cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet connection not working -- CAT5e

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
My RV is 300 feet from my S&B home. About 5 years ago I ran (in a pvc conduit) a underground gel filled CAT5e cable from the S&B to the RV. I got good service at the RV with about the same speed as at the S&B.

I have now returned from 6 weeks on the road. I no longer have internet service at the RV. I do not know if there was any type of storm damage or other thing that could have "knock out" the cable while I was on the road.

I have tested the cable and I get a "pass" with one of these tester.

CAT5 Tester

Even with a "good pass" cable I can not connect to the internet. Is there some other type of tester that I can use to find out what is wrong?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
24 REPLIES 24

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
When plugged in, do you get a link light (little LED where the cable plugs in) at both the PC and "router" ends?

Assuming you do, and it's a Windows PC, open a command shell (cli), and enter "ipconfig". In the output, you want to look for the IPv4 address of your Ethernet adapter. If the address starts with 169.254... then it's not talking to the "router." You should expect it to start with 192.168...

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
In conduit? Run a new length of cat6. That tester just tests continuity, not quality.
-- Chris Bryant

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Crimp a new RJ45 connector on each end.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
rk911 wrote:
also try rebooting the router in the house.

I have rebooted. I get internet when a short patch ethernet CAT5 cable is plugged into the same port on the the router at the house that the long cable uses. Thus I know the router port is working.

then it's either a problem with the pc at the trailer or a bad cable.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
rk911 wrote:

I have rebooted. I get internet when a short patch ethernet CAT5 cable is plugged into the same port on the the router at the house that the long cable uses. Thus I know the router port is working.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
MarkTwain wrote:
Contact your Internet provider and explain the situation? solution?Since AT&T did not run the 300 foot cable, they do not want to help.

Can you get internet wirelessly?

300 feet is too far for wireless

Could your CAT5e have a break in the wiring? If there is a break the cable would not test good

Try connecting a new CAT5e from RV to House above ground to test your older CAT5e cable. That is my last choice since 300 feet of CAT5 will cost almost $50.00

Travel Photos

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
rk911 wrote:
do you have internet st the house?

Yes, I still have internet at the house

Travel Photos

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Contact your Internet provider and explain the situation? solution? Can you get internet wirelessly? Could your CAT5e have a break in the wiring? Try connecting a new CAT5e from RV to House above ground to test your older CAT5e cable.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
do you have internet st the house?
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK