cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to remove/prevent standing water at campsite???

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, our seasonal campsite has a low spot (approximately 20' x 10') that collects water after a good rain. Normally, it absorbs into the ground pretty quickly, however this year the soil is so saturated that the water has no where to go.

Since, it is the low spot (has high sides on all 4 sides) what can I do to minimize the pooling of water so I don't have to wade through ankle deep water when leaving my camper?

Thoughts?

dh
61 REPLIES 61

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dtank wrote:
darleyhavidson wrote:

I am not installing/using a sump pump. If I lived there permanently, that course of action might be more feasible.

From where I sit you have limited options;
1)Witch about it.
2)Move
3)Divert the water before it drains to your site
4)Fill area to raise grade.
5)Install a gravity flow drainage system
6)Pump water out of area.
1 is what you want to stop. 2&4 You don't want to do. 3&5 a lot of work, and much in areas you don't control.
6, once the bucket is in place, and water collects rent a 2 inch trash pump for a couple of hours. Your feet get wet on the way to get pump, and while you put suction hose in, but water is soon gone.

7) If all the suggestions for a solution are "non starters" - just call it *Mission Impossible* - and try your best to enjoy your lake!

Years ago I contracted to dig the hole for a company putting in a swimming pool. Was finished except the paperwork and we had a cloudburst. Homeowners, contractor and I took shelter in carport. "Look at all that water running into the hole" The woman asked what do we do now? The "educated donkey" in me said Stock it. She I don't want a pond in the yard! Why not? you can swim in a pond but you can't fish in a swimming pool

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Looks like a beautiful site. Just looked at the pictures.
Agree, you canโ€™t fill in appreciably against the trunks of the trees unless you left tree wells.
However with none of us knowing the entire topography of the area or other challenges you have, itโ€™s almost impossible solve your problem and generic suggestions are all youโ€™ll get.
Furthermore, unless you know the ground type and groundwater levels, many of these suggestions may be ineffective as well.
You need to find out what you CAN do and then what will work of those ideas.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
darleyhavidson wrote:

I am not installing/using a sump pump. If I lived there permanently, that course of action might be more feasible.

1)Witch about it.
2)Move
1 is what you want to stop. 2&4 You don't want to do. 3&5 a lot of work, and much in areas you don't control.
6, once the bucket is in place, and water collects rent a 2 inch trash pump for a couple of hours. Your feet get wet on the way to get pump, and while you put suction hose in, but water is soon gone.

7) If all the suggestions for a solution are "non starters" - just call it *Mission Impossible* - and try your best to enjoy your lake!

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
darleyhavidson wrote:
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
darleyhavidson wrote:

And as people change the landscape of their campsites around me, my lot is being impacted and is receiving more over the ground water because of it.

So, he allows others to change the landscape of their sites, but won't allow you to change the landscape of yours?

The landscape changes include adding more gravel to pad, fencing, pulling trees, etc. All the small changes to landscape around me cause water to redirect, was the point I was trying to make.

The point remains: the owner is allowing your neighbors to change the landscaping, which redirects water onto your plot, but he won't allow to to change the landscaping to redirect water OFF of your spot...

Seems like a workable option would be to build a French Drain along the perimeter of your plot to direct the water from your neighbors off of your plot before it even gets there.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me I would use combo of drain tile and some gravel ... doesn't cost much and it should last for a LONG time.
Kevin

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
Set a laser up, find the low spot.
Or just observe how the water recedes.
Practical low point is probably already known.

Years of pulling a enddump, I could likely eyeball the slope to find the low spot. OP worried about digging in wrong place.

darleyhavidson wrote:

1)Witch about it.
2)Move

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
darleyhavidson wrote:
he has had 2 years and my patience is at an end. So, I am looking for some sustainable solutions.

That camper has wheels, right?
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:

I think if I were in your situation, I would try putting in some drain pipe runs out to a place where the water can flow to. Could even be the gravel filled trench already mentioned. The grass can grow over it but the drain still works.
Barney

Installing drain pipe is not ideal. The only path to direct the water goes uphill. 6 foot higher than the low spot. Not sure what gravel filled trench you are referring to, there is nothing like that on my lot.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
JRscooby wrote:
Set a laser up, find the low spot.
Or just observe how the water recedes.
Practical low point is probably already known.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Beware of adding too much fill to level out the property. That could cause the two large trees which are presently under water to die. Changing the ground level around tree roots can be fatal to the plant in some cases. This has happened to me.

I think if I were in your situation, I would try putting in some drain pipe runs out to a place where the water can flow to. Could even be the gravel filled trench already mentioned. The grass can grow over it but the drain still works. This was our solution (perforated flexible drain pipe)and has been working great for about 20 years at our home.
Fairly inexpensive repair also. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

dedmiston
I was thinking about the deep drains, but I don't think they'd give you enough volume to make a difference. You've got more than 50 gallons of puddle there.

When I was a kid our driveway was poorly designed and only about 1/4 of it drained to the street and the rest drained back towards the house and made a huge puddle by our side yard gate (not as big as your puddle though).

I was probably 15 years old and had been taking music lessons for years and really wanted a new instrument, but it was more than I could afford. My dad told me he's pay half if I did a job for him. He brought home a 55 gallon drum with the bottom cut out of it and handed me a shovel. It took me days to dig a hole almost as deep as I was tall. Then we sunk the drum and surrounded it with gravel and topped it with a large drain fixture and grate to funnel the water into the drum.

It worked great for us, but I don't think we ever had more than 55 gallons of water to dispose of.

It's a whole lot of work and you'd need multiple drums. I think the only reason it worked for us is that we live in an arid climate and the drum was always empty until it rained. It's pretty green where you are though, so I don't think you'd start off with an empty receptacle like we did. You'd have to sink too many drums down there to make any difference.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
darleyhavidson wrote:
magicbus wrote:
Instead of multiple smaller holes I have used a plastic trash can with holes in the side, set in a hole with gravel around the sides, and a pressure treated lid I made with a drain attached to the lid by a short piece of PVC. I put a little gravel around the drain to prevent dirt from washing in. Worked great and could handle and disperse a good deal of water in a downpour.

Dave

Fair point. My issue with digging one big hole is that if I choose the wrong spot or that spot does not absorb/drain water very well, than I am out that time and money.

I'm hard of understanding; How do you not pick the right spot? Set a laser up, find the low spot. Bury a bucket so the brim is below grade. Put a cover on it, that will let water in. A bird bath or something to mark location, keep you off it. When your lake forms, move cover, drop pump pickup in bucket run 'til standing water is gone over the hill.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
darleyhavidson wrote:
magicbus wrote:
Instead of multiple smaller holes I have used a plastic trash can with holes in the side, set in a hole with gravel around the sides, and a pressure treated lid I made with a drain attached to the lid by a short piece of PVC. I put a little gravel around the drain to prevent dirt from washing in. Worked great and could handle and disperse a good deal of water in a downpour.

Dave

Fair point. My issue with digging one big hole is that if I choose the wrong spot or that spot does not absorb/drain water very well, than I am out that time and money.

I'm hard of understanding; How do you not pick the right spot? Set a laser up, find the low spot. Bury a bucket so the brim is below grade. Put a cover on it, that will let water in. A bird bath or something to mark location, keep you off it. When your lake forms, move cover, drop pump pickup in bucket run 'til standing water is gone over the hill.

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:

Dave