cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upside down photos on iPhone

Sky_Deck
Explorer
Explorer
The photos I post look fine on my computer, but some display upside down when viewed on my iPhone. Any idea why or how to prevent this?
11 REPLIES 11

Sky_Deck
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Photo Bucket from the iPhone or the pc?

you can either import all pictures to pc for correction before uploading and upload from pc
Or you remember to hold the iPhone in the correct upright horizontal position when taking pictures

Photo Bucket from pc, sent from iPhone via email. I guess I'll just have to hold the camera the right way.

MrWizard
just a test
can you transfer the iphone pix to the PC using wifi, cable, iTunes ?

instead of email, then check/correct the rotation before posting to photo bucket

are you reading the emails on the PC or on the iPhone ?
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
Photo Bucket from the iPhone or the pc?
It seems the iPhone is reading the embedded position picture tags and displaying the photo properly right side up no matter which way you held it when taking the picture
but when from photo bucket the pc does not read the iPhone position tags and is displaying the picture as it was taken
Camera mode upside down
Exactly like it would if you used a normal digital camera upside down

you can either import all pictures to pc for correction before uploading and upload from pc
Or you remember to hold the iPhone in the correct upright horizontal position when taking pictures

Because I take pictures both portrait and landscape , but not upside down
I import pictures to the pc and check/correct rotation, before I upload them to photo bucket

Vertical/portrait pix are always displayed sideways when imported by me, I rotate and save then upload to web
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Sky_Deck
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
Looks like them phones aren't too " smart".

You'd think that since Apple is so obsessed with controlling the entire "experience," this would not happen.

MrWizard wrote:
Photos from where ?
Do you mean web photos on the iPhone
Or did you take the photos with your camera, then sync to your iPhone

I took the photos with the iPhone, not paying attention to whether the phone was upside down. Then I email them to myself and open them up. Somehow, the very smart phone knows which way is supposed to be up, because when I use the Apple Preview program to view the photos, they look just right. Then I import them into PhotoBucket, and they look great again. Then I put them into this forum, and some are upside down.

But now I'm not sure that was the problem, naturist. I took some today, making sure the camera was "right-side up" (round button on bottom or volume buttons on top). When I went to post them, they were all wonky. I had to take screen shots and upload those. What a pain. I'll figure it out eventually.

MrWizard
Photos from where ?
Do you mean web photos on the iPhone
Or did you take the photos with your camera, then sync to your iPhone
I would dare say for many people,
That they take pictures with the smart phone then find them rotated sideways 90ยฐ on the pc because they hold the camera vertical, portrait mode, instead of sideways landscape mode
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

What happens when you rotate the phone 180ยฐ? :B

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like them phones aren't too " smart".

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my Smart phone it worked the other way around (Android)

Turns out that some software will auto-correct for top/bottom of the photo and some will not. I used Thumbs Plus (From Cerious Software) to rotate 180 degrees and all was good on both phone and computer... Major pain in the operating system though having to do that.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sky_Deck
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Moderator. They look right side up in Preview, Photobucket and on RV Net when using a computer. But I'm sure you're right about the original reason. Will use the new shutter button!

Moved from Forum Technical Support

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
yup

You clearly are shooting with the camera rotated the wrong way. The camera expects you to turn one way, you are turning the other way. This is no big deal, really. You have two choices: either turn the camera the other direction when you shoot, or when you go to view the images in the viewer, choose edit and rotate them the way you want.

On the left side of the iPhone as you hold it vertically, there are two buttons that are normally used to turn the volume on the speaker up and down. Apple expected you to rotate the iPhone clockwise to shoot horizontal photos, and in fact, when you are using the camera app, the volume-up button turns into a shutter button, no need to poke the button on-screen, which always seemed to me to be a pain in the butt anyway.

BTW, THIS forum is for technical support using the web site. A better forum for your query, which after all is not about the web site, is the OTHER technology forum.