cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

are these fuses need on solar panels??

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am going to be installing 3-100 watt and 1-160 watt solar panels on roof and of course my 335 watt panel on truck shell, and when looking around at large solar supply company see these thing that fit on the MC-4 connections to provide a fuse to each panel.

was wondering about if these are needed from each panel or just a large one inline going to charge controller??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142423541204?var=441429237217

you can get 15, 20 or 30 amp size fuses.

Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.
9 REPLIES 9

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old_Man wrote:
Are you talking about the inverter you use with a generator? .
no
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old_Man
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
A fuse can also protect the panel.. I'd use a big fuse near the battery. (It would also protect the house converter or inverter) but smaller ones on each panel or panel series.
Are you talking about the inverter you use with a generator? I don't think you use those with solar systems. Slap me if I'm wrong.

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
these fuse connectors on ebay are like 4.50 each with fuse.. guess for such low cost mayaswell get them..

Never know when a nuclear war or when some little rocket man idiot might decide to test things and lob one towards hawaii. at least my panels will be protected.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have properly sized fuses all over my solar system. None have blown. Comforting.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A fuse can also protect the panel.. I'd use a big fuse near the battery. (It would also protect the house converter or inverter) but smaller ones on each panel or panel series.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I too question the actual need for a "fuse" for most if not all RV solar panel installations. Generally the purpose of a fuse is to protect wiring from over current, and if correctly sized wire is being used to prevent excessive voltage loss about the only way enough light to generate a wire over current could ever land on an RV size solar installation would be if a nuclear bomb were to go off above it, in which case you would have bigger issues.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Only needed if one less than the panels in parallel exceeds the panel fuse rating.

Say you have four panels in parallel each with an Isc of 7 amps and a fuse rating of 15 amps. If a panel fails or shorts the other three produce 21 amps and exceeds the fuse rating of 15 so each of the four panels should have 15 amp fuse.

Not needed for series, just parallel connected.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many of us don't bother, with the idea being we're not sure they're even needed.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
download the midnite solar kid manual. They do a good job of outlining NEC requirements for circuit protection. about 1/2 way through the manual is specific information. a lot depends on series vs. parallel. near the end are wiring diagrams for various panel configurations ranging from single panels to mulitple panels in series or parallel.

http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/kid_manual_rev_1856.pdf
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!