cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Microwave Oatmeal

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone direct me. On how to microwave oatmeal? I've only cooked oatmeal on stove top before. BTW, I like it fairly thick. Thanks for your help.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
13 REPLIES 13

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Duh!!!! Why didn't I think to ask here or even look on the box?? I can eat the instant but think the regular is so much better. Thank you.
And I put coffee creamer in the instant. I think it makes it taste better.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
....How about cream of wheat?....

From the Cream of Wheat webpage:

"Cream of Wheatโ„ข Original Enriched Farina is made with ground wheat, has a smooth texture and is an excellent source of iron and calcium. The traditional cook-on-stove product is prepared by boiling water or milk and slowly pouring in the ground wheat while stirring. Let it simmer while stirring for one minute after the ground wheat is blended. This product may also be cooked using a microwave oven for faster and easier preparation."
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I found a recipe awhile ago for oatmeal and it has been a staple ever since. For each serving I take 1/2 cup quick oatmeal, 1 egg, 1/2 cup milk, 1/3 of a banana smashed, mashed or smushed, 1/2 an apple cubed, and cinnamon. Mix, nuke for 2 to 3 minutes If I have raisins, they go in also. Quick, nutritious, filling and yummy
I have also just used old fashioned oats, water and a banana, and then drizzled on either maple syrup (the real stuff of course) or molasses.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
hokeypokey wrote:
mr. ed wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I wonder if I can also apply your directions using steel cut oats? I suppose it would take longer to cook, but I can get along with regular oats just fine. Here's another thought. How about cream of wheat?

And,yes. As one of you mentioned, easier cleanup. I have use of only my right arm at this time, so not having to scrub a pot is a big plus.;)

When I made steel cut oatmeal, I cook up either 1/2 pkg or whole pkg with chopped dried fruit and store it in a plastic container. It reheats in microwave just fine and I only have to cook/clean up once. I think it can be made overnight in a crockpot too, but I've never done it.

Hmm, I never thought of using a crock pot. Sounds like a good idea. I may experiment and try it. Thanks.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I wonder if I can also apply your directions using steel cut oats? I suppose it would take longer to cook, but I can get along with regular oats just fine. Here's another thought. How about cream of wheat?

And,yes. As one of you mentioned, easier cleanup. I have use of only my right arm at this time, so not having to scrub a pot is a big plus.;)

When I made steel cut oatmeal, I cook up either 1/2 pkg or whole pkg with chopped dried fruit and store it in a plastic container. It reheats in microwave just fine and I only have to cook/clean up once. I think it can be made overnight in a crockpot too, but I've never done it.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I take on trips and have at home the boxed Quaker Instant Oatmeal, Maple & Brown Sugar and Raisin, Date & Walnut. Really easy to microwave. I measure the water in the bag and pour it over the oatmeal, stir and cook, so good.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
I do this every morning. 1 part oats to 1 1/2 parts water in a glass/ceramic bowl that is at least twice as large as that volume. I microwave on high for 2 minutes. I typically use between 1/2 to 2/3 cups oats in a large cereal bowl. Usually the oats will boil up to the rim of the bowl just before it's done. Lower wattage microwaves will probably take longer. Watch for the oats to boil up so they don't spill over. Usually once it's got a good dome to it then they're done enough. I've got mine down to a science. I then add my raisins or banana, some cinnamon and about 1/8 to 1/4 cup milk, stir, and let sit for a couple minutes to absorb the added liquid.
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
1/3rd cup of oats, 1/3rd cup of water ... about 2 minutes in my microwave but the time might change based on the power of your particular microwave.
Kevin

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
It varies from microwave to microwave. I had to experiment for a while with my new stickhouse microwave. Several very messy attempts first. My best results are using about 30 percent power for a longer time.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Microwave instructions on the canister of the brand I buy. Just be sure to use a glass bowl that's large enough for expansion. Takes just 3 minutes for old fashioned and easier clean up than pan on stove top.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I have Old Fashioned oat meal daily from the microwave. DW heats for 1 minute on high , one minute on level 6 , then 45 seconds on level 5. you do need a large bowl or it will boil over.
We use these soup size cups that hold about 20 oz of liquid so they can boil up without spilling over.
I take the cooked oatmeal and cover with a saucer for a good 5 minutes, add my warmed mile, walnuts and about 4 oz of blueberrys. EAT it is wonderful.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Put it in a bowl, add water or milk, turn on the microwave 1 minute and wait. If it's not hot, do it again for another minute.

I have found with oatmeal, if it's in the microwave too long it will boil over, making a mess. So the 1 minute intervals work very well.

It works with minute oat meal or the old fashioned cook-em on the stove Quaker Oats.

Instant packages work great. Use them at work all the time. Put 2 packets in a Styrofoam coffee cup, add a little hot water from the coffee machine and done!

If no hot water, plop in the microwave for 60 seconds! done! Hot. Good!

Add a few chocolate chips (or Hershey's Kiss's), and marshmallows, and enjoy!