cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are composting toilets "good enough" ?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
That is are they good enough to be accepted by all members of the family ? Can they handle a family of 6 ?

I would imagine that TT manufacturers and owners would love to get rid of the black water tank. Even though composting toilets are beoming more popular on recreational boats, I don't hear much about them in TT.
11 REPLIES 11

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Watch the fine print on "composting".

Those toilets slow down and actually stop composting in colder weather. P**P in the woods in "cold" weather and re-visit the site in a month or two. You'll be able to see the spot easy as the P**P is still there!

My gardening compost pile went to sleep in the winter months as I'm sure others may have noticed that also if they compost in colder climates.
Ray

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
They are on a boat now and sold the RV.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes it is really hard to tell if the Wynns are serious or not. It certainly seems like they are being sarcastic, but who knows. I didn't see any rolly eye emojis, so who knows.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Well, you'll know the Wynns have been there before you when you see a bag of composting waste in the campground leaf and litter pile.
Some folks just promote "stupid".
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why do you want to try a squeeze a family of 6 into a TT in the first place? I have never seen a composting toilet in a trailer. Not sure if it would even fit.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
mgirardo wrote:

This definitely seems easier than just pulling a handle. :R

Thank you for that link, I had wondered about these. I was mortified by the suggestion that one could simply dump a bucket of human urine on the ground like it was graywater - I can only imagine the smell after that bakes in a hot sun for a few hours (gack!)

We don't have a bathroom in our pop-up TC, so I use a Luggable Loo with a WAG bag and some kitty litter. MUCH simpler to set up and dispose.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Does a bear $*!+ in the woods?
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
Give me a good, old-fashioned two-story outhouse anytime.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'd rather use an incinerating one if it wouldn't burn down the RV.
bumpy

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I would imagine that TT manufacturers and owners would love to get rid of the black water tank.

Heck no! I like being able to pull a handle and watch it go down the hose and into the sewer. I have no desire to have to deal with the "compost" created by a composting toilet. Composting toilets don't make the waste magically go away, you still have to get rid of the composted waste.

This definitely seems easier than just pulling a handle. :R

With a family of 6, you'll probably be dumping the liquid part of the tank on a daily basis, or more.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Have you priced one lately? They are significantly more than a plastic Thetford and a holding tank.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton