Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Changing from 14" to 15" wheels and tires on a TT

8ate8
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

We have a 2003 25' Fleetwood Prowler with 15" wheels and tires. I bought new Goodyear Endurance tires for it about 2 years ago.

A few months ago, we upgraded to a 2014 33' Coachmen Freedom Express, and the wheels that are on it are 14".

I'd like to swap the wheels and tires from the Prowler, to the Coachmen.

The Prowler 15" Goodyear Endurance tires are ST205/75R15.
The Coachmen 14" tires are ST205/75R14.

I understand the new trailer will sit 1/2" higher due to the taller tires, but assuming the bolt pattern is the same, and the wheels clear the brakes, are there any negative to running a larger wheel size?

Here's the load sticker of the Prowler:

and of the Coachmen:
9 REPLIES 9

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would check clearance between tires. If they are really close they will heat each other up, and hot tires are not happy tires.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Your trailer brakes will be a little less effective. Might have to readjust your controller.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You can get about 9000lbs total tire capacity out of a set of LR D 14s. So capacity is not the issue since youโ€™d never have more than 7k on the axles (without being overloaded).

Just an option.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your biggest issue is going to be how much room you have between the tandem axles now and how much that will decrease when you go up in a larger size tire..

I had little 13" wheels and tires on my old 2003 Prowler Lynx.. I wanted to upsize to 14", but found that there would be no room between the tires and suspension travel.

The 13" OEM tires were LR "B" tires... I simply upgraded to LR "D" tires in the same size and problem solved.

See if you can get some LR "D" tires in your current 14" size. That'll likely be better than the "C" and give you that little extra LR.. The bolt pattern of the wheels are all basically the same from 12" to 15" wheels which is 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

8ate8
Explorer
Explorer
Tire load stickers have been added to the first post.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
So who gets stuck with a Prowler with undersize tires?

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You can verify that the bolt pattern is the same by measuring between any two lug studs/holes on any wheel. Make the same measurement on one wheel from each trailer. They should all be a 5x4.5 pattern, which is common for small to medium sized travel trailers.

All said and done you've got nothing to lose by trying it yourself except some effort and time.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Do it as long as you have clearance between the tire and the underside of the trailer.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope.