cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of this scam while on the road

fotodog
Explorer
Explorer
I’m not a frequent poster, but I want to let everyone know what happened to us while traveling through Kingman, Arizona, although it could happen anywhere. My wife and I are both successful business people, live in a big city dealing with all sorts of individuals daily, and are not naive. And yet, we were almost scammed by a thief.

My wife and I were returning from my daughter’s wedding and stopped for fuel. After getting back on the freeway, we were flagged down by a guy in a pickup truck driving beside us, waving for us to pull over and pointing to the back of my motorhome. Since I had experienced some problems towing my Jeep on this trip, it seemed likely there was a possible problem.

Once pulled over, he told us that he had entered the freeway just behind us, and every time we went over a bump, there were sparks coming from under the coach. He presented a business card and showed me a business license showing that he was a licensed mobile RV tech. He suggested getting off the freeway at the next exit and follow him to a truck stop. At this point I was not comfortable driving across remote desert stretches in 100+ degree heat, so I decided to do that. Once stopped, he inspected the rear shocks and told me that the right rear shock was bad and needed to be replaced, along with the left side.

I thought he was only inspecting the shock, but he actually removed it entirely before I could object. According to him, to clearly see the part #. He made af few calls, and recommended that I replace all 4 shocks. They needed to come from California at a cost of $960 + $400 labor. Since it was Sunday, it would take 2 days for the parts to arrive from California.

I was cautious from the beginning, but at this point I was becoming suspicious. And then came the clincher; his “chip reader” was down, so we would need to go to the bank or Walmart to get cash for the down payment on the parts. I told him I wasn’t comfortable doing that, and all the while he kept telling me that he was an honest businessman. He told me he did work for people staying at the local KOA, and they could vouch for him. Since the possibility of a problem had been raised, I wasn’t going to continue across the desert until I had the coach inspected anyway, so I told him to go with us to the KOA and talk with the people there.

We did this, and the awesome woman behind the desk (thanks Dee!) told him they had 2 other people over the last few weeks with the same story. He insisted he was telling the truth, but when she suggested that we call the Highway Patrol to resolve the issue, he left. But not before telling me to be sure to call him in the morning to order the parts.

So now we were stuck in Kingman on Sunday, on our way home to San Francisco where I had a big backlog of work waiting for me. I started calling phone numbers from the legitimate business cards in the KOA, and by sheer luck Russell, at Russell RV Repair picked up. He heard my story, opened up his doors for us, inspected the shock which was perfectly good, and reinstalled it. Russell told us that 3 other people had the exact same story as ours over the last couple of months. He is a true gentleman, an honest businessman, and saved us a tremendous amount of grief. I paid him well, gave him a nice bottle of Sonoma Valley wine, and we were on our way,

So be careful out there! No matter how much you think something like this could never happen to you, it can happen very quickly.
Tim, my wife Li, and Snickers and Ziggy the Wonder Kitties

2008 Tiffen Allegro 30DA, Workhorse W22 Chassis, Allison 6 speed, Chevy 8.1L V8
2015 Jeep Cherokee with Blue Ox baseplate & ReadyBrake system

http://www.timandrews.com/ My photography web site
54 REPLIES 54

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
Please post a review of Russell Rv Repair on www.rvservicereviews.com
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
If the OP was able to keep the business card this "gentleman" handed him, I think it would be a real service to fellow travelers to post a picture of it here.

I, for one, applaud the sharing of such information to alert others to specific scams or locations.
2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
I was once approached by a guy who "needed money for a new fan belt for his car." There was an AutoZone in the shopping center, so I told him I would walk over with him and let him get the fan belt. I would charge the belt for him on my credit card. He just turned around and walked off.

Yea never give them cash. Offer to buy their lunch or 5 gal of gas but never cash
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I paid for like 4-5 hours labor to remove a frozen stud bold on an exhaust manifold. I could have done it in 20 minutes or less. and have on other vehicles.

NEW SCAM I just was alerted to

This was sent to members of a fraternal organization I belong to (I will not name)

It ask for donations to a go-Fund-Me for some young lady who had medical issues.

