Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black stains

TheKunkels
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy all !!
We just got a 2001 Hornet Sport by Keystone 35 ft.
Beautiful shape but has those pesty black streaks we all know about.
I plan on power washing it. Will just power washing it take em off ? I been reading and came across an product that seems popular called L.A. Totally Awesome. Priced cheap and cleans everything.
Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks guys & gals.
Bless yas โ€ 
11 REPLIES 11

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
I like Awesome but it is damaging to gel coat and fiberglass, even diluted. Wal Mart sells black streak cleaner in the rv section or go to an rv place. I agree with others, don't power wash, too strong

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I have found the Magic Eraser to be great for lots of things, but not black streaks. So far I've had very good luck with Simple Green and a carwash bristle brush.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
... Mr. Clean Eraser .... It is abrasive and will leave scratches.

That's why you only "wipe" with it, and not "scrub". I have found Mr. Clean Eraser works on every kind of surface. But you are correct it will remove the finish IF YOU SCRUB. There's something in the chemicals in that sponge that just melts dirt off. I use it on my vehicles (paint, wheels, even the rubber tires), all over my camper (inside and out),and all over my house.

It's fantastic on the camper awning. I finally found a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the mop handle. I used it the first time last week on my awning. I'd been using a ladder and the hand held ones for years. The mop handle version.... oh ... so nice. Like I said, wipe ... do not scrub. I found the mop version on my awning was great. I sprayed the awning with a hose first to make it wet. I made the sponge wet, and simply wiped. The first wipe softened everything. The second wipe removed it. With the hand held ones, I'd wipe with the sponge, and then remove the black and crud with a dry towel. Same with the side of my camper.

Remember ... wipe it ... don't scrub.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Power washing for black streaks? If you want your new to you TT looking its finest, then spend some time and give it a nice wax job. Wash with automotive car wash, then use Mequiars Cleaner wax. This will remove black streaks and help prevent future streking.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also use totally awesome. The Mr. Clean Eraser states it should not be used on painted surfaces. It is abrasive and will leave scratches.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Totally Awesome (from Dollar General) works really good for me.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Awesome is great at removing black streaks and bugs on the front of the MH. I use it to clean everything in the MH, sinks, shower, gets grease of table etc. If you dilute it enough it cleans mirrors and glass.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Try the gentle approach first at removing those streaks. Get a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and try it first with no scrubbing, just wipe with one nice and wet.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with wing....no power wash! I use simple green. Spray it on, wait about 30 seconds then use a very soft bristle brush. They come right off. Afterwards, give it a wax job, they will be easier to clean off in the future.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
If I was you I wouldn't power wash a 15 year old trailer. You're likely to blow water into places you don't want water in. I wouldn't power wash any trailer, but that's just me.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Search "black streaks" here and you'll see lots of talk about them pesky things.

I use Bleche White tire cleaner. But you have to be VERY careful. Its strong. Wet down the area to be cleaned, spray on the Bleche White, immediately begin washing with a sponge or car wash brush, and rinse.

It works so well, it may make the other parts of the camper look dirty.