cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dutch Oven size recommendation

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking either a 12' or 14' Camp Chef Dutch oven with feet and lid with a lip.

We cook regularly for 4 to 6 people. My initial thoughts to use it was for baking desserts, breads, rolls,.. I am leaning towards the 12', but I would be interested in everyone's thoughts. The price difference is $10.

14' Specifications:
Lid Volume: 2 3/4 Qt.
Lid Depth: 1 7/8"
Base Volume: 9 1/8 Qt.
Base Depth: 5"
Base Inside Diameter: 13"
Base Outside Diameter: 13 3/4"
Weight: 28 lbs.

12' Specifications
diameter as 12"
Capacity is 9 1/3 qts, 8 qts in the base, 1 1/3 in the lid
Weight: 21.8 pounds

thanks,
Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie
25 REPLIES 25

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
DeanRIowa wrote:
I ended up going with the 12" dutch oven. I will probably get a 10" sooner or later as well. Thank you all for the recommendations.

thanks,
Dean

Sounds like a great plan for your needs
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
I ended up going with the 12" dutch oven. I will probably get a 10" sooner or later as well. Thank you all for the recommendations.

thanks,
Dean
2016 Silverado

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
I'm starting with a 8 qt unfooted Griswold DO mostly because it's what I "gifted"(read stole)self with from my mother's apt.

I'll be using a foil mod like Lil Kopit suggests atop and a CI trivet below to compensate when cooking on an open fire.

I realise that most recipes are geared for a 12" but find it's not much of a stretch to scale a recipe down by a 1/4. When I look at the pot's size I can imagine being able to cook for 4-6 or even 8 people in it.
Or to put it another way, that's up to 2 quarts of food per person when cooking for 8 people.

Now baking is a different animal but since I can make bisquits/johnny cakes for 5 in a 12" CI skillet and the base of an 8 qt DO is bigger thinking I'll be fine.

I should point out that along with starting to RV in a small TT, I also car camp so there are times weight and size is important to me.
This could account for my belief that an 8 quart DO would be fine for 4-6 people.

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Little Kopit wrote:
DeanRIowa wrote:
magnusfide wrote:

Welcome to the world of Cast Iron Chefs.

I found a 10" Dutch oven of mine(garage sale), but no legs and curved lid, thus not a charcoal type.

Thank you for thoughts.

Dean

One can take aluminum foil and create a rim for the edge of a rounded lid. That raised portion lets juices drip back into the rest of the recipe.

:C

You can also get a wok ring (if you can find one) and set that on top of the rounded cover to corral your charcoal. They work well and are light weight.

Rolling_Condo
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on the 12" size. I have both a regular Lodge and the deep 8 qt. Lodge. As noted above most recipes are geared for the 12". Having the deep 8 qt. is great for crowd feeding.
'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
DeanRIowa wrote:
magnusfide wrote:

I found a 10" Dutch oven of mine(garage sale), but no legs and curved lid, thus not a charcoal type.

Thank you for thoughts.

Dean

One can take aluminum foil and create a rim for the edge of a rounded lid. That raised portion lets juices drip back into the rest of the recipe.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
Go with the 12". That holds enough for your 4-6 people. As mentioned, most DO recipes are sized to the 12".

Personally I always recommend folks buy 2 of the 12". DOs aren't that expensive and while making your main course, you can use the second one to bake biscuits, breads or desserts. Trust me, you'll be glad you did. I found out quickly many years ago that once you start using DOs at campgrounds, you'll find you become very popular with your neighbors.

Most recipes are 12" that is a good point. Leaning towards the 12", as no one has suggested bigger(14") is better. I found a 10" Dutch oven of mine(garage sale), but no legs and curved lid, thus not a charcoal type.

Thank you for thoughts.

Dean
2016 Silverado

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go with the 12". That holds enough for your 4-6 people. As mentioned, most DO recipes are sized to the 12".

Personally I always recommend folks buy 2 of the 12". DOs aren't that expensive and while making your main course, you can use the second one to bake biscuits, breads or desserts. Trust me, you'll be glad you did. I found out quickly many years ago that once you start using DOs at campgrounds, you'll find you become very popular with your neighbors.

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think most recipes are written for 12's, if that is any help.
We have a 10" which makes way more than enough for the two of us, but we always have to adjust the recipes and the number of charcoal briquettes because they are written for 12 inch ovens.

I'm not sure how to interpret the volume capacity of the lid. We've never cooked anything or any liquids on top of the lid, only used it for holding the charcoal, or very rarely, turning it upside down and frying something on the underside...but I'm always up for learning new things.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
I am by no means a DO expert but would think that a 10-12 qt pot (lid and base combined) was a bit too large for baking purposes. What is the next size down? And is this a deep base or the shallower version?

I'm theorizing that a deeper oven would better simulate a S+B oven with it's "cook on lower/middle or higher shelf" instructions.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not an expert by a long shot, but we settled on and a 12 inch. With a 14 inch we had hassle finding a cover bag we liked. With a 10 inch we found that many recipes almost over flowed. We usually only carry the 12 inch because everything we need takes up space.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"