cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hey Equalizer people, which one should I get?

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
I think I want to order an Equalizer WDH, and wonder which one...

I tow with a 2013 F150 Ecoboost with payload of 1200#.

My toy hauler weighs 5k to 6k depending with a GVWR of 7k

Tounge weight is around 800#.

Do I get the one rated at 10k, 12,or 14k?

Thanks....
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T
24 REPLIES 24

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
What downtheroad said.

The second hitch he shows is the old EAZ-Lift style hitch, which was the original WD hitch and lots of companies copied. You can add a single or dual friction sway control with this type. The Equal-i-zer Brand hitch has built in sway control. Equal-i-zer has an easy calculator on their site to aid in bar selection in terms of pounds.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
OK....

This is an Equal-i-zer Brand hitch. It has some built in sway control in addition to weight distribution

This is a generic weight distribution hitch...a number of manufacturers offer it or very similar. It does not have any sway control components built into it. It is often mistakenly called an Equalizer hitch (confused with Equal-i-zer). An optional friction sway bar can be added to it for some sway control

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
09KZMXT266 wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
E-trailer has a very informative page that explains how to properly choose/size weight distributing hitch systems. Here's the link.

Whatever size you decide to buy, do understand that unless specifically designed/advertised to do so, WDH systems do NOT serve as/provide sway control, which then must be added on. Too many folks have discovered this the hard way. That part of the equation is also well explained at the linked-to page above.

Are you saying the sway control built-in on some WDH's is not adequate? The Equalizer WDH has sway built in.

Is he talking about that specific brand? Couldn't tell...

I'm just saying that not all WDH hitch systems have built-in sway control. And since the O.P. only asks about weight capacity, I thought it worth mentioning as something to be looked for/at.

I currently have a Pro Series cheapy WDH system. I was wanting to add sway control. Instead of adding a friction bar, I have decided to upgrade to a WDH system with sway built-in. Someone recommended Equal-i-zer brand and it looked promising. I just wasn't sure if I should go 10k,or 12k really.

Now, on another forum everyone is pushing the Anderson No-sway WDH system and I may change my mind to that. ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
09KZMXT266 wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
E-trailer has a very informative page that explains how to properly choose/size weight distributing hitch systems. Here's the link.

Whatever size you decide to buy, do understand that unless specifically designed/advertised to do so, WDH systems do NOT serve as/provide sway control, which then must be added on. Too many folks have discovered this the hard way. That part of the equation is also well explained at the linked-to page above.

Are you saying the sway control built-in on some WDH's is not adequate? The Equalizer WDH has sway built in.

Is he talking about that specific brand? Couldn't tell...

I'm just saying that not all WDH hitch systems have built-in sway control. And since the O.P. only asks about weight capacity, I thought it worth mentioning as something to be looked for/at.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Once again here on the Forum with confusion between Equalizer and Eual-i-zer hitches.

Would you please explain the difference between "Euqalizer" and "Eual-i-zer". When I do an internet search of "Eual-i-zer" I get only hits for "Equalizer" and "Equal-i-zer" hitches. And they are one and the same.

What the difference?

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Once again here on the Forum with confusion between Equalizer and Equal-i-zer hitches.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:

2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My outfit is a bit heavier than yours, but I have the 14K. No regrets. I think with your rig, the 10K would do it. However, if you are planning on switching trailers some day soon, you may want to go with the 12K. Don't just plan for the immediate moment, but look ahead also. I used the same WD bars on 3 different trailers and 4 different tow vehicles. I thought the WD system was a bit overkill when I first got them, but they paid to be beneficial a couple years later when we traded for a heavier camper. (I'm just sayin'? Think about your future too!).

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
If your weights are loaded then the 10k should be plenty and still leave a little room for the tongue weight to increase. Bigger than that would work but ride may suffer with the stiffer bars.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley