cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford 6.2L - Thoughts

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thinking about upgrading the truck. Looking for something in the 7-10yr old range.

With the Ford, that crosses from the V10 to the newer 6.2L V8.

I guess I hadn't been paying attention. Wow, 385HP and 400ft-lb...that would make the biggest diesels from the late 90's look anemic. That jumps up form the current truck that has something like 305HP and I haven't wanted for more power.

So any concerns I should be aware of? If the cost difference is minor, would you bump up to a slightly newer truck to get the 6.2L?

Setting aside the political/environmental hot potato, for non-towing use, I'm liking that it's E85 compatible, since I started watching and E85 is around 30% lower price, so even if I lose 10-15% on the MPG, I still come out ahead on the miles per dollar (calculated a 27% increase in miles per dollar at current local prices assuming a 10% loss in MPG). I can always switch back to the standard E10 stuff if I'm going to do some heavy mountain towing or I know I want the extra range between fill ups.

Weight ratings aren't an issue, so I don't "need" diesel. Whichever one I find in better shape at better price I will go with.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV
28 REPLIES 28

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
They're great engines and a great truck/combo based on the 2 I've had.
V 10 and 5 speed was a great combo too. 6.2/6 speed is a bit better. Plus you get a newer interior and features in the same old familiar Super duty platform.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
jkwilson wrote:

Donโ€™t forget the 27% HP drop. Thatโ€™s the bigger deal with that truck.

I understand that some are getting more horsepower with E85, but I have no hard evidence. What you are missing is that way more fuel is injected, off-setting any power loss. The amount of power loss or gain would be determined by how the engine was factory "tuned."

No way to get more horespower out of E85 than E10. Physical impossibility unless the engine has been tuned to dump E10 straight into the exhaust to reduce fuel economy.

But at maximum power, the engine will produce 27% less HP on E85 than on E10 because there simply isn't as much energy in E85.

This statement is very wrong. The BTU content of fuel has NOTHING to do with the power you can get from it. In fact, the power you get from a fuel is almost always inversely proportional to the BTU's it has.

Here is some good reading about E85.

OP the 6.2 is a great engine with a great reputation. No worries with this engine.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Did you know that many race cars use alcohol?

Depends which kind of race car ! NASCAR cars use E15, but it is special racing fuel and it is over 100 octane.

Indy cars use methanol. Very different animal. It makes a lot of power but requires a lot of fuel.

Do you really want to tow using E85? Many ask does it help to run premium.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Did you know that many race cars use alcohol?

Depends which kind of race car ! NASCAR cars use E15, but it is special racing fuel and it is over 100 octane.

Indy cars use methanol. Very different animal. It makes a lot of power but requires a lot of fuel.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
PLEASE folks, learn how to edit your post when quoting somebody so we don't have quote after quote after quote after quote and I have to spend my valuable time editing because some are either to lazy to make the effort or to stubborn to lean how to edit their own posts.

I am going to quit editing them and just delete them instead. That is FAR easier and quicker.:R
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

Again, MORE fuel is injected, thus the power is still maintained. Did you know that many race cars use alcohol? Because ethanol is an oxygenated fuel, it can run at a richer mixture.

Also, e85 has a higher knock threshold, so you can run more ignition advance.

If the timing is normally reduced to allow running regular e10 87 with the high compression ratio's in todays engines, you can gain power running e85 because you are able to run the ignition timing the engine actually needs to reach it's full potential.

Just because e85 has 30% less energy per unit (or whatever the percentage is), doesn't mean you lose 30% power. As said above they just have to inject more fuel, hence the fuel mileage loss. Wether you gain power all depends on how the factory tuned it for e85 vs e10.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:

No way to get more horespower out of E85 than E10. Physical impossibility unless the engine has been tuned to dump E10 straight into the exhaust to reduce fuel economy.

But at maximum power, the engine will produce 27% less HP on E85 than on E10 because there simply isn't as much energy in E85.

Again, MORE fuel is injected, thus the power is still maintained. Did you know that many race cars use alcohol? Because ethanol is an oxygenated fuel, it can run at a richer mixture.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The 6.8L V10 comes in 2 different varieties. The older one are 2 valve and the newer ones are 3 valve (except on the Econline/E-Series chassis which kept the 2 valve). Big difference in horsepower/torque numbers.

The following were the biggest issues.
Wikipedia wrote:

2-valve 4.6 L, 5.4 L, and 6.8 L engines found in many 1997-2008 Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles may have aluminum cylinder heads with threads for spark plugs that are stripped, missing, or otherwise insufficiently bored out.
3-valve 5.4 L and 6.8 L engines built before 10/9/07 and 3-valve 4.6 Ls built before 11/30/07 found in many 2004โ€“2008 Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles have an issue with difficult-to-remove spark plugs, which can cause part of the spark plug to become seized in the cylinder head.

The second issue is easily resolved by using an impact wrench on the spark plugs while they are hot.

The 6.2L does not make as much torque as the older V10 but it works well with the current 6 speed transmission and get better fuel economy.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
jkwilson wrote:

I understand that some are getting more horsepower with E85, but I have no hard evidence. What you are missing is that way more fuel is injected, off-setting any power loss. The amount of power loss or gain would be determined by how the engine was factory "tuned."

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
A driver can try to fudge the issue via driving method but it really comes down to an issue of price. If you can't cover a 30% decrease in power with a 30% lower price it doesn't make sense to use E85. The $1.95 to $2.95 difference in price in my area covers the 30% and then some so it makes economic sense even with the decrease in power.

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughters 2017 F250 6.2 has been a great tow vehicle. Absolulity 0 problems with the truck. Not to beat a dead horse on the E85 but this is from Fords manual
"Switching Between E85 and Gasoline
We do not recommend repeatedly alternating between E85 and gasoline. If you switch from using E85 to gasoline, or from gasoline to E85, add as much fuel as possible, at least half a tank. Drive your vehicle immediately for a minimum of 5 mi (8 km) to allow it to adapt to the change in ethanol concentration. If you use E85 exclusively, we recommend that you fill the fuel tank with regular unleaded gasoline at each scheduled oil change."

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
we bought a 2017 6.2 last fall. 8k miles on it now, about 4k of that towing our 7500lb TT i have been 100 percent happy mpg sucks around 8 to 8.5 but that is expected. about 17mpg not towing off interstate.

would love the 4.30 rear end but they were not easy to find new on lot or used. mainly special order. 3.73 does great with our TT weight and don't plan on towing anything heavier.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
All of the 2011+ HD truck brands are reliable and powerful within their tow ratings. The 6-spd transmissions really help as well. I highly recommend the 4.xx axle ratio vs. 3.73.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)