ONLY if you look at the sender's address.. NOT from the Organization. Even though it claims to be.

Many scammers have somehow gotten your contact list and send messages that APPEAR to be from someone or some outfit you know but are not.

I've even gotten E-mails that claimed to be from me. but did NOT carry my address. Just my name.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was once approached by a guy who "needed money for a new fan belt for his car." There was an AutoZone in the shopping center, so I told him I would walk over with him and let him get the fan belt. I would charge the belt for him on my credit card. He just turned around and walked off.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
fotodog wrote:
I’m the OP. I knew when I posted this message there would be some negative replies. It happens on every forum. I decided it was worth it if it helped someone avoid a similar scam.

And thank you! Ed and I fell for the lesser scam of a nicely-dressed, very polite older gentleman at the truck stop who "needed gas money to get to (whatever) after some unforeseen problem had cause him to spend his last cash on hand". When he immediately left after we handed him $20 (before the truck stop attendant could chase him off?) - we realized we'd been had 😞
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
First cup of coffee and enjoying this story. I would not let anyone get near my RV much less crawl underneath it. This took a few minutes to remove a shock and it’s had to fathom the OP didn’t think something was fishy.

Stopping and checking th RV is one thing for the OP but letting a stranger near me on the road is just not use these days.

But it is a good wake up story

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
:h That ole song about ocean front property in Amarillo comes to mind.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
fotodog wrote:
I’m the OP. I knew when I posted this message there would be some negative replies. It happens on every forum. I decided it was worth it if it helped someone avoid a similar scam.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Keithk3628 wrote:
The post sure makes you think, I have been flagged down on the road for different things before and so far all legitimate things like tire, steps etc. But to outright ignore these good people could have meant more damage.

I guess I will just continue to pull over but I think I will be more cautious because of this post, especially in the desert's of California which I don't get to too often.

Good post. Ignore other helpful drivers at your own peril, like this couple.

Over a millón dollars for a bad tire, crazy isn't it. I hope they have a sympathetic insurance company.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
You let the guy near your motorhome? You let him crawl under your motorhome? And he removed a shock? And you didn't stop him? Why didn't you just hand him your wallet? If it were me I would have pulled over, listened to him (with my .45 in my waistband) and sent him on his way. No way would I let any stranger mess with my RV. But then you're not me with 30 years of LEO experience.

30 years LEO experience not necessary to say thanks for the heads-up, then - adios IMMEDIATELY !!..:S

PT Barnam didn't actually say it - but there *IS* one born every minute.

BTW - you can (cautiously over dips & bumps) drive *any* vehicle with *NO* shocks if necessary!
Hundreds -if not thousands- of vehicles on the road with non-functional (due to age) OEM shocks, *LONG* overdue for replacement.

Easy solution (if you're incapable of checking your rig yourself), call your ERS (Emergency Road Service) provider...:h

Lastly if a Nigerian Prince calls you needing help cashing a check, suggest you pass on that one also...;)

~

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keithk3628 wrote:
The post sure makes you think, I have been flagged down on the road for different things before and so far all legitimate things like tire, steps etc. But to outright ignore these good people could have meant more damage.

I guess I will just continue to pull over but I think I will be more cautious because of this post, especially in the desert's of California which I don't get to too often.

Good post. Ignore other helpful drivers at your own peril, like this couple.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
free radical wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
Decades ago, my wife was driving to Chicago with some coworkers for a professional conference. I warned her about the possibility of someone coming up to her at a gas station and telling her that her fuel pump was failing and having a "cousin" with a shop who could fix it.

As they were leaving Chicago, she stopped for gas, and a guy came up and said he saw gas dripping from her engine, and she probably had a bad fuel pump. He said a buddy around the corner could fix it. She said "yeah, right."

She got back on the interstate, and about 15 minutes later, her car died. She had it towed to a dealer in the area. It was a bad fuel pump.

I think smart thing here would be to look and see if the pump was driping fuel or not..
😉

I was in Tennessee. My wife can't pour pee out of a boot if the instructions are printed on the bottom. But she is adorable. (Besides, she had been WARNED this would happen.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer