cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10 Quick Assist for quarantine support

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
A close friend was complaining to my wife via text that her computer was taking minutes to do virtually anything. She sent me an email asking if I would look at it when we finished our quarantine (we recently returned home from Florida). Since we still have a week to go I looked at remote support tools and hit on Quick Assist which comes with Windows 10.

It was nice because it is easy to use. She logged into her Microsoft account, started Quick Assist clicked Request Assistance and waited for me to provide her a session code. I logged in and clicked the Provide Assistance button and I received a code that I texted her. 30 seconds later she was granting me permission to access her computer and desktop and 10 minutes later I figured out the problem and fixed it.

Handy tool for supporting friends and family in these times of keeping one's distance.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36
11 REPLIES 11

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
wildtoad wrote:
Good to know if I ever go back to Microsoft based products. But why would I?
Because you're like me and hate Apple's proprietary "standards"?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I was being polite to a completely disingenuous reply. I was sharing an easy solution for users of Windows 10 to assist others, I have to wonder why he even bothered to post.

Dave

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
magicbus wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
I would imagine that Apple offers the same complete access so that someone from their Genius Bar (no doubt working from home now) can help you through your problems.
Pretty sure he was saying that Apples don't have problems.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
I would imagine that Apple offers the same complete access so that someone from their Genius Bar (no doubt working from home now) can help you through your problems.
Dave
Google Chrome runs on Windows, Apple & Linux platforms and its Chrome Remote Desktop provides this remote help function on any platform. It not only works fine for remote help to others but I use it to get to my home desktop PC (that I leave on 24/7) from wherever I am with my laptop.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
magicbus wrote:
wildtoad wrote:

Dave

They do.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Or right click on the Task Bar and select Task Manager. Task Manager showed that this particular issue was that her McAfee starter license had expired and she elected not to pay their price and it started consuming CPU and disk. Uninstalling it solved the problem.

Dave

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
From a CMD window enter PERFMON /RES

In the CPU tab, click on the column title Average CPU. That will tell you who is eating up the CPU resources. Look at the graph on the right hand side for CPU - Total. That should be well under 100% most of the time.

In the Memory tab, how much Free memory do you have ?

In the Disk tab, click on the column title Total (B/Sec). Does anything stick out ? Also look at the graph on the right hand side. You want the Queue Length to be less than 1.0

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:

Dave

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, Remote Assistance, as it used to be known, is an excellent tool to help someone with their issues. I've used it in the past quite a few times.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info.

Now my techie son don't have anymore excuse not to provide his mom tech support, err, dependence on every operations and strokes, to his mom's Mac, lol.