cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walk around while Class C in motion?

knowmadically
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about getting a Class C motor home. Do most of you require that your passengers stay seated and buckled up? Or do you let your passengers walk around while the vehicle is in motion? What about children or babies? Do you have them in carseats?

Just curious what the general practice is among those of you with a Class C and what your thoughts on safety are. Also, are there legal requirements?
49 REPLIES 49

YZ
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting that you mentioned Greyhounds.. this is rather timely..

The driver, I gather, has 26 years experience piloting these rigs..

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/8-passengers-and-driver-injured-in-greyhound-bus-crash-1.2737474

That is the bugger about accidents.. they come when they are unexpected..

vinny68
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! I bet some of you wear belts with your suspenders.

grimes
Explorer
Explorer
Seat belts are bolted to floor but I not sure how well the furniture is fastened to the floor.sofa coming loose can cause serious damage if you have a Lap belt on.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
road-runner wrote:

Not one of those busses has a seat belt in them. Not one person has died........... yet.
But do the shells of those busses disintegrate link a motorhome shell does in a rollover? (Not a loaded question, I don't know the answer).

Everyone in my family are pilots, between us we have uncounted hours / miles of air time.

In the past 75 years that we've been flying only one member of the family has been injured in non-combat aviation.

A cousin of mine, a then CHP pilot fractured vertebrae in his neck when air turbulence shot him up out of his seat and his head hit with enough force to cause fractures.

He was wearing a full harness with double shoulder harnesses when it happened.

It's like the PowerBall, your chances of winning are remote, but somebody's number will come up, eventually.

Nobody doubts that cigarettes (amongst other things) cause cancer, I still see people smoking (drinking alcohol, etc., etc.) everyday.

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III

Not one of those busses has a seat belt in them. Not one person has died........... yet.
But do the shells of those busses disintegrate link a motorhome shell does in a rollover? (Not a loaded question, I don't know the answer).
2009 Fleetwood Icon

YZ
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:

The Greyhound line and its affiliates operate over 2,000 highway coaches, all of which have washrooms but no seat belts.

There has been some disastrous multi death incidents... may not be greyhound but like type of bus..

I think the OP said it best..justify it anyway you want but you have to live with the consequences.. no one ever thinks they are going to be in an accident...but don't every believe that just because you can walk around in a moving vehicle, that it is safe...

So if you are comfortable with it, go for it..

My tv is large enough that you can move in it or sleep in the bed in the back while it is in motion...For my family, it is never going to happen while it is in motion.....

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have friend who's family own a good-sized bus company. They've been in business since the late 50's. They have school busses, local charter busses, and highway coaches. Dozens and dozens of them. Collectively those busses travel millions of miles a year.

The Greyhound line and its affiliates operate over 2,000 highway coaches, all of which have washrooms but no seat belts.

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose, in the end, it just depends on weather someone feels that a Coke or a Sandwich is worth being injured, or dying for. That's a matter of personal choice, and lets face it, stuff happens.

That decision is something that each person must make for themselves.

As for me, I don't know how that I could live with myself if my wife were hurt or killed because I didn't want to take the time to pull over for a few minutes.

I'm not trying to say that everybody feels that way, that's just me.
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fences on both sides are deer and livestock tested. Here is just a random sample of the interstate I was refering to.

2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
Compromise. DW equals garyhaupt, DH equals iamichabod. We carefully do it, for bathroom visits, snacks, drinks, etc. adjusting our alertness and decreasing our speed considerably.
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Cattle, all wildlife. Then we have the vehicles that seem to just cross over and enter oncoming, potholes, soft shoulders, debris ON the road, driver inattenetion for the split-second, yes, tire blow-out, weather conditions that provide moments of gut wrenching fear. Any of these and more."

WOW if I were afraid of all these things I would just keep it parked and wait for the sky to FALL.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of people do it,right or wrong.Just look at the news with Ted Cruz being interviewed in his motorhome while traveling down the road not buckled in.I have done it but things have to be just right to do it..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
Gene in NE wrote:
YZ wrote:
As a first responder, I would say it all depends on how much you like the person who is going to unbuckle and walk around in a moving vehicle...
There is a big difference in road conditions in different parts of the country.

Out here in the midwest you can travel for miles in wide open space with clear visibility of both sides of the road. The interstates have fences on both sides to keep the deer off the interstate. These factors all have to be considered whether it is safe to stand up or walk around. Probably the only unexpected driving correction would be a total tire failure.

What kind of fences do they have that will keep the deer off the interstate ?

Can anyone add to this list? Cattle, all wildlife. Then we have the vehicles that seem to just cross over and enter oncoming, potholes, soft shoulders, debris ON the road, driver inattenetion for the split-second, yes, tire blow-out, weather conditions that provide moments of gut wrenching fear. Any of these and more...but then again, if a driver is of the opinion that it can't happen to them, or they just don't care anyway...there is nothing that can be further said that will change their miinds.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Gene in NE wrote:
YZ wrote:
As a first responder, I would say it all depends on how much you like the person who is going to unbuckle and walk around in a moving vehicle...
There is a big difference in road conditions in different parts of the country.

Out here in the midwest you can travel for miles in wide open space with clear visibility of both sides of the road. The interstates have fences on both sides to keep the deer off the interstate. These factors all have to be considered whether it is safe to stand up or walk around. Probably the only unexpected driving correction would be a total tire failure.

What kind of fences do they have that will keep the deer off the interstate ?