cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Head on

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Almost involved in a head on collision today. Car passing the line of cars I was in, all travelling just slightly above the speed limit. Passing car just kept coming even with oncoming traffic approaching. I judged that he would hit right next to me.

Decided to hit my brakes and swerve to the shoulder. Opposing driver did the same. Passing car continued on as if nothing happened. Finally pulling in front of the lead vehicle.

Started a discussion with my wife and thought I would invite your feedback. Now we were speaking with a small sample size but do you believe headons are a direct factor of drivers' unwillingness to slow down? If I had not braked and swerved there would have been an accident. The cars in line behind... continued on right by me without as much as a pause!

Outside of dui and medical emergencies why else would headons happen?
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"
23 REPLIES 23

Falcon35
Explorer
Explorer
I will never forget as a 19 year old laying on stretcher in hospital a ER. Drifting in and out of consciousness with a feeling that there were bright car lights coming at me. One time when I kind of came to I relised there was police officer looking down at me I asked who caused it? He said I don't see how it could have you as your car was totaly off on the right sholder and you were hit head on. I then decided I wanted to live even though my father had let me use is brand new car.It turner out the other driver was drunk. I hope that anyone here ever drinks and drives.
2012 Georgetown 378TS 2008 Honda Fit
ReadyBrake Surge Brake System integrated with ReadyBruteโ„ข Elite RV Tow Bar

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It happens everywhere but the worst place I've seen so far is in Ca. on uphill sections of a highway with a passing lane. It's often a young driver in a small car. One of them nearly got squished last year when they passed us in a construction zone and came very close to rear-ending one of the construction trucks.

Seems like no matter how fast you go if you have an RV, they MUST pass you. Part of driving or towing an RV is always being vigilant and driving defensively no matter how right you are. I hate it when they tailgate you and you can't see them behind and then bam, they suddenly try and pass you out of nowhere.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
tsetsaf wrote:

Police have many terms for this, Depending on the department.. DWHUA (driving with head up..... (I'll leave the "A" to you)

LOL!!!:B

Years ago had a neighbor with a personalized plate with that "DWHUA" on it. He was a LEO in the next city!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
tsetsaf wrote:

Police have many terms for this, Depending on the department.. DWHUA (driving with head up..... (I'll leave the "A" to you)

When I was working we had recorders on all lines so I could not use that phrase.. I sued "Driving with head up exhaust pipe" (Means the same thing don't you know).. I will explain how well that worked.

Rectal Cranial Insertion (Dearborn is a high class town).

My theory: Now the RV life style is not about rushing helter skelter to and fro. It is about stopping to smell the Lilacs (Much nicer than Roses) But some folks are in the Devil's own hurry to get where they are going.

And going head to head with 26,000 pounds of motor home using only 3,000 pounds of car.. Well that's one sure way to get there.

Me. I'm not in any hury.

Oh how did it work? Caller is describing the idiot in front of him... He's up tight, Very upset, and thus becoming a danger himself.. I said "So what you are saying is he's driving with head up exhaust pipe" Caller pauses a second to digest that.. Busts out laughing (no longer upset and uptight) and now a better driver as a result and says "It does mean the same thing dosen't it" I, of course, agreed... Oh we caught the idiot. and yes he was intoxicated.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I assume everyone on the road is a homicidal maniac and drive accordingly. Even so I have had some calls to close for comfort. Our side road enters a very busy two lane highway near the crest of a hill, traffic coming south is not visible until the last minute. I turn left when I get a break and come up to highway speed as quickly as possible to avoid impeding traffic but there is often some moron that climbs up on my bumper then just has to pass before slowing down to the speed limit. The other day a southbound car was passing on the double solid line as I pulled out, that gave me some anxious moments.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
seaeagle2 wrote:
A lot of younger people grew up playing video games. When those have a head on crash they typically bounce off each other and keep going with no consequences. If you've been driving video games for 20 years and real cars for 5 you probably feel like it will be like the video game....

