cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do you fill up

dmctlc
Explorer
Explorer
Well it seems that not a day goes since I brought my MH that I don't think of new questions to ask about motorhome travel. Here's another and again want to thank you all for you inputs, ahead of time. So question is where do most of you fill up you tank. Mine is 80 gals and unless I'm traveling I won't fill it up. I have a Sam's down the street but not sure if Sam's and other places might prohibit filling up a Motorhome or might have a max amount you can spend which in turn limits how much you can fill it. I'm sure truck stops would be the choice among most but not sure where any around where I live in Tyngsboro MA on the NH border they are and are there some I should stay away from because they have poor quality fuel. I know once I get my GPS hopefully today that will help but nothing bets inputs from all you that have lived it. Thanks Again...
Dana & wife Terri
Daughter - Stephanie
Granddaughter - Callie (9 y/o)
Son - Phillip
Granddaughter - Charlotte (1 1/2 y/o)
American Cocker Spaniel- Shadow
2018 Georgetown Series 5 GT5 31L5
25 REPLIES 25

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
The best advise I've heard for Sam's is to go inside and buy a gift card and use it for fuel. The only limit is what the card is set at, i.e. 1K equals 1K
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
I too live in MA and I use Costco when home and refilling. When on the road, I have a book called Next Exit and it tells what is at each and every exit on highways so you know where the truck/RV ready stations are. On byways it is harder, I was in Vermont and pulled into a station that the roof over the pumps was about 12'8" and I was 12'6" pretty scary but needed the bathroom and needed fuel (diesel with the truck I was pulling a fifthwheel with). WATCH your heights of overhangs and such and watch how much space you have to pull o ut and not take the tank with your or the sidewalk/front window of the station. Safe travels!! Costco never gives me problems. Also there is a truckstop just off 95 near 495, not sure if you are near there.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
Flying J or Pilots

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
Being we have a diesel 39' motorhome pulling a 24' trailer, we use Gasbuddy and only use stations that accommodate large trucks. Plus there can be up to 20-30 cents difference in the price of diesel fuel. We now plan our fuel stops ahead of time.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
After driving a 35 foot class a for 12 years I did try many times to find the best price. After around 5 years, I decided it was a silly thing to be doing because the potential for being in a place where I'd be stuck was too great. So then I tended to stop at truck stops...the 2nd tier type places, Sinclair and others.

Now that I'm driving a 35 foot and pulling a toad, I'm 60 foot long. That is nothing to mess with. The attempts to find the lowest prices are gone. Now it's only one thing...will it be easy to get into the station, buy my 45 gallons of diesel and leave? That's all I care about now. Price is 2nd or 3rd.

I drive until I'm at 1/2 tank of my 90 gallons, and then start looking for somewhere convenient.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you get the app "Gas Buddy" on your Iphone / Smartphone, it will help you locate gas stations very easy. Second, if you set the fuel search to "diesel" instead of gas, you'll find most places that accommodate diesel fuel fill ups, have larger and more convenient parking area, and access in and out. (Not always, but it does help). Pretty much, everywhere that sells diesel will also sell gas.

You can search for fuel stations by pulling up the map view. It positions your location and then shows where the fuel stations are in relation to where you are. It's also a great little app to use if you are just trying to find exactly where you are when traveling too.

Unless you are selecting fuel stations in the heart of most cities and towns, you will not have too much difficulty navigating your motor home. If you plan your fuel stops outside of most major towns, you'll have much better success for easy in-easy out service stations.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some places make it .. Hard.. For example today I pulled into a Shell and used my Rewards card to get a discount (Only a few cents but a few cents times 50 gallons......) took three cycles of the pump to do it.

I basically choose a station by physical attributes.. At this shell I was able to pull off the road in the manner of pulling off onto the shoulder, "Slide" up to the pump, gas up and pull back on the road in much the same way. Did not actually "TURN" into the station.. This is the absolute BEST layout of a gas station EVER for a motor home... That fills on the curb side.

Other stations I've had to drive very very very carefully

But not that one (Circle K.. Georgia HWY 17, South bound, Darien GA)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always fill up where the RV can get in and out without issue. This, to me, is much more important that the price. I do price shop but I am not going to go way out of my way or to an unknown scenario to save 20,30 or 40 cents per gallon. I use truck stops for my 40' RV towing a car. Generally that means Pilot/Flying J but I will also visit a Buckees's or similar station if I know I can get in and out easily. The Flying J just E of Houston is something like $2.61/ gallon while the Buckee's was $2.12. The pumps at Buckee's cut off at $150 so I had to use my CC twice and the pump volume means you are going to be there a bit longer than you would be at a Flying J pump but I am OK with that condiering I am saving about $50.
On the other hand, If I am traveling cross-Country trying to get from point A to point B as soon as possible, I am stopping at Pilot/Flying J every time. Easy in, easy out, dump, water, overnight parking, good food, cash price even when using a CC plus the PFJ RV discount. Yes, they are more expensive but in many cases this is a service I am willing to pay for.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
dmctlc wrote:
Well it seems that not a day goes since I brought my MH that I don't think of new questions to ask about motorhome travel. Here's another and again want to thank you all for you inputs, ahead of time. So question is where do most of you fill up you tank. Mine is 80 gals and unless I'm traveling I won't fill it up. I have a Sam's down the street but not sure if Sam's and other places might prohibit filling up a Motorhome or might have a max amount you can spend which in turn limits how much you can fill it. I'm sure truck stops would be the choice among most but not sure where any around where I live in Tyngsboro MA on the NH border they are and are there some I should stay away from because they have poor quality fuel. I know once I get my GPS hopefully today that will help but nothing bets inputs from all you that have lived it. Thanks Again...

Many places have a maximum dollar amount on a card, sometimes you need to go inside to pay, they'll run your card and you can fill to full. Only issues with a Sam's Costco etc is access. Be VERY aware of how to get out, repeat, HOW TO GET OUT of a station. Always fill up before storing, that means when you are nearing home, fill it up, don't let it sit around with a 1/4 tank, good way to get water in the gas/fuel from condensation. no air in the tank, no condensation.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
When diesel was $4.00 range I used two cards to fillup if necessary. If it is the card company that has the restriction you should be able to talk to them and explain your fuel needs or as another has said have them put a hold on what you think you'll use and then go back in and they will adjust to what you actually used.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I use grocery bonus for 30 gal then go to wherever it cost least.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you have a Gas Motorhome The truck stop diesel lanes dont apply. Good news is you can use any gas station you can fit! No station will refuse to sell you 80 gallons! Your credit card transaction on "pay at the pump" may be limited however to a certain amount for the stations and card concern over stolen cards. Almost all cards will generally allow you Two transactions (swipe once fill and swipe again to finish) the Third time may not be approved ,so just use a second card.You can also go in and prepay/ authorize using a card or cash.
In my opinion not filling up unless traveling is not a good practice. your tank should be full while sitting to lessen moisture accumulation in the tank. Like many others we try to fill up near the end of the day before setting up.Since i use diesel my station choices are different but using a easy access busy station lessens the bad gas concern. Being in the trucking business and knowing a few drivers, all gas comes from the same refinery tanks so I don't really care about the" brand"
Bill

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Two Apps you should have are "GasBuddy" and "iExit". We have about 50ft. on the road when towing the 5'vr-I generally look for truck stops--there are no height issues, usually plenty of room to maneuver and a good restaurant.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

Leeblev
Explorer
Explorer
I use truck stops wherever possible because I hate having to wait while a small hose fills my tank. Just remember that if you use truck stops, observe protocol and as soon as you finish pumping, pull up like the trucks do so the next guy can start fueling. There isn't a $ limit in truck lanes. I use Pilot/Flying J because I have a frequent fuel card allowing me to start the pump without having to go inside. After fueling, I pull up and then go inside to pay. Occasionally, I get behind RVers who don't respect that protocol and it is irritating. I understand how the professional drivers feel when RVers do that. Please pull forward as soon as you are finished fueling.
As for Sam's. When I leave home, I top off at a Sam's club in Vacaville, and when returning, I always fill up there. Yes, they have a max of $100, but I restart the the pump again. I don't like it only because it is an auto pump, and it is slow fueling. It is the closest to home, so I use it.
Lee

2001 36' Kountry Star DP