cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bay door lock will not open the bay

seatboard
Explorer
Explorer
On our 2006 revolution, one of the bay doors has locked it's self and I can not get it to open with the key. All the other doors are functional . I have used WD-40 and it does not solve the problem. Any Ideas? Thanks for any input.
Harold and Faye US Navy Retired
2006 Fleetwood Revolution 40LE
400 cat
15 REPLIES 15

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto to stupid moments...

Sometimes flipping the key to right side up is the trick....

Other times, I think stuff inside of the storage blocks the tab.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto to stupid moments...

Sometimes flipping the key to right side up is the trick....

Other times, I think stuff inside of the storage blocks the tab.

seatboard
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the input. I solved the problem. I forced the door open from the inside. Had to crawl in from the next Bay. The top slide bolt was some what cracked. I sorta finished cracking it. Now I have a Bay door with one locking slide bolt. I believe if I had cleaned it really good, it would not have malfunctioned.Live and learn
400 cat

seatboard
Explorer
Explorer
Dick A wrote:
Keep in mind the Allen screw could very well be metric.

Awww Man, I sure hope not, I'D hate to drive all the way to China just
for a metric Allen wrench. Good side is maybe I could get a few good egg rolls while there.
400 cat

rickhise
Explorer
Explorer
I have an intermittently occurring problem with mine it has to go stupid me for put in up with it
Will take the advice of others an replace it

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind the Allen screw could very well be metric.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

seatboard
Explorer
Explorer
I crawled in from the next Bay door. I removed the back from the lock. There are two cables attached to a piece of something which has two arms.These two cables One going to the top and the other to the Bottom. These cables work to unlock the two latches one at top and the other on the bottom (of the lock side)These cables are secured by a tiny Allen screw, sorta like a towel bar screw. Any hoo I believe the screws have loosened over the years and need to be tightened. Now, if I can find, at the nearest Hardware, an Allen wrench small enough to fit the screw.
400 cat

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Is it a Fastech (FIC)? Drill it out and replace it.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
wondering if you can take your flashlight and shine it on the back of the lock from the opposite side while someone turns it and observe? :h

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Those latch locks are usually nothing more than a cheap cam lock. If you can get to the back side, there is likely a nut holding the cam in place. You should be able to easily remove that nut and open the bay. The electric lock component is a big more complicated, but not much. Once you have the bay open you should be able to figure out the easiest repair. If you can't get to the back side, it is probably easiest to just drill the lock out. (though I would probably have a locksmith look at it first, they might be able to open it with some trick of the trade.)

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since the key is turning but the latch isn't, I rather doubt my pressure suggestion will do much good. I hope I'm wrong, of course.

If you can get in from the back, you may weell be able to unbolt the latch from the lock cylinder or, failing that, cut off the latch tongue with a rotary tool or something, assuming this is a quarter turn lock (and not some sort of a locking paddle latch or other more exotic design).

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pretty much sounds like you'll have to come in from the back side. My guess would be that the key barrel has come loose from the locking mechanism. May have to replace the whole thing, not much of a deal.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

seatboard
Explorer
Explorer
The key turns in the lock but it is still locked, I think. Gonna try Drew's suggestion and use a little pressure. May have to crawl into the bay and take a nap while there.
400 cat

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you mean the key/lock combination won't turn, or does the lock turn but still won't open?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"