cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coating peeling off seats

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
Among other issues, my 6 year old Sprinter has a serious problem with the 'leather' coated seating areas. Basically, it has been peeling and cracking off for a few years now, and it's at the point where you can't even sit on anything without a sheet or towel or something, because when you get up a whole bunch of flecks and bits of the coating stick to you. This applies to the couch, booth-area cushions, and the fold out couch/bed in the back room under the fold-down bunk bed. The layer below the fake-leather is mostly exposed now, and the fuzzy insulation beneath is starting to ball up and shed as well. Is this an isolated situation, or has Keystone addressed or fixed it in any way?
12 REPLIES 12

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Office chairs labeled leather do the same thing after about a year. Great chair, so I recovered it with quality material. Going on fifth year now no issues.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That's called bonded leather and it's real. But it's strips of garbage leather bonded together and they end up coming apart. The sun hastens its demise but even without UV, it still goes bad.
Ours is 5 years old and just started failing - even though we were religious about keeping them out of the sun. We ordered new, made to order chairs from Lazy Boy and they were about the same price (on sale) as RV junk. They are American made too.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, as already said, very common issue on a lot of RVs. They use cheap, fake leather that starts flaking apart after a couple years. And, it always seems to start happening right after warranty is up, so manufacturer probably isn't going to be much help.

We had this happen on our 2012 Forest River Georgetown we used to own, not 2 years after we bought it (new). Ended up taking it to a local upholstery shop and had both captain chairs and the sofa re-upholstered with good quality leather. Was fine after that, new upholstery was still in great shape after several more years of use and when we traded that rig back in 2021.

So far (knock on wood), this hasn't been an issue on our Newmar after 2 years of quite a bit of use. Newmar seems to use good quality furniture made from better material.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

paul_jensen
Explorer
Explorer
Best of luck!

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I don't remember where I read it but this was supposedly a particular manufacturer issue, and has been corrected within the last couple years. Yeah, I know.... LOL
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Face it, even mid-line and RV's are built out of the cheapest quality components the American buyer will continue to accept. Remove all the upholstered pieces, take them to a reputable local upholstery shop, and they'll fix you right up.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry for your problem but it isn't due to entry level Rv's I have a friend that brought a Newmar RV in 2015 @ a cost of $430,000 & just after the warranty time was over his fake leather seat did the same as yours..
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well known issue. It happens to everything from entry level up to mid level DPโ€™s. Itโ€™s called โ€œbonded leatherโ€ and fails earlier or later. Our 2012 is just starting now, but itโ€™s been know to happen to 2 year old units. Best thing to do is have them recovered at a quality shop that will use good material.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
That has been a common complaint with the cheap fake leather in lots of RVs. Replace is likely best option. Knowing there is an issue, with that material, would be my reason for passing on an RV that has it.

Jerry

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
midnightsadie wrote:
my sprinter is a 2007 made by LTV not a sign of rot.

Based on previous posts OP has a 2017 Keystone Sprinter 33bh which is a TT not a Mercedes based Sprinter.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
my sprinter is a 2007 made by LTV not a sign of rot.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
What you're experiencing is the result of Cheap China fake leather seating that's in most RV's. Thomas Payne is well known for peeling pleather seating. Most RV furniture that's in mid priced RV's is not meant to last for years like the furniture you buy in a nicer furniture store.
Best thing to do is throw it in the garbage and buy something of quality.