Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying first RV--- doing research

brilrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I want to first say thank you for any help you can give me. My wife and I live in Michigan. We have owned a boat and kept it in Fort Lauderdale for the last seven years. We have used the boat as our condo on the water. Well the boat has been sold. We have decided to buy an RV and spend our winters away from the cold in search of the perpetual summer. I work overseas and am gone for 1/2 of every month. I can go to work from any city. We intend to travel approximately 6500 miles per season. I already have a Silverado 2500 HD diesel. We are exploring the idea of a $65,000 used class A motorhome or a $45,000 new fifth wheel. We are not opposed to a used fifth wheel as well. I have some concerns over having to buy a separate vehicle to flat tow behind the motorhome. That is why we are looking at all ideas.

I guess the bottom line is? I am not sure what we should buy to best suit our needs. We enjoy being plugged in and not being in the middle of nowhere. Our goal is to chase the summer and get as much bang for our buck as possible.

Your opinions are wanted and needed.

Thank you,
Brian
11 REPLIES 11

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Brian,

While your plan is basically good, you have already read that you are right on the cusp....

If you are going to go someplace to stay, a towable is the answer.
If you are going to travel, you can't beat a motorhome.

Well, if you are thinking in terms of 6500 miles a year, the towable sort of wins, unless a lot of the places you plan to hang are not full hook up (FHU) places. It has been my experience that most towables (generalizations are typically in error) are not as capable at self-sufficiency as are the self-propelled.

It's all a compromise. But find a floor plan you like. If you buy new, be aware that it may be that only the selling dealer will do warranty work and almost certainly warranty work will be needed.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

brilrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mike. I am doing just that. There seems to be some decent deals right now. Our local dealer has a fifth wheel we are interested in at a substantial discount.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I like the road stability of a 5th wheel if you're going with a trailer. My Cedar Creek Silverback is 34 ft. in length so I think you should not go longer than that or you'll be looing at needing a larger tow vehicle. We spend 4 months in Florida in our camper as well as summer trips around Michigan including several music festivals.

When looking for a 5th wheel remember your power as a buyer. There is a large mark up on RVs so you should lowball when possible. When new my Silverback's manufacturer's sticker was about $68K. Got it for about $48. Nearing the end of the season dealers don't want to have too much inventory sitting over the winter here in Michigan.

Also, do some RV searching online. Don't be afraid to look in northern Indiana where most RVs are manufactured. Also, Florida has some large dealers that are willing to dicker on prices. Check out Lazy Days RV down in Seffner, FL. Look for new 2017s for a deal because the 2018s are going onto dealer's lots now.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend a used mid-size fifth wheel. You can only truly know your preferences after spending time with one.

I would look at one about 4 years old. You can get a nice price because someone else has taken the big depreciation hit. After a year or two, you can still get a nice trade-in for it, and you will have a better idea of what features you would like in your next one, or if you would rather go for a class A.
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Since you already have a truck why not rent a trailer a few times first so you can have a better idea of what works best for your needs?
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

brilrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. The information is invaluable.

Brian

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're in Michigan, you need to start hitting some of the RV lots before they close everything up for the winter, not necessarily to buy, but to look at all of the various makes and models. Start looking at the floor plans to see what you like.

What length do you want, a gas or diesel, how many slides, size of shower, size of bed, etc, etc, etc.

This is the best time of year to buy from a dealer or private party because they don't want to store them all winter.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your 1500 will probably tow about 50% of the 5er's out there. You'd have to do your research.

If you buy a motorhome, you probably are going overboard by towing the 1500 behind the MH. So you'd probably ditch the 1500 for something a lot smaller. Be aware, not all cars can be flat towed. A lot of people like MH plus a toad, but to me, then you have two vehicle drive trains to maintain, insure, etc.

Buying used and using it for a few years will help you decide down the road what you want and what you can do without; and buy new then.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Your 2500 would likely handle most 5er's, you will need to research specifics to be certain.
If you are outconus half the year, is your other half comfortable using the 2500 as a daily driver? If so, why get another vehicle?
I would think go get a 5er, Preferably used a year or two old, around the 30' size mark, but you may get a 35 in many cases. Try a year and then figure out what is the best fit for you. Then get a new rig to meet all your preferences.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.
If you're going to travel a lot, I think a motor home is the best choice. However, if you will be stationary most of the time a 5th wheel or travel trailer is probably a better choice.

Do not be in a hurry to buy a RV.
Take your time. Look at everything available. Decide which floor plan and type of RV is best for your situation.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, lots of questions, on the forum. Someone will have the answer.

Enjoy your search.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Budget is totslly doable. What is your maintenqnce/upkeep budget? A MH can be costly, way more costly than a trailer. Depending on the MH you could possibly flat tow your truck. Again, depending on size of fiver you may not have enough truck. So first, you need to go look, decide then what would best fit your goals. Then start looking at a floorplan that fits your wants. Then worry about matching the vehicle.