Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trail Hitch based kayak rack for Roadtrek

ZowieR
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
I have a 10 ft plastic kayak that I was hoping to take RVing with me but I don't want to tow a toy hauler. An RV dealer I was talking to said he once saw a pole with kayak mounts that would fit a trailer hitch so the kayak would be mounted upright against the pole.

Anyone every seen or heard of anything like this?
9 REPLIES 9

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
The other option is the Advanced Elements inflatable kayaks which have an aluminum frame. These are used with success even on fast moving rivers and the double is the same weight as a single hard shell kayak.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
we have 2 10ft kayaks and I put them in the camper...they just fit in the door
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

kenfield
Explorer
Explorer
I have a kayak rack for my hitch that I designed and had a welder friend build. For some reason I can't post the pics here, but if you email me at richvt86@gmail dot com I will send them to you.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an extend a hitch thingy I saw on our local craigslist.

CrusinSusan
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome.
Why? Because at my age, I have maybe 40 more chances to see flowers bloom.
CrusinSusan's Blog!!

ZowieR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks CrusinSusan to bad the other rack maker is out of business as it would have been perfect. I have followed up with the one that is in business.

CrusinSusan
Explorer
Explorer
They were probably talking about rvraxx.com, which appears to be out of business, but is shown here

But here's something close to what you're looking for
http://www.rvkayakrack.com/gallery.html
Why? Because at my age, I have maybe 40 more chances to see flowers bloom.
CrusinSusan's Blog!!

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
I think I've seen that as a custom mod on a motorhome. Personally, I use a Yakima Dry Dock in a front mounted hitch and a regular Yakima bar across the front of the cab. My kayak is 14'.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Have not seen any rack do that with a kayak. Ive seen snowboards and skis hung vertically. A goal post to mount it up high, or maybe up front if you have some way to mount crossbars over the cab. Anything is po$$ible. I have mounted thule bars on all of my vehicles owned over the past 25 years.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt