cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new hd antenna

MR_HUSBAND
Explorer
Explorer
want to upgrade old winegard antenna with hd antenna on my 05 heartland landmark. considering the king digital hdtv 0A8200.
anyone with experience with the antenna & installation or any other suggestions on replacements
78 REPLIES 78

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Tom_M wrote:
MNtundraRet wrote:
Tom_M wrote:
The big question is how well the VHF reception compares with the Batwing?

If you are talking about channels 2 through 6 which were in the bands auctioned off that is still an "unknown" for my comparisons.

I have not run into any stations in Minnesota or Iowa still transmitting in that RF channel range.
WOI in Des Moines, IA broadcasts on RF channel 5. There are only 39 full power stations in the U.S. broadcasting on the low VHF band (ch 2-6) and 426 on the high VHF band (ch 7-13). The total number of stations in the U.S. is about 1800. Here's a link to a spreadsheet listing all the full power stations in the U.S. as of July 2012: http://www.rabbitears.info/ss/DTV-Channels.xls

I did get that WOI (channel 5.1) while in Kalona, IA (around 100 miles)along with the other major channels in the Des Moines area. However; I work under more ideal conditions with 20 decibels of gain and RG6u (quad-shielded cable) except for the 2 feet above roof.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
MNtundraRet wrote:
Tom_M wrote:

If you are talking about channels 2 through 6 which were in the bands auctioned off that is still an "unknown" for my comparisons.

I have not run into any stations in Minnesota or Iowa still transmitting in that RF channel range.
WOI in Des Moines, IA broadcasts on RF channel 5. There are only 39 full power stations in the U.S. broadcasting on the low VHF band (ch 2-6) and 426 on the high VHF band (ch 7-13). The total number of stations in the U.S. is about 1800. Here's a link to a spreadsheet listing all the full power stations in the U.S. as of July 2012: http://www.rabbitears.info/ss/DTV-Channels.xls
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The VHF-low channels are still out there. In Las Vegas NBC channel 3 is broadcast on VHF channel 3. It was impossible for the Winegard Rayzar Air to hold the signal while parked at the Circus Circus KOA (now closed).
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
The Jack is definitely shorter for sure. They designed for their currently technology: The Batwing has been around since Dinosaurs, and the Jack came out several years into the analog shutdown when most were heading to UHF. Its going to be very interesting to see who bites at the bait and vacates to VHF AND takes a multi-million $$ buyout vs. those taking WAY more cash and shutting down operations altogether.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
From the inside views we have seen of the Jack, Winegard Sensor, and the Razor Air, the largest elements required for low VHF signals look very similar for total length in the Winegard antennas.

I would expect at least similar range from both.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
MNtundraRet wrote:
Tom_M wrote:

U will.... Theres another auction comin' and they are making the VHF band (that nobody wants) really attractive.
Jeff - WA6EQU

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Tom_M wrote:

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
MNtundraRet wrote:
It 's a new toy. :B

I am still figuring out how to use it to it 's best ability. :C

Right now it 's the best RV antenna on the market.
:W

YEP
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
It 's a new toy. :B

I am still figuring out how to use it to it 's best ability. :C

I did figure it out after missing the Open. :M

I thought I finally had you hooked. It,'s only 50 bucks man!

So far in about a dozen locations it has done better than the Winegard III with Wingman. I have no plans to quit using it.

Right now it 's the best RV antenna on the market.
:W

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
MNtundraRet wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
Should I tell you how good it was ? ๐Ÿ™‚

Ok Jeff. "Where's the beef? "

It only takes 5 minutes per the manual to install. It took me 5 minutes to get everything up on the roof.

Since we haven't heard from you the plan is to test this weekend. :W
oops.... was I supposed to do something??

I was bangin' on you for missing the Open.
Jeff - WA6EQU

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
charlesmyatt wrote:
I am visiting this site to see what issues folks have with "Jack" antennae reception. It seems during our last trip, either the antennae itself or the powered portion failed while trying to get any local station. The park had Time Warner cable that was scrambled and was attached by coax when I turned on the Jack. All I could receive was the cable telling me to get a descrambler and was unable to get the blue LEDs to function at all.
Now I'm considering going back to Winegard that we had on our old trailer.

Your problem is not the Jack antenna.

The cable service should be separate from the coaxial cables used for cable.

Make sure that the cable for campground cable is disconnected, and your switchbox is set for "Antenna ". The fact that you got the message shows you had interference from cable company while trying to use OTA reception.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have any problems with your Jack you can call 952-345-8151 or chris.waples@kingconnect.com
Chris Waples
Service Manager
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

charlesmyatt
Explorer
Explorer
I am visiting this site to see what issues folks have with "Jack" antennae reception. It seems during our last trip, either the antennae itself or the powered portion failed while trying to get any local station. The park had Time Warner cable that was scrambled and was attached by coax when I turned on the Jack. All I could receive was the cable telling me to get a descrambler and was unable to get the blue LEDs to function at all.
Now I'm considering going back to Winegard that we had on our old trailer.