cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

firearm question

hummingbirds
Explorer
Explorer
Will begin traveling this summer, finally retired, and healthy!!
This is a GENERAL question.....
I prefer to travel weapon free, but feel it wise to ask the experienced rv'ers and campers......have you ever had a situation when traveling that caused you to need or potentially need your weapon to protect yourself?? Some yes or no, might help us with this decision.
53 REPLIES 53

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Do you own a friearm and are proficient with that firearm at present?
NO........then carry a rock
YES....then you know that the only reason to pull a firearm is to shoot/kill someone otherwise carry a rock.

I have owned firearms since I was 10 yrs old and am now 66 yrs old
I am quite proficient in the use of firearms ---pistols/rifles/shotguns and had a Carry Permit when required.

YET......I have NEVER had the NEED to pull and use any firearm in civilian life.

What size Rock do you suggest carrying? :S

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
New in RVing but I carry an ACP pistol.

I might not need it but don't want to regret not having one when I need it.

I've been to several campgrounds and the only one I've encountered is a group of rowdy, burly and obviously drunk bikers simultaneously revving up their motors. I promptly reported it to the ranger and I was assured that they are in full watch over them.

I looked at her and the fellow ranger and I told myself that unless they'll be calling in heavy reinforcements, they'll be outfought in case something go south.

We just asked to be moved to a farther campsite as were actually being sandwiched in between their two groups.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always carry a handgun but abiding by the various state laws so sometimes it's not loaded but most times it is.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
as others here have said, you may never need. but just once, it is worth it.
why have auto insurance? do you want to use it?
in my 3 decades of driving a big rig only once i wish i had a gun on me.(company says fired if you have anything like a weapon with you) and that was in fresno, ca. and yes i have been in some "shady" places.

but the only time you may ever need to shoot something would be at a pit viper.

it comes down to you, are you ready to take everything away from somebody?
(that crook is).

if not then carry a none deadly device, and pray for the best.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
You never need one until you do, then its to late.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
hummingbirds wrote:
....have you ever had a situation when traveling that caused you to need or potentially need your weapon to protect yourself?? ...

No, never. And I hope it stays that way!!!

If I ever have to do so, it means I have failed to avoid the situation in the first place. This is not an experience to seek out or wish for. And if it happens, then the compelling event is just the beginning. Interaction with law enforcement, criminal courts, and civil courts could end up being just as damaging.

See, that is the thing... Carrying a firearm puts me in a different frame of mind. I have an obligation to avoid confrontation, and I have a requirement to walk away instead of allow something to escalate to that level. Failing to do so makes me legally liable should deadly force be needed.

With that in mind, I encourage you to think that every "no" answer you get on this thread is really a positive answer. I don't think trying to count yes/no answers will determine a probability and help you make this personal decision - especially in something like an Internet forum. If you want to know about times people have employed a firearm to successfully defend themselves, reach out to resources like the NRA. They will often have stories which received little/no coverage in the main stream press.

Good luck with your decision.
-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
found a few rattlers that met their makers while out mushroom hunting

MrWizard
its better to have it, and not need it

than need it , and not have it

but.. if you have never used a firearm, and are not comfortable around them
this may not be the thing for you to do
if you can not commit to pulling trigger if necessary, don't carry a firearm
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
YES, every time I go to bed and want to go to sleep,..I gotta have my Glock under my pillow. I'm a light sleeper, just about any noise wakes me up. And, I don't care what you call me,...my next birthday I will be 80 years old.

"...or potentially need your weapon to protect yourself?...."
I believe that danger can potentially be in one of many locations which I reach via my motorhome.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I also have insurance, tools, fixaflat, tire plugs, extra oil/sealants, eternabond and a hatchet near the door. When I was running a propane fridge I kept my clothes, shoes, wallet and keys ready in case we had to bail out quickly.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Never.

YES....then you know that the only reason to pull a firearm is to shoot/kill someone otherwise carry a rock.

X2. If you are not ready, willing and able to carry said firearm please leave it home. If you are not PROFICIENT to the highest degree with said firearm please leave it home. Make sure you have a lawyer on retainer because if you use said firearm in self-defense and/or are not permitted properly you are going to jail first and questions will be asked later. If you cannot meet the above requirements and still wish to carry please be prepared to accept the consequences. "Better twelve as my jurors than six as my pall bears" only goes so far if you injure/kill an innocent bystander.

FYI I am a life member of the NRA, am a certified firearms instructor in five areas and a certified small bore jr. rifle coach. I am not telling you what to do, I am merely requesting you take ownership and responsibility for your actions and their potential consequences.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
The 1001 times when a firearms wasn't need will mean absolute nothing the ONE time it is need. If you're legal to have it where you are traveling bring it.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

I have owned firearms since I was 10 yrs old and am now 66 yrs old
I am quite proficient in the use of firearms ---pistols/rifles/shotguns and had a Carry Permit when required.

YET......I have NEVER had the NEED to pull and use any firearm in civilian life.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
In 40 years of near daily carrying, I have shown my firearm only a handful of times and only drawn it once. None while camping. So statistically I could say no. But if another need arose, and I didn't have it, that "statistic" kinda goes out the window.
Your best deterrent is situational awareness, for the times that fails you being OBVIOUSLY armed will usually avoid a need for it to leave a holster, when that point is passed,,, Having it, and knowing how to use it is a much better option than counting on the good will of the person confronting you.

It's a personal choice, make the one that suits you, and under normal circumstances, it's nobody elses business.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have never needed one or felt like I was in a position where I might need one. But I do have a CHL and I do take a firearm when traveling.