Except it's not the 23 year old's causing all the crashes. People of all ages are causing crashes. People of all ages are expecting others to move out of the way. I've had more older folks ride my tail than younger folks.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
mich800 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Head ons (and other crashes) happen when the last person who can prevent it doesn't take action to prevent it.

Since it is extremely difficult to know beforehand who the "last person who can prevent it" is going to be, then we should always act as though we are the last person who can prevent it and hope that is so.

That is not true. I have been behind in such a situation. It can happen very quickly. I don't care how quick your reaction time and attention is. When it happens the victim in many cases has no time to avoid a collision.

If your reaction won't prevent the crash, then you weren't the last person able to prevent the crash.

The point is that in a situation like the OP's, he was able to prevent the crash by reacting. If he hadn't reacted, the crash would have happened.

It's not a blame thing, it's simply making sure that YOU do everything possible to stay alive. If that means pulling off so an idiot can speed by then do it - don't hold your "you're being an idiot so I won't let you get away with it" ground or you're likely to be dead.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
JFNM wrote:
Nothing more than my observation but it seems nearly everyone on the road is out to kill you. I don't know why it is but I have my suspicions. I drive, ride my bicycle, and walk with that idea in mind.

I ride my motorcycle almost all year long. My 17 yo son wants to start riding so I have been beating these exact words into his head daily!! Everyone on the road is TRYING to kill you when you are on 2 wheels!!!!

I was rising home from work a couple of days ago and had a guy change lanes in front of me 3 times! When I finally got next to him trying to go around he ran me clear off the road into the gravel shoulder! Not too fun with a BMW touring bike!!

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing more than my observation but it seems nearly everyone on the road is out to kill you. I don't know why it is but I have my suspicions. I drive, ride my bicycle, and walk with that idea in mind.
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of younger people grew up playing video games. When those have a head on crash they typically bounce off each other and keep going with no consequences. If you've been driving video games for 20 years and real cars for 5 you probably feel like it will be like the video game....
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
stupidity/medical problems/intoxication and all the other things that could make a driver do that. Just happened, BIL was driving his 18 wheeler and a SUV hit him full dead on. She was drunk. She didn't get hurt bad, BIL is having back troubles now. How both didn't die is amazing.

Cars/drivers and traffic are absolutely dangerous to no end, always be on your toes ๐Ÿ™‚ It is the best one can do. We drive, we take the chances out on the road.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have to be honest, I am stunned that we have as few wrecks in this country as we do. From my experience as a police officer, it seems as though a large percentage of the population is completely unaware of anything happening more than 15-20 feet in front of them.

People texting, eating, fiddling with GPS, having multiple electronic devices stuck to their windshield obscuring their view, dialing their phone, putting on makeup, reading a magazine, etc.

I've been on traffic collisions with my lightbar activated and people will pull right behind me and honk at me to move... they have ZERO idea that the marked police car canted across 2 lanes of traffic with a full lightbar turned on is intentionally blocking the road.

We've all seen it in stop and go traffic where there is a fender bender wreck. Everyone knows that traffic is stop and go... but someone can't take the time to pay attention and runs into the guy in front of him.

Oblivious drivers, inattentive drivers, stupid drivers... they surround us every day. Its a miracle that we don't have more wrecks every day in this country.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
How many times do you see someone changing lanes like a Nascar race to pass you just for you to pull up next to them at a red light? People just have to be the first one. I've seen a lot of people lately passing in no passing zones on a hill, etc. They have no brains and it will catch up with them, hopefully not taking us out in the process. I notice that when I pull the trailer, I notice more stupid behavior, probably because I'm traveling slower. One last rant...People follow me so close in my truck that I can just see the roof of their car if I'm lucky. Good luck going under my truck when I have to make a quick stop.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Typical! Just another normal day on while traveling on the highways these days. More dangerous than ever. Accidents are becoming more and more unavoidable even to the most attentive drivers.

Respect and courtesy toward others has been phased out with the me first generations taking over, and not just on the road.