cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

College age kids and working remote Floor plan

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've got 1 kid in college, and one is a senior in high school, and we are thinking about a new camper. Currently we have a bunk house TT that my son is longer than the bunks so he sleeps on the tri-fold, and my daughter still stays in the bunkhouse.

We've been looking at a couples type 5th wheel thinking of when the kids are off to college, but are wondering how much they will go with us. What's been everyones experience with that.

We are working from home, and are thinking of traveling around a bit while we are working. The 5er we like only has the master, and a tri fold, so no where for both kids.
There is a floorplan that is the same as what we like, but it has a mid bunk, which has a desk, so this would be ideal, it would sleep everyone, and have a good work location. The problem is that gets it to 42', and would really limit some campsites.

I've got to buy a new truck for either, so I'm gonna buy one that will pull the big one, but just can't decide which way to go.

Any thoughts out there?
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up
12 REPLIES 12

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought tents for the kids and told them they are welcome to join us at the campground, but they will be tenting

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
From what ive seen out camping in the dirt as the kids reach that age they prefer to do their own thing. Bring out tents or sleep in the truck. Only using their parents rig for the restroom and shower. Might be a little different because of all the open space dirt camping. My advice would be to focus on what works better for the parents, because the likelihood of the kids staying with you in their mid 20s becomes less and less. If they do decide to stay with you sleeping arrangements are not all that important. Air mattress on the floor works just fine for the few nights a year they might come out camping. 

tommyznr
Explorer
Explorer
We were in the same position two years ago minus the work from home situation. Our kids 18, 22 and 24 at the time still camped with us 90% of trips. We went for the โ€œcouplesโ€ 5th wheel as you say, or as we put it a โ€œmom and dad camperโ€. Grand Design Reflection 295RL with a master bedroom and rear living area with a pull-out couch and two recliners, under 33 feet so we fit most anywhere we want.

Our approach was that we wanted a camper that would suit us in 10 years, not one for the kids now. It was a great decision. When the kids come with us they figure out how to make it work or pitch a tent. Already at 20, 24 and 26, two of them are on their own and have their own tents anyway so they pitch a tent on our site or get a tent site nearby. The third one has a tent on order which will be delivered today.

We just planned three trips for the summer and all three are planning to join us at some point during each trip. As a bonus we get great pleasure in hearing about their own camping adventures without us.
Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

dedmiston
agesilaus wrote:
Under no circumstances would we allow an opposite sex friend. But that would depend on you off course.

My college girlfriend (now my wife) asked me if I was ready to meet her folks. Seemed fine to me.

As the getaway weekend got closer, I asked her what kind of clothes to pack: would we be going out to dinner, etc.?

She laughed and told me, "No. We aren't going home to see them. We're meeting them out in the desert to camp. And by the way, you can ride a motorcycle, can't you?"

I slept on the floor of their moho and learned that my girlfriend was a bada$$ on a dirt bike. My theory that "if she can, I can" was so wrong. She humbled me, and I rode in the rear with the moms and the kids. Years later, she told me that the real test was how I dealt with it when I wiped out on the hillclimb and ran into a joshua tree. If I'd thrown a tantrum, that would have been it. But I stood up and laughed, spent a few minutes trying to start the bike on a steep slope, and took a few more tries to finally get up the hill.

I'm just glad her parents allowed an opposite sex college kid in their RV back then.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
TexasShadow wrote:
grown kids are difficult to predict, so IMO, you should please yourself first and then work out some plan to accommodate the "kids" if either or both decide they want to make a trip with you.
You could get an easy set-up style tent and use that for an extra bedroom.
Or choose a campground with sleeping cabins.

Ditto on the tent idea. Tho the kids will not like it. Alternative is air mattress for the floor. Our experience is they they will mostly want to be with their friend unless a trip interests them. Then they will want to go and may want to drag a friend along. Until they get bored then they will make life Heck until you turn around.

Under no circumstances would we allow an opposite sex friend. But that would depend on you off course.

So far we've only taken my son's girlfriend, and she got a bunk, and he stayed in a hammock outside ๐Ÿ™‚ He had to be a gengleman and let her have a bunk and A/C.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
We have two nice recliners where a person can sleep. Great for when my sinuses are acting up. Have had five grandkids in the trailer once. The two girls got the recliners and the boys on the floor. Heck, I used to sleep on the floor with a sheet or blanket under me, along with my five younger siblings and or four cousins when I was growing up and we visited them. Or at home when they visited us.

But past college age granddaughter brought her boyfriend about 18 months ago, and a tent, and a dog and a kitten.

The only time we got into the opposite sex deal, but they solved it.

(My father mentioned it to me once the first time I brought my wife to visit / meet my family, we were not yet married. I was almost 50. Something about he guessed it is too late to say something.)
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

dedmiston
Grit Dog beat me to it.

We're lucky that the toy hauler was already our RV of choice because of years of off-road riding. Even when we're not off-roading though, the toy hauler is the perfect setup for our family with three kids. We've only had all three kids + boyfriends/girlfriends camp with us a few times, but it's still pretty workable. We have two queens in the garage and a fold-out queen in the living room.

It's more comfortable when it's just my wife and I, but even just with one of the kids and their +1, it's fine.

The garage also makes a great office (better when none of the kids are along).

We're heading out to camp tonight, and then I'll work all day from my "office" in the garage. It's plenty comfortable and I can get as much peace & quiet out there as I need. I can shut the door if the dogs or bugging me, or just kick them out and make them chase kangaroo rats in the desert.

Anyway, the toy hauler has been incredibly practical for our family, even if we don't have the toys along with us.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Iโ€™d be thinking toyhauler. Generally plenty of out of the way extra bed space.
Extra โ€œworkโ€ space. I couldnโ€™t imagine doing my job at a camper kitchen table.
And if long term camping, Iโ€™d want to have some toys with. Either off road or something to get around in other than the ole dooley.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
We look ahead and wonder the same... I'd pick something that gives me the sleeping arrangements we want, and adds at least a full bed somewhere. Maybe a murphy bed, or a toy hauler with couches that can be used as a separate bedroom. This way you always have space for a 'guest' or two.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
TexasShadow wrote:
grown kids are difficult to predict, so IMO, you should please yourself first and then work out some plan to accommodate the "kids" if either or both decide they want to make a trip with you.

Ditto on the tent idea. Tho the kids will not like it. Alternative is air mattress for the floor. Our experience is they they will mostly want to be with their friend unless a trip interests them. Then they will want to go and may want to drag a friend along. Until they get bored then they will make life Heck until you turn around.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
My son, who is 23 and working and living on his own, still goes camping with us on most trips (bringing along with his girlfriend also).

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.