cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is Trailer Life a Recommended Read?

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone here subscribe to Trailer Life magazine? I was just wondering if it's a worthwhile subscription. I've been a long time (40 years) reader of Popular Mechanics and learned quite a bit about home and auto maintenance there. While it's not the magazine it used to be, PM is still not bad. Is TL similar, but more focused on RV issues?
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk
31 REPLIES 31

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer Life is not much different from many other "hobby" magazines I have gotten at one time or another. They all need advertising to exist, and none of them can afford to "offend" advertisers (product or campground) very much. Sure, they sometimes mention something in a negative light (Problem Resolution, for one), or are circumspect in their review. But no one should expect high levels of investigative journalism. What I do use it for is to keep track of the current "state of the art" - what new products are out there, what things may be useful to me, and through their repair/upgrade articles whether a project is in my skill set, or would be beyond me. The destination articles are dependant on what you find interesting - I've been to many of the big name places, so kind of gloss over those - but am interested in the smaller, not so known, possibilities.
As for accuracy - at least there is a bit of editorial review/oversight, so hopefully when they tell me about something technical, I can have a little bit more trust in it than what I may get from "some guy" in a forum on the internet!
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may continue to receive "Outside" magazine with no obligation on your part. If you receive a bill in a first class envelope return it unopened endorsed, "refused, did not order". Watch your credit card statements and act accordingly.

I just quickly flipped through my latest issue of "Trailer Life"
154 pages. every page has some advertising content on it.
There are 14 pages labeled special advertising section promoting a product there are 14 pages not labeled as advertising but dedicated to the promotion of a particular brand product or shop.
Good Sam club has 12 pages
49 pages are full sized ads.
Non editorial/advertising content make up the rest.
I do not have any idea how that compares with other publications.
I enjoy my Trailer Life as part of my GS membership,but would not subscribe to it otherwise.

NY_RVer
Explorer
Explorer
I look forward to my copy every month, but like others have stated, there really isn't much to read in them anymore.

Has anyone else been receiving Outside magazine in the mail? I started getting them about a month after I started receiving Trailer Life, but I never subscribed, nor do I want to. I tried calling a number I found online for them to make sure it stops because I am not going to pay for something I did not order. I was told it was a free subscription for a year, with the hope that I subscribe. I told them to cancel now, as I am not interested, and they said labels were printed already so I would receive one more. Well, they still have been coming, and I am getting a feeling that I will be billed in the end. Anyone have experience with this? I think they may some way be affiliated with Trailer Life being they always come together in the mail.
2016 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7 Cummins
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE
Reese Dual Cam

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
i enjoy the travel articles and everything else about trailer life and motorhome magazines. even the ads as i like to look at new rvs.

englercr
Explorer
Explorer
We are "prepping" for the time we will go FT. Found TL to be very informative in all aspects of RVing. In our opinion, worth the subscription.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
If you are (or wish to be) a Good Sam member, it costs nothing to subscribe... and worth every penny of that. ๐Ÿ˜‰ If you're not a member, it's not worth joining just to get the magazine IMO.

You get a few TL magazines when joining Good Sam. After that you must pay a separate subscription fee.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sport45 wrote:
Thanks for all the great feedback! I'll watch for a deal on a subscription and maybe try it if I can get a $7 deal. Right now it $18 for a year on the website.

Here you go! ๐Ÿ™‚ I have been getting my TL
subscription through that site for the past 8 years or so.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've had it for a number of years now and while entertaining, I'm not renewing when it expires in June.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
I have been getting rid of all magazine subscriptions. The Trailer Life magazine is okay but the hard copy magazine and newspaper industry is dieing.

Internet information is almost instantaneous but printed magazine material is 2 - 4 months old by the time it reaches your mail box.

Some subscriptions that I still have I read the digital issue.

IF not mistaken, believe you can also get Trailer Life on line...Seems I get something and was thinking it was Trailer Life in my e-mail with a link to see the entire magazine that is delivered to my house.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I have been getting rid of all magazine subscriptions. The Trailer Life magazine is okay but the hard copy magazine and newspaper industry is dieing.

Internet information is almost instantaneous but printed magazine material is 2 - 4 months old by the time it reaches your mail box.

Some subscriptions that I still have I read the digital issue.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great feedback! I'll watch for a deal on a subscription and maybe try it if I can get a $7 deal. Right now it $18 for a year on the website.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I have been a subscriber for many years and get enjoyment out of it. Some of the technical pieces are very well done and others not so much.
It will most often feature one review of a trailer and tow vehicle combination, tech articles about tires, engine improvements, GPS, etc. and usually at least one about a travel destination.

I don't find the advertising annoying, nor is it any more in abundance that any other magazine of the type. I actually learn quite a bit from the ads and will frequently go to a website suggested to learn more. ๐Ÿ™‚

So, in my opinion, YES, Trailer Life would be a recommended read.
Barney

Agree. A lot of advertisements, but you might see something you're interested in. Some good travel information..and they do show new products, from MH's, TT's, 5er's, etc...and things you can purchase for said RV's...

I've been camping for over 45 years and it seems like a nice bit of entertainment for RV'ers....for no more than it cost, if you have to pay at all, the wife and I like like it.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reading it for free is ok. Do not expect any journalism. Mainly fluff articles supporting an advertiser.
I am apparently one of the few that is happy with what I have,looking at new models and floor plans does not excite me.
If you recognize it for what it is,(another form of advertising)and accept that it is worth reading.
Matter of fact I just put my new issue into my work bag to peruse during lunch today!

Explorer
Explorer
I don't mind the advertising in this and Motorhome Life but they will have articles about where to visit and never talk about the campgrounds to stay in for that area or the RV/TT friendliness of the area - parking, roads, etc. Any travel magazine can tell you to go and visit X but I expect a trailer or motorhome mag to tell you how to visit X in a trailer or motorhome - both always fall short in this.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road