cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

firearm question

hummingbirds
Explorer
Explorer
Will begin traveling this summer, finally retired, and healthy!!
This is a GENERAL question.....
I prefer to travel weapon free, but feel it wise to ask the experienced rv'ers and campers......have you ever had a situation when traveling that caused you to need or potentially need your weapon to protect yourself?? Some yes or no, might help us with this decision.
53 REPLIES 53

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
hummingbirds wrote:
Will begin traveling this summer, finally retired, and healthy!!
This is a GENERAL question.....
I prefer to travel weapon free, but feel it wise to ask the experienced rv'ers and campers......have you ever had a situation when traveling that caused you to need or potentially need your weapon to protect yourself?? Some yes or no, might help us with this decision.

Not while camping or on the road with an RV.....yet! However, in 66 years of life, have saved 2 persons from likely death (outnumbered 4 armed on 2 unarmed), and have had, though not used several times.....it was very comforting! Also, camping and living in bear (grizzly) and mountain lion country.....again comforting while on a hike or out and about.

โ€œYouโ€ have to determine your comfort level and proficiency with a firearm! This is a very personal decision.... the use of a firearm to defend yourself or another person, potentially taking the life of another human being. Taking a life, even if 100% justified....is a very tough thing to live with! Also, if you hesitate when the firearmโ€™s use is completely justified, you may arm the assailant, thereby putting you at greater risk. If you do not or cannot develope the proper mindset....
your probably better off โ€œnotโ€ having a firearm. Ownership and use requires much soul searching!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Once in 20+ years. I was in a remote campground where a dog had been killed by a mountain lion. I carried a handgun on hikes with my dog for the duration of my stay. Fortunately I was in a location where that was legal.
Larry

If you have your LTC, and would feel better carrying, go ahead.... I have never felt that I was in danger, but want to be pre paired if that ever happens.

Urban jungle, or not, things could happen anywhere at any point, and some see RV'ers as poor old defenseless travelers, easy for the pickens....

I can only hope the situation never presents itself.....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

steelhunter
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Camping for over 40 years. Carried a 12 gauge shotgun for a few years. Took it out before it got stolen. Never once had the need for a weapon. I bet if you asked some of the died in the wool gunheads they will tell you they are disappointed to say they never pulled theirs out either but they're still waiting for a chance to use it.
B.O.

Perhaps you'd like to reconsider your comment and delete or modify.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
I always carry whenever possible. While traveling twice with our rigs it came close to being considered, but wasn't required. One the dog fixed it, and the second we left before anything became an issue.

This is one thing you're trained in. Trying to avoid using it at all cost and there are other ways to protect yourself including leaving. The gun is ...the last resort.

To those that say carrying a gun doesn't make you safer probably never owned one or can. One thing that's a fact while carrying, I go out of my way to avoid any confrontation with people. While driving or otherwise.

It doesn't make most of us carrying feel invincible, trouble seekers or likely to instigate trouble. It makes me safer as a person, it makes you think more, and it's not a false sense of security. It's never something I hope to use or expect. But will if necessary.

Yes it's being aware of your surroundings at all times. But sometime you might find yourself in a situation you weren't expecting.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, carrying a firearm in unfamiliar situations greatly increases the risk of a tragedy. Rural people will find the urban jungle to seemingly have life threatening situations around every corner. The city dweller might very well feel the need to open fire on noises in the woods (remember the owl and Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny?). If you are fundamentally uncomfortable in any setting, adding a firearm increases the risks, it doesn't lessen them.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camping for over 40 years. Carried a 12 gauge shotgun for a few years. Took it out before it got stolen. Never once had the need for a weapon. I bet if you asked some of the died in the wool gunheads they will tell you they are disappointed to say they never pulled theirs out either but they're still waiting for a chance to use it.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have never been in any situation, camping or at home or traveling or doing my daily activities, where I needed a gun or any other weapon to protect myself or those I was with. I do not know anyone who has ever needed a gun in a situation, however I know many who believe they need a gun because of a situation that happened even though it was handled successfully without a gun.

I agree with those who state if you are not prepared and trained to use the gun, then don't have it. And if you are properly trained in using a gun, then you should also know that it is not a security blanket - it is a weapon. Having a gun doesn't make you safer, and thinking that way will find you in a situation that you could have easily avoided.

Situational awareness, the willingness to leave rather than escalate a problem, and understanding the repercussions of your decisions before you need to make them, will do more for your safety than simply "having a gun".

I also don't believe a gun is like insurance or seat belts or fire extinguishers, etc. These things are to recuperate, prevent injury, etc., from an event. A gun is to stop another PERSON from doing something. Having insurance or a fire extinguisher, or using a seat belt, will not destroy another person's life. Using a gun will. You need to be willing to take that responsibilty if you are going to carry a gun.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
What size Rock do you suggest carrying?

A big one. :B

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
We enjoy dispersed camping mostly. We may be miles away from anyone, but anyone might happen by our camp too. So I usually have a weapon in the trailer. I have never needed it, but I certainly have slept better at times knowing it was at hand.

Having said that, if I don't think we are going off the beaten path, I do not take one along. It is just a bother and a responsibility that I don't mind leaving behind in certain situations.

I choose not to live in fear, and sometimes that means being armed, and sometimes that means not being armed.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
When I was an engineer at the Big South Fork Scenic Railway, I used to boondock at the shops. We were near the Norfolk Southern mainline where the line went from double to single track. Trains would sometimes back up at the signal and we'd oftentimes have some rather unsavory characters hop off of the trains. One night the alarm started going off on the locomotive shop and I was out there by myself. I was glad to have some protection but glad that I didn't have to use it. But I always kept it nearby just in case.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I was RVing I got shot in 2 places.

I should have stayed out of those 2 places.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, have not experienced a reason why I would need to pull my weapon.

Having said that, I still carry. Why, because there is always that chance, however slight. I am trained, and fully capable. It's not just a matter of fighting back over losing stuff.

I don't make my decisions based on internet poll or how many people respond to no on this thread. I sincerely hope, and believe, my answer will be no when I am done, and come off the road. But, until then, I will continue to be prepared.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can carry a long gun for hunting purposes but never a handgun and I like it that way. If an intruder knows I may be armed he is is going to come prepared for that which could make a bad situation much worse. As has been mentioned, there is no need to fight back over 'stuff', let insurance cover it.
I have only been uncomfortable once, the rv in the adjoining site had S&W and NRA decals plastered on it. I was more worried about a guy with a .38 and a short fuse than potential thieves.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, but only because it's near impossible to get a permit to carry in Canada. We gave up those rights when we didn't let you folks win the War of 1812, and make us the next group of US states. ๐Ÿ˜‰

If I had the option to carry, I would in most cases, as I'm trained to handle long and short firearms. Just can't use them in every day experience. I could carry long guns, but unloaded, so they'd only be useful as clubs.

As a side note: If any of you have plans to come to Canada to hunt anytime soon, make sure you check in advance if the firearms you plan on bringing with you are still legal/allowed. That may all change when the Liberal's Bill C-71 passes and is made the new law.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)