cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting Andersen Levelers.

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
My FW has a narrow wheel base, i need to cut my Andersen Levelers to make them operate as they should.

Those of you that have had to cut theirs, how much did you cut off, what did you use for the job?

I see where they say you can cut 4" off, however in doing so it looks to create around an inch and a half edge, are you filing this flat?

Lastly, after cutting, are you finding that when you use your levelers, that it overcorrects, as in, once you cut 4" off, you lose the ability to correct minimal changes in levelness?
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE
7 REPLIES 7

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I cut an inch or two off with a sawsall and didn't bother prettying it up. I've been using it that way for a few years and it's been great.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
my issue is, if i put a full size leveler at my front wheel, if i drive over it, it presses directly into the rear wheel. if i attempt to use a full size leveler for the rear wheel it won't even fit between the wheels to get it started.

this past weekend, i put a leveler at my front tire, and was going to just back off of it, however since the rear of my tire was chocked, on the opposite side, the camper was essentially stuck.

i was finally able to pull forward just enough to free it, but by chance you pull to far forward, you get the leveler wedged under the front tire, and pressing very deeply into the rear. trust me i know from experience. it's not a pretty site, and you could essentially just be stuck.
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our Surveyor I had to cut one of the levelers between the first and second holes and filed it down to a beveled edge. That is the one that went between the tires. Now with our new trailer the wheels have a wider stance but the short one still goes between the tires.
John 😛
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
About 2 or 3 inches, don't remember but definitely less than the 4". I noticed no problems leveling. 🙂
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I cut mine a little each trip until it worked. Only have to cut one, as the other is not between wheels. I didn't go to the first hole. Didn't need to go that far.

I used a 12" miter saw to do the job. Worked like a charm. I also chamfered the edges that might contact the tire so that there was nothing sharp.

Works very well and didn't notice any change in small adjustments. Think about it, the height on one wheel is cut in half. So, the one I cut has a minimum adjustment of about 3/4" and you cut that in half. If I need small adjustments, I just use one leveler and I use the one that isn't cut.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
I see where they say you can cut 4" off, however in doing so it looks to create around an inch and a half edge, are you filing this flat?

Lastly, after cutting, are you finding that when you use your levelers, that it overcorrects, as in, once you cut 4" off, you lose the ability to correct minimal changes in levelness?
That is why I did not purchase them when I knew I would have had to cut them for use with my TT.

They are not well suited for use with all trailers.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
up to first hole
no
didn't notice

i quit using them after I broke 3
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman