cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Any Manual Tranny Work?

ForestRiverTeac
Explorer
Explorer
Now that we've moved from a trailer to our Class A, we're thinking about what kind of Toad we'd like to get. It seems like more and more new automatic tranny cars can't be towed flat, so we're thinking about getting something with a manual transmission. It wouldn't be a daily driver, so we're not concerned about having to shift in high-traffic areas.

Are all manual transmission cars able to be towed flat?

Thanks!
On the road and happy with Jed and Tilly, my four-legged camping buddies
2015 Thor A.C.E. 30.1
16 REPLIES 16

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
ForestRiverTeach wrote:
Now that we've moved from a trailer to our Class A, we're thinking about what kind of Toad we'd like to get. It seems like more and more new automatic tranny cars can't be towed flat, so we're thinking about getting something with a manual transmission. It wouldn't be a daily driver, so we're not concerned about having to shift in high-traffic areas.

Thanks!

Not all manual tranny's can be towed and you should have a Dinghy towing guide for reference... Dinghy Towing...
Best toad, is one that you prefer as a DD, so as not to waste dollars on a specialty vehicle. In our case the DD of choice was a Jeep JK Wrangler and one that's hard to beat as a toad and also a vehicle for every type of terrain.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

robertbenita
Explorer
Explorer
Have used a manual Ford Fiesta without issue and are setting up a new Kia Rio. Owner's manual and ask the manufacturer. I don't think all manual transmissions play well with towing.

Doug156
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2009 Subaru Forester with a manual transmission. It is one of the few Subarus which can be towed. However, it must be towed 4 down. A dolly cannot be used because of the all wheel drive. So you reallyneed to check the owners manual.

Best wisher with the new RV
Doug & Mary Jane
2014 Bay Star by Newmar
2009 Subaru Toad
Ziggy & Maxi, the hounds
Retired and loving it

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
For me it came down to the Ford Edge and the Honda CR-V. The base Honda is lighter and a bit cheaper, so when I found a good deal on the CR-V, voila, la toad. Cost and extra grand to put a tow plate and wire it for action.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Some stick-shift transmissions have their internal lubrication driven by a small pump on the input shaft. If the driven wheels are turning and the drive to them from the transmission is still hooked up, the transmission will be wrecked.

In my case, it took about 1800 miles! It's a long time ago and it was a UK Ford, mechanically similar to the Pinto (rear wheel drive).
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:
looking through the FMCA towing guide, I dont see a manual trans that cant be towed. If its a traditional clutch with a planetary gear transmission, I dont see a problem towing it. but as stated, check the owners manual

Yes there are some that can not be towed. Sometimes because of mechanical limitations, sometimes because of legal decisions by the vehicle manufacturer.

For example, you will not see any VW's or Mazdas towable 4 wheels down (per manufacturer's recommendations anyway).
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
ForestRiverTeach wrote:

Thanks!

check REMCO's database
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
ForestRiverTeach wrote:

Thanks!

I think there are many more automatics that are towable now than ever before. Most Fords, other than the Escape are towable, Lincoln, many GM vehicles, some Jeeps. I know I didn't mention any foreign cars but I grew up in Detroit and to me they don't count.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are indeed a good number of manual tranny rides that can not be towed. and a couple that can not even be TRAILERED without special actions (I mean full auto transport trailer no wheels down)

Best choce is go to the Remco Towing Store.. This page has, as I recall 3 main frames.

The one on the left is a questions frame (only about five or so) enter your vehicle year, make, model engine and transmission and such

The main frame then answers all your questions.

Except for the LP-1 device do not feel obligated to buy from Remco

ALso Remco used to make a drive shaft disconnect (For use on Rear Wheel Drive) and axel lock (Front Wheel Drive) which I like better than the LP-1

However my current car (A 2001 Dodge Neon SE 2.0 L 3-speed auto Front wheel drive) You can not use an axel lock because there is not enough room to operate it.. Thus I use the LP-1.. Works too.

On my older 1992 Lumina APV, before it died,, I loved that axle lock.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Our first "toad" was a 1996 Ford Contour, 5 spd stick. The next was a 2007 Chevy HHR with automatic. Our current "toad" is a 2011 Ford Ranger, auto/4WD.

It's my understanding that most manual tranny cars can be towed 4 down with little to no modification. However, NOT the "all wheel drive" versions.

What you really need to do is RESEARCH thoroughly what vehicles can and cannot. Start with your owners manual. Then...what do you really want? Some cars can be towed 4-down...but you have to pull over every couple hundred miles to start the motor (get oil pumping in the tranny). Would you mind that inconvenience?
Others, like my Contour, HHR and Ranger require nothing like that at all.

Automatic tranny, is of course, more convenient....to say nothing of easier to sell when you're finished with it. However, these cars (automatics) seem to be harder to find. GM most likely has the most.

G'luck!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You always have the option of a tow dolly.

I believe most front wheel drive cars can be dolly towed. That would increase your possibilities.

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
looking through the FMCA towing guide, I dont see a manual trans that cant be towed. If its a traditional clutch with a planetary gear transmission, I dont see a problem towing it. but as stated, check the owners manual
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
ForestRiverTeach wrote:

Thanks!

NO! Always check the Owners Manual for "recreational Towing".
No matter who tells you it can be towed, no matter what list you look at, ALWAYS check the Owners Manual, and believe what it tells you!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
check the motorhome magazine towing guide at motorhome.com

And regardless, always check in the owners manual of the car you're thinking of buying, under "recreational towing"
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog