cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dawn vs Laundry Detergent

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Latest Dawn/dish detergent post got DW to thinking (I know, that's a bad thing but I couldn't stop her): Would laundry detergent be better for holding tanks? It's made to cut grease and just about everything else if you can believe the ads; it's low- to no-suds; and volume-wise it's quite a bit cheaper than dish detergent.
18 REPLIES 18

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Two gallons of water and a cup of Tide laundry soap.
Every time after I do that last dump before the drive home.
No clogs, no smell.
Cheap insurance.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
I do not know why people want to clean holding tanks. A few gallons of water left in the tank and a few miles down the road with the water sloshing around and the tank is clean.

Well, because I have repeatedly succeeded in cleaning level gauge sensors with water AND a small amount of liquid laundry detergent sloshing around while rolling down the road. Water just didn't do the job as well.

Not really sure why you ask why people would want clean tanks, then provide a method for doing so? I had a coworker who got a good deal on a private sale used Travel trailer. The original owner apparently didn't see the need for cleaning the tanks. For some reason the black tank had several inches of hard crusty solids, and the clean out was pretty unpleasant. Given that a half full drywall bucket of water and a shot of clothes soap can leave the tanks looking spotless, if done regularly after dumping, I'm not sure what the issue is.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
+1

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I do not know why people want to clean holding tanks. A few gallons of water left in the tank and a few miles down the road with the water sloshing around and the tank is clean.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos