cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hey Equalizer people, which one should I get?

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
I think I want to order an Equalizer WDH, and wonder which one...

I tow with a 2013 F150 Ecoboost with payload of 1200#.

My toy hauler weighs 5k to 6k depending with a GVWR of 7k

Tounge weight is around 800#.

Do I get the one rated at 10k, 12,or 14k?

Thanks....
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T
24 REPLIES 24

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Someone recommended it and it looked interesting. I did some research and decided I liked it. I used it on a 1400 mile trip and really like it. Very, very quiet. You cannot hear anything at all. No sway, and many times I forgot I was towing. Never have to grease anything either, so it's clean. I like that it's light weight too at about 55#.

Thanks for the reply.

... Eric

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
09KZMXT266 wrote:

Thanks....

First you need real weights and not just WAGs, SWAGs, Hopefull #s, etc. which your 5k to 6K and especially you total guess of the TW being "AROUND 800#" all are. Until you have real numbers you might as well take a guess at a WDH rating of say 12 and hope it is right.

Larry

Larry, The amounts I stated were based from memory of real weights from last year when I probably weighed 20 times between two trucks. That's why I used vague language. My trailer weighs right at 5,000# loaded. Tongue weight I can't remember exactly. Anyway, I bought the Andersen No-sway hitch, so it's all irrelevant now.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
09KZMXT266 wrote:
CND SuperCrew wrote:
If you are using this setup:

Then the 1/10k is fine

Thanks, but I opted for the Andersen No-sway WDH system instead of the Equal-I-zer system.

Amazon said it shipped today, so hopefully I get it before I leave on my trip next week.

Curiosity question, why the Andersen?

Someone recommended it and it looked interesting. I did some research and decided I liked it. I used it on a 1400 mile trip and really like it. Very, very quiet. You cannot hear anything at all. No sway, and many times I forgot I was towing. Never have to grease anything either, so it's clean. I like that it's light weight too at about 55#.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
09KZMXT266 wrote:

Thanks....

First you need real weights and not just WAGs, SWAGs, Hopefull #s, etc. which your 5k to 6K and especially you total guess of the TW being "AROUND 800#" all are. Until you have real numbers you might as well take a guess at a WDH rating of say 12 and hope it is right.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Community Alumni
Not applicable
09KZMXT266 wrote:
CND SuperCrew wrote:

Then the 1/10k is fine

Thanks, but I opted for the Andersen No-sway WDH system instead of the Equal-I-zer system.

Amazon said it shipped today, so hopefully I get it before I leave on my trip next week.

Curiosity question, why the Andersen?

Ov3r_9000
Explorer
Explorer
First off, the Equal-i-zer hitch works great. I tow with one currently. However, once the paint wears off the weight distribution bars. You will hear the most God awful โ€œNails on a chalkboardโ€ sound you have ever heard. The first time it happened to me. I had to take the bars off when I arrived at the campground. It was extremely embarrassing. I did make one mistake though. When I bought my new TT the hitch was setup to and empty truck and trailer. I did not touch the hitch after that. I have since loaded the TT with everything I thought I would take with me, and also loaded the truck. Then, I setup the hitch again. I also purchased the bracket jackets for the L-brackets. The noise is almost completely gone. I am now able to drive into the campground without waking the dead.
Equal-i-zer tells you that the jackets will reduce the amount of sway control, but I have not noticed any difference in the amount of sway control.

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
CND SuperCrew wrote:

Then the 1/10k is fine

2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

CND_SuperCrew
Explorer
Explorer

Then the 1/10k is fine
TV 2012 F150 loaded XLT EB SuperCrew 7700GVWR Maxtow 6.5'
TT 2021 Keystone Passport GT 2870RL

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used the Anderson hitch when I had my HiLo trailer. I liked it. It was simple to operate, simple to install. My biggest complaint was I had to undo the nut on each side each every time I hitched and unhitched. My other complaint was when I unhitched at an angle. If the angle was too large when I unhitched, it was hard to rehitch it latter, if I didn't back in at nearly the same angle.

I think you will like the way the Andersen Hitch works.

09KZMXT266 wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
09KZMXT266 wrote:
Thanks all, but I went a different direction. I ordered an Andersen no-sway WDH. Very excited to get it and try it out. Thanks again for all the advice.

There's a growing number of Anderson users out there. Let us know how it works out for you once you set it up.

I'll do that. I'm sure it will do just fine if it's half as good as forum members and the online info I saw says it is. My toy hauler fully loaded really is only about 5000#. The hard part about my setup is how to deal with the tongue weight when my payload rating on the F150 FX4 is only 1199#. Having the TW take up most of that doesn't leave a lot of room for anything else. One of the things I like about the Andersen is it's less on the TW since it only weighs 55#. ๐Ÿ™‚
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
09KZMXT266 wrote:
Thanks all, but I went a different direction. I ordered an Andersen no-sway WDH. Very excited to get it and try it out. Thanks again for all the advice.

There's a growing number of Anderson users out there. Let us know how it works out for you once you set it up.

I'll do that. I'm sure it will do just fine if it's half as good as forum members and the online info I saw says it is. My toy hauler fully loaded really is only about 5000#. The hard part about my setup is how to deal with the tongue weight when my payload rating on the F150 FX4 is only 1199#. Having the TW take up most of that doesn't leave a lot of room for anything else. One of the things I like about the Andersen is it's less on the TW since it only weighs 55#. ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
09KZMXT266 wrote:

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Link to Anderson.

I've never seen this type of system before. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I like Blue Ox Sway Pro. Check them out while you are shopping.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL