cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LCD TV in MH.

lesjones
Explorer
Explorer
I just contacted Visio about installing one of their TV's in my Damon Challenger. They recommend that the TV only be transported upright and that it should not be bounced around.

I want to transport the TV without having is mounted to a wall.

Has anyone installed an LCD TV in a MH and if so what problems (if any) did you encounter as far as transporting.
12 REPLIES 12

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Huh? I've used mine many many times outside in near freezing temps. Never an issue.

rk911 wrote:

re: freezing...just make sure that the environment in which the set is stored is brought back up to a comfy temp before turning on the set.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
lesjones wrote:
Has anyone installed an LCD TV in a MH and if so what problems (if any) did you encounter as far as transporting.
Almost everyone, none, and they don't freeze either.

re: freezing...just make sure that the environment in which the set is stored is brought back up to a comfy temp before turning on the set.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
lesjones wrote:
Almost everyone, none, and they don't freeze either.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

I wouldn't worry about it too much. IMO, Vizio is just trying to protect their end, in a manner of speaking, for warranty sake. LCD/LED are fairly sturdy, as many on these forums can attest having personally field tested them so to say. :W

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Had a Vizio 32 LCD in our previous MH for several years and no problems.

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
The new LED LCD TV's should in theory be even mechanically more shock resistant. More important to have power surge protection as the new electronics are more easily damaged.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
lesjones wrote:
I just contacted Visio about installing one of their TV's in my Damon Challenger. They recommend that the TV only be transported upright and that it should not be bounced around.

I want to transport the TV without having is mounted to a wall.

we replaced two analog TVs with LCD models 4 or 5 years ago. both were custom mounted in the same spots where the old analog sets were but with different mounting brackets and trim to give them the "built-in" look. they've both been subjected to a lot of bouncing around since then (aren't US highways a hoot?!) with no ill effects. and all of the new MH's have at least 1 and sometimes as many as 4 TV's...all LED (which ARE LCD sets with LED back lighting instead of fluorescent). unless the new crop of sets aren't built as well, which I doubt, I would worry not.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Plasma TVs were far more sensitive to being bounced around than are LCD models; some people have never adjusted their thinking.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
I have transported my larger Visio laying flat on the bed for over 3 years now with no ill effects. My smaller one is transported mounted on a swing out arm and is supported by the bottom of a cabinet while moving. My 5th rides smooth but it is still exposed to bumps and vibrations. It is over 3 years old and still going strong.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
In our previous tt, our Vizio tv was stored in its box under the bed (they ship it that way - they must think it safe). The same tv is now mounted to our wall. Over 2.5 years, no problem so far and we often take the tt down bumpy dirt and gravel roads.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
The previous owner mounted a 19" LCD to the dash where the old tube TV was. Works fine. I also carry another LCD TV stored under the bed lying face down on the carpet. I use it outside from time to time. Also works fine.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

revump
Explorer
Explorer
We have two Visio TVs in our MH for three years. We are full-timers and we have had no troubles.
Bob