cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which size RV to tow Jeep Wrangler on trailer?

jeeper5usa
Explorer
Explorer
I am researching, and am new to website so I apologize in advance if my post is in the wrong place. I want to know which size RV would be a good size for me to tow my 1999 Jeep Wrangler on a full size trailer bed. I thought about buying a travel trailer and towing with my jeep but really want a tiolet and more space to move aroun in. Considering a C class, but is that enough or should I be looking at a bigger class RV?
34 REPLIES 34

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I were towing anything beyond the 5000 pound range as the OP is considering (Wrangler + trailer), I'd be researching a Super C with an 8000 pound hitch. If the Super C is ruled out, then I'd be looking at a very short class C built on an E450 with an appropriate hitch rating.

Too bad you can't tow that Wrangler with all wheels on the ground like we do with our 2006 Liberty.

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
Just as FYI,

I tow my 20 feet Jayco TT (3200lb loaded) with my 4dr 2010 Rubicon (3500lb towing capacity) all summer long.
For the record, the exact same Wrangler in Europe (3.8 gas) is rated for 7400lb.

Sleep 4 (bank house), small towing foot print = only 7 feet wide, 9.5 feet tall (with AC).

A Girl vs RV world - I know I can do this!
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon +
2015 Jayco SLX 184BH + Andersen No Sway WDH

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
It is my understanding that any new Class C built on Ford's E450 cut-away chassis will have a 7500# rated hitch. Plus, the 2016 E450's now have a 6 speed transmission. There are several manufacturers using the E450.

I am downsizing from a Class A to a Class C and I have a Forest River Sunseeker on order (with the 2016 changes to the E450). I tow a Hummer H3 4-down and it weighs about 5,000 pounds. So I was careful about which Class C I purchased.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

alvinator
Explorer
Explorer
The 2016 Jayco Greyhawk and Redhawk are both rated to tow 7500 Lbs.
Al and Jan
Rosy the Yorkie
2021 Jayco Redhawk 22A

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
jeeper5usa wrote:
PghBob. Thanks for the heads up on the show. I'll definitely be there!

With a 2000 pull, I can pull a little guy travel trailer with no issues. Might not be the most comfortable but at 55mph I don't foresee a problem.

That's why I'm asking, researching. If I tow the Wrangler, it will be on a trailer, I'm thinking behind a Class C. Possible? Recommended? It's either that or a travel trailer around 1500 lbs.

I had a 2000 Jeep Wrangler with the 2000 lb rating. I towed a 1600-1700 lb pop up camper. It pulled it ok, but the problem is stopping. You will want to have some sort of braking for the trailer if you decide to pull something. The general rule of thumb was to stay around 20% under your tow rating. So a 2000 lb tow rating minus 20% would be about 1600 lbs. And that is not including any other people or cargo.

When you start talking about putting it on a trailer to tow it on, you are probably going to be over 5000 lbs (for both)...Unless you buy a new Class C that might have a higher tow limit of 5000 lbs, you will want to look at something larger. But be advised, many Class A's have a 5000 tow limit as well.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

mbryson
Explorer
Explorer
TJDave wrote:
I've been trailering my Jeep behind our class C for many years without a problem. I used to flat tow, but trailering suits my needs better.
I chose our 26'C because it had the E450 chassis on the smallest MH available. Same chassis as the longer 29-31' C class, but with less overhang and more unused capacity. The next smaller size is on an E350.
I also added some welds along where the hitch meets the frame to make me feel better. The factory hitch mounts with large bolts only.
It was a compromise because I would rather not have the rear corner bed that comes on the 26'. When I upgrade, I will be looking at Super C motorhomes, but my set up has been working for me. At least 7 other friends in my club are also trailering Jeeps with their class C.

TJDave,

Are you still running the above combination? I'm seriously looking at something similar and wanted to know your current thoughts?

(My "Jeep" is 4480 lbs (trail ready) and I have the lightest trailer I can find at 1300 lbs). I'd be overweight for the 5000 lb hitches and at capacity for the more rare units with a 6000 lb hitch.

jeeper5usa
Explorer
Explorer
Hey explorer, thanks for the info. I'm going to check out the Super Cs

jeeper5usa
Explorer
Explorer

jeeper5usa
Explorer
Explorer

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
TJ Dave....as pictured...whats the trailer weigh (w/ the jeep etc on it) ?
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

TJDave
Explorer
Explorer
I've been trailering my Jeep behind our class C for many years without a problem. I used to flat tow, but trailering suits my needs better.
I chose our 26'C because it had the E450 chassis on the smallest MH available. Same chassis as the longer 29-31' C class, but with less overhang and more unused capacity. The next smaller size is on an E350.
I also added some welds along where the hitch meets the frame to make me feel better. The factory hitch mounts with large bolts only.
It was a compromise because I would rather not have the rear corner bed that comes on the 26'. When I upgrade, I will be looking at Super C motorhomes, but my set up has been working for me. At least 7 other friends in my club are also trailering Jeeps with their class C.

2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32sa
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Maximus-3, Blue Ox, RVi3, Cooltech

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
bshpilot wrote:
the GCWR is exactly that Gross COMBINED Weight Rating - it is the sum total of all things, jeep, mods, people, gear & trailer. you should not exceed the manufactures GCWR.

Olddub - the trailer (and gear in it) shouldn't exceed 2k according to jeep the entire entourage (jeep/people/trailer etc) shouldn't exceed the GCWR

Got it (I think!). Thanks.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Olddud wrote:
bshpilot, what I was trying to get at was that tow rating has nothing to do with people and cargo, etc., in the car. According to Jeep data on the web, there is about 1000lbs available for people, etc., and 2000 tow. The tow hitch weight is included in the so called payload rating. Of course this is for the current model, which may be similar.

I got concerned because I have been pulling 2000lbs (almost exactly) for years with my Wranglers, and have loaded the inside with tools, etc., and of course people.

(I'm probably completely missing the point, but I like to type.)

the GCWR is exactly that Gross COMBINED Weight Rating - it is the sum total of all things, jeep, mods, people, gear & trailer. you should not exceed the manufactures GCWR.

Olddub - the trailer (and gear in it) shouldn't exceed 2k according to jeep the entire entourage (jeep/people/trailer etc) shouldn't exceed the GCWR
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
bshpilot, what I was trying to get at was that tow rating has nothing to do with people and cargo, etc., in the car. According to Jeep data on the web, there is about 1000lbs available for people, etc., and 2000 tow. The tow hitch weight is included in the so called payload rating. Of course this is for the current model, which may be similar.

I got concerned because I have been pulling 2000lbs (almost exactly) for years with my Wranglers, and have loaded the inside with tools, etc., and of course people.

(I'm probably completely missing the point, but I like to type.)