cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How young to take children??

nwbearcat1998
Explorer
Explorer
What's the youngest you've taken your baby camping before??

We have a brand new Forest River Cherokee and can't wait to go camping again
We have a two year old toddler and a two week old baby. We plan on going over labor day weekend with our new baby girl when she'll be 7 weeks