cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Qi Induction Phone Chargers

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a Samsung Qi Induction charger for my wife's Samsung phone. I thought this would be great for her because she has severe arthritis in her hands and plugging charger cords into her phone is always challenging.

The induction charging works well but I read in the instructions, that the induction pad should be unplugged when not in use. This virtually defeats the purpose of buying the pad if she still needs to connect and disconnect the plug.

I know I can probably rig up a switch to turn the power off and on. This is, maybe the only solution although I consider this a cumbersome solution and difficult to relocate from place to place.

First question: Is there something, like a metal coaster that you could lay on the disk to protect it or would that have the opposite effect?

Second question: How much will leaving the coil plugged in shorten the life or cause a fire hazard?

Any other solution would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
We also never unplug ours. I think they mention that as it saves a small amount of electricity when unplugged.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
well, I have 3 in the house that have been plugged in for over 3 years continously, and they still work fine. I wouldn't worry about it. My guess is that they say unplug to you don't have to worry about putting other metal objects on it and having them heat up.

downtheroad wrote:
Ours was unplugged once....when we moved it to a different location and has not been unplugged since...2 years+ ago.

Thanks. That's all I need to know. I still worry, slightly, about overheating. She has a small ceramic top table so I think we'll be fine.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ours was unplugged once....when we moved it to a different location and has not been unplugged since...2 years+ ago.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
well, I have 3 in the house that have been plugged in for over 3 years continously, and they still work fine. I wouldn't worry about it. My guess is that they say unplug to you don't have to worry about putting other metal objects on it and having them heat up.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Have to unplug? How ridiculous!
Normally you don't ever want to put an inductor next to a solid piece of metal (or even parallel with another inductor)