'm going to swap out TV's next year! I'm going to have a carpenter do the work so everything fits right and he will be able to match the wood up if need be!

alan777
Explorer
Explorer
Great ideas

Jbracey0
Explorer
Explorer
pconroy328 wrote:
Jbracey0 wrote:
I know that Internet service will be little to none. I just thought there would be more info about people setting up a LAN or plexi servers. I'm thinking about installing Samsung tvs so I can view downloaded content via WiFi direct.

I have a wireless LAN in my motorhome. But like Bill said, so far the places I've been have horrific bandwidth. Zero chance of streaming anything.

Now, if I'm camping in my driveway, then I can get pretty good thruput. 🙂

There's no way I'd hotspot enable things either. Overages on my ATT bill would be insane. I'd blow thru my 20G plan in a few days.

So, I'm curious too. When you say you're going to stream everything -- how?

Yeah I don't have unlimited data. I was wanting to just have a multi-room setup playing simultaneously like Sonos essentially but with also video. I have 3 different ways so far of playing video that I had in mind.

1) Blu-ray player with split hdmi to play same video
2) Network hard drive to play downloaded content
3) Setup a wifi direct connection to play video from phone or tablet (You can download your movies from Vudu/Google/Disney apps for play back later features)

The hard part is figuring out if the wireless hdmi will sync the audio and video in multiple rooms since I've never used it. I'm going to take it to a place to remove the carpet and replace with laminate and maybe take that opportunity to run something in the subfloor. I really want a central vac now too.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Jbracey0 wrote:
I know that Internet service will be little to none. I just thought there would be more info about people setting up a LAN or plexi servers. I'm thinking about installing Samsung tvs so I can view downloaded content via WiFi direct.

I have a wireless LAN in my motorhome. But like Bill said, so far the places I've been have horrific bandwidth. Zero chance of streaming anything.

Now, if I'm camping in my driveway, then I can get pretty good thruput. 🙂

There's no way I'd hotspot enable things either. Overages on my ATT bill would be insane. I'd blow thru my 20G plan in a few days.

So, I'm curious too. When you say you're going to stream everything -- how?

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
More than willing to help you plan your system. Read up on the Sonos and how to set up a system. I only use the Sonos Connect which require your own speakers and amps. I'm not on this forum much but I'll watch for your PM. Good Luck
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I ran a 30 foot HDMI cable through the overhead A/C ducts.

Jbracey0
Explorer
Explorer
katoomer wrote:
Build the system just like you would at home. Huge Audiophile you say. I'm the same.
I used a Cradlepoint MBR router with a verizon data stick. For audio, attached to that is a NAS drive that stores 20,000 songs in apple lossless that plays thru 2 separate Sonos Connects so I can play all my music controlled by my phone sitting in my lawn chair. Inside I have a Marantz AV receiver, Dish Hopper, and 5 6" Klipsch in ceiling speakers and a Velodyne Mini Vee sub. Amazing sound quality. Most quality AV receivers have more than one HDMI outputs so 1 to your main tv and 1 to your bedroom tv.
Outside I have a Sonos Connect as my source that runs thru a Bryston B100 integrated to a pair of Tera outdoor speakers that I hang on the side of the coach. I also have an input for audio from my outside tv.
SQ is incredible.

That's the info I'm looking for. I've been wanting to get Sonos for the house because I heard great things about their Tech to compensate for lag being awesome even though they aren't the most high end speakers. I have a 7.1 klipsch setup built into the living room at home so I never really needed the Sonos. I hAve to figure out how they wired their speakers because they had a sub in a cabinet and a switch for the tvs, the indoor speakers, and the built in outdoor speakers. But they had not moved all their stuff out at the dealer so I don't know what they will end up ripping out. Worst case scenario I buy it on Amazon to test and return whatever is ****.

I will probably PM you in December with some questions if you don't mind!

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
Build the system just like you would at home. Huge Audiophile you say. I'm the same.
I used a Cradlepoint MBR router with a verizon data stick. For audio, attached to that is a NAS drive that stores 20,000 songs in apple lossless that plays thru 2 separate Sonos Connects so I can play all my music controlled by my phone sitting in my lawn chair. Inside I have a Marantz AV receiver, Dish Hopper, and 5 6" Klipsch in ceiling speakers and a Velodyne Mini Vee sub. Amazing sound quality. Most quality AV receivers have more than one HDMI outputs so 1 to your main tv and 1 to your bedroom tv.
Outside I have a Sonos Connect as my source that runs thru a Bryston B100 integrated to a pair of Tera outdoor speakers that I hang on the side of the coach. I also have an input for audio from my outside tv.
SQ is incredible.
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s

Jbracey0
Explorer
Explorer
That mount is exactly what I need!

And I don't use kodi since I have hundreds of things on vudu already and we don't have unlimited data, I am looking around as many different options as I can. I am a huge audiophile and love cinema too so I know that most RVers like to relax and enjoy the great outdoors but we will also being using this more business so some days I like to just unwind.

I'm not handy enough to redo the flooring since it has a huge slide but I found a custom place outside of Charlotte NC that does custom work so I'm interested to get their input after Thanksgiving for awesome mods.

I want the RV to go from bleh and old to awesome and badass.

alan777
Explorer
Explorer
Great info

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Jbracey0 wrote:
Hi! I am new to the forums and new to the RVing life! We are buying our first motor home this week a 2002 Bounder 35S. We have been looking at RVS for a while and we will be doing a lot of upgrades to this old one. We are shopping around for new dinette, couch, chair and cabin chairs and replacing all the flooring and painting walls and cabinets etc. Since we are going to be gutting it I also want to make some tech upgrades. Does anyone have any experience with having large tvs installed? It's a hard subject for me to find for RVS but I was thinking maybe ceiling mounting a swing arm large 55inch for the bedroom.

We stream everything at the home or digital hard drive so we don't have to bring the discs. Does anyone have tips for syncing all of the audio and tvs together? Example: audio over the speakers in the rv and all the tvs playing the same video? I know it takes some hardware to calibrate the lag I just need to know where to start. Thanks!

heres exactly what you need
http://www.displays2go.com/P-35745/Flip-Down-TV-Ceiling-Mount-Sloped-Surfaces?st=Category&sid=26425
the new led Tv,s are super lite so weight is no problem

Jbracey0
Explorer
Explorer
I know the sync will be an issue for sure. I might have to find some tech that can manually set the lag.

55" might be too big but the distance viewing thing doesn't apply they way it used to with CRT or early LCDs. I know that Internet service will be little to none. I just thought there would be more info about people setting up a LAN or plexi servers. I'm thinking about installing Samsung tvs so I can view downloaded content via WiFi direct.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you plan to stream much of your TV programming have you considered what your internet source will be? If you plan to use cellular it is going to eat up a huge amount of data. If you are going to be at RV parks offering free WiFi the service is usually too poor to stream anything or, in many cases, the parks have blocked access to many of these sites due to overloading.
As mentioned earlier, 55" TV in the bedroom is going to need a great deal of support but it may also be too big as you will not be very far away from the TV while laying in bed. Be sure you size the TV to the need and the distance from which you will be watching.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Jbracey0 wrote:
Thanks for the info! I completely forgot about wireless hdmi!

I have wireless HDMI. One issue is synchronizing sound with mouth movement. Not perfect, but close.

J-Tech Digital HDbitT Series Wireless HDMI