cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Lunches Non-Heat Non-Fridge?

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a single senior. I expect to head out for Big Bend NP next week and will be staying in the Chisos Mountain campground (no hookups but I have a 12v fridge). However, I will be taking day trips around the park on my scooter. What suggestions do you have for lunches that don't need to be cooked and need no refrigeration? I'll be taking snack bars to ward off low sugar mid-morning and mid-afternoon. One fallback is the pre-technical age option, bread and cheese. What else?
Currently Between RVs
40 REPLIES 40

ridingfamily4
Explorer
Explorer
pasta salad -
pasta
veggies
olives
can add cheese / salami
toss in your favorite italian/greek salad dressing or lemon and olive oil
The one who laughs last, thinks slowest! :B

2001 Minnie Winnie
2004 Enclosed trailer
2012 Artic Cat Wildcat
2013 Honda 400
2010 Honda 250
1991 Navy at A School
1995 Getting ready for college!
2001 Boxer

ridingfamily4
Explorer
Explorer
littlemo wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
peanut butter (extra chunky of course) on a tortilla rolled up.

Peanut butter without an ice cold glass of milk is just WRONG! LOL!

I absolutely, positively, without any hesitation, agree ten times!! 🙂

Peanut butter WITH a cold glass of milk is just WRONG!
LOL I hate milk!

I absolutely, positively, without any hesitation, agree ten times!! I HATE milk too!
The one who laughs last, thinks slowest! :B

2001 Minnie Winnie
2004 Enclosed trailer
2012 Artic Cat Wildcat
2013 Honda 400
2010 Honda 250
1991 Navy at A School
1995 Getting ready for college!
2001 Boxer

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
Kit Carson wrote:
Summer sausage and cheese will go good with Vienna sausages, spam, sardines, etc. Good luck and enjoy Bib Bend.

Ditto on the summer sausage and add Pepper Jack cheese and favorite crackers!

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
Summer sausage and cheese will go good with Vienna sausages, spam, sardines, etc. Good luck and enjoy Bib Bend.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good suggestions thus far. I'm appreciative. BTW, 12v fridge but no freezer. I'll have to watch for some mayo packets.
Currently Between RVs

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
A hero/hoagie/sub/whatever it's called in your area. You can either place the mayo/mustard/salad dressing/oil and vinegar on it or take some of those lil packets with you. Freeze the sandwich or pack it unfrozen w/ a blue pack. Frozen small bottles of water can also be used instead of the blue packs. you could also pack a salad the same way with or w/o meat and/or cheese.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a small collapsible cooler and add a couple of those blue ice blocks. On travel days, I always make up lunch ahead of time and put it in the truck using this method. The ice blocks are still frozen and the end of the day. You should be able to stow it on the scooter.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
Will you be able to heat food before you leave your rig in the morning? If so, hot lunches are easy to take in thermos containers. We have a few different sizes and shapes that I use for kids' school lunches and for the farmers to take along to the field.

Fill a thermos container with very hot water and let stand a few mins to warm it. Dump out the water and add very hot food. We like soups, stews, casseroles, pasta with sauce, meat in gravy over mashed potatoes.

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
downtheroad wrote:

Peanut butter WITH a cold glass of milk is just WRONG!
LOL I hate milk!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anything rolled up in a flour tortilla. Tortillas are sturdier than bread slices. Ex: Guacamole and smoked ham (the guacamole subs for mayo or other condiments.)

Apple or pear with sunflower butter (in case you're allergic to peanuts.)

Plenty of water.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Hummus in a squeeze tube with pita bread or crackers is one of our favorites. Those tiny grape tomatoes go well with this combination.

First thing that came to mind when I read 'hummus in a squeeze tube' was Cheese Whiz :B

:B
The addition of Cheese Whiz would elevate this lunch to Gourmet Status!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Hummus in a squeeze tube with pita bread or crackers is one of our favorites. Those tiny grape tomatoes go well with this combination.

First thing that came to mind when I read 'hummus in a squeeze tube' was Cheese Whiz :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Super_Dave wrote:
downtheroad wrote:

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

BigBlockTank
Explorer
Explorer
repeat

BigBlockTank
Explorer
Explorer
Being retired military, MRE's were the first things I thought about. I understand not everybody wants to have that to eat. I've eaten a few, so I'm not too bothered by them.

However, check the big hunting/fishing/camping stores, Bass Pro Shops, and Cabela's just name a couple. They have prepackaged meals, but I don't know how much they are.

We have a vacuum saver and cook whatever on the grill, and bag it. I've taken chicken in one of the bags when I went fishing. The chicken was good about 5 hours later. No air gets to it, so I guess that's what keeps it from spoiling.