cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodge Ram 2500 VS Chevy 2500 Gaser Short beds

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
We need a new TV soon and have been using a 2500 series Suburban with an 8.1l. Its a beast of a truck. We bought two Jeeps and have lifetime warranties on them and the Ram trucks have that option as well. Wife likes the Dodge I like the Chevy and would like to do diesel but we only tow 30+/- days out of 365, so its not cost effective. Has anyone had any experience towing with either truck. Keep in mind we would be getting the short bed 4x4. The long beds are like trying to park a bus and wifey would not be happy about that. Presently we are pulling a Sunnybrook Sunset Creek with a max weight of 10,000. I think we are around 8500 as presently configured. Any issues with either truck?
Thanks!
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker
24 REPLIES 24

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Great Info All! And thank you! I'll see what develops on the lots as the new models are coming so maybe there will be a great deal on a leftover .
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
autorot8 wrote:
You might have a hard time finding a 6.4L with the 4.10s. Not sure you would need the 4.10s. I tow about the same weight as you with a 4x4 short bed 6.4L with 3.73s. I also live on the west coast at 4000', and have no problems with the 3.73. Pulling mountain passes I can maintain 55-60 mph in 3rd at 3000 rpm.

I'm in the same boat. mine has the 3.73 also and i have no problem at all. I do think the 4.10's would be better from everything i have read. I also believe they would produce better fuel economy ironically. My truck lugs around when in MDS mode and not towing. I think the 4.10's would even it out better.

They are hard to find with 4.10's though.
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

autorot8
Explorer
Explorer
You might have a hard time finding a 6.4L with the 4.10s. Not sure you would need the 4.10s. I tow about the same weight as you with a 4x4 short bed 6.4L with 3.73s. I also live on the west coast at 4000', and have no problems with the 3.73. Pulling mountain passes I can maintain 55-60 mph in 3rd at 3000 rpm.
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 6.4l Hemi

"Overstating the Obvious rarely helps the Oblivious!"

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
The later models are all so close in performance just get the one YOU like. Sit in them, take them for a spin and just get the one that you feel good in.

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Crabby, see if you can find posts about the newer Ram with the 6.4 He went from a diesel to this unit and hasn't had any complaints. Ib516 is the poster on this.
Good Luck.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Crabbypatty wrote:
It seems that votes are for Ram with a 6.4 and 4.10 gears. Not unless I can find a left over CTD at a gasser price. Then the DW wouldnt have a choice. ! 😉

You won't go wrong with either. Test drive both back to back if possible (and with comparable options) to decide. Trying to drive the same route as well!!!

Good luck!!! And keep us posted how it all turns out!!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that votes are for Ram with a 6.4 and 4.10 gears. Not unless I can find a left over CTD at a gasser price. Then the DW wouldnt have a choice. ! 😉

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
GM definitely uses torque managment!!! Lol

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I'm mostly a Chevy guy. I have a 2015 with 6.0 at wprk anf it's a great truck. I test drove a 6.4 Ram and then a Chevy back to back. The Ram felt more powerfull, it had more snap or punch. Maybe GM uses more torque management.

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy is going to be the better quality truck hands down. Nothing FCA makes is worth buying, IMHO.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let me tell you, the coil suspension in the back of the newer Ram's is AWESOME! I'm amazed at how smooth the ride is in the 3/4 ton truck. The 2016's are about to hit the lots, you should be able to find a 2014 for a decent price. I was able to stumble into a used 2015 diesel... couldn't turn it down! It was about the same price as a new gas...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Just out of curiosity, being a Ford guy and no dog in the hunt, I checked the motor and transmission specs mentioned. The old 8.1L 4 sp would pull the new 6.0L 6 speed off the line every time and with less RPM's. Since my next truck will not have my beloved 6.8L V-10 I will look at Ram's 6.4L vs. Ford's 6.2L.

Just going by specs doesn't always tell the whole story though. The current 6.0 that is down on power by a fair amount compared to the 6.2 or 6.4 should not do nearly as well as it does in the real world if one went by the paper specs only. Yes, the 6.0 does have a drinking issue, but the combo of the trans gears keeps it playing even though it is probably overdue for an update (per the paper specs).

Yes, the 6.0 does need to rev to make the power, but most of the modern motors need to do so as well. Just the way the gas motors are now designed. No more reaching full tq output at only 2200rpms.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Just out of curiosity, being a Ford guy and no dog in the hunt, I checked the motor and transmission specs mentioned. The old 8.1L 4 sp would pull the new 6.0L 6 speed off the line every time and with less RPM's. Since my next truck will not have my beloved 6.8L V-10 I will look at Ram's 6.4L vs. Ford's 6.2L.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

blt2ski
The last couple of years 6.0 gassers have given past years 8.1 more than ample run for the money. Especially since that have as many HP, torque and MORE gears to work with keeping it in the powerband better. I seem to recall a test against the almight dmax, and at the end of the hill climb, the 6.0 was catching up due to initial startup not being as quick. I would consider one with 4.10's and the new 6 sp over the 8.1 or dmax frankly. For how and where I drive, 4.33's would be better if an option. I'm pretty much a 62 mph or slower driver, so the DOD with 3.73's and even 4.10s could be a useless gear to work with.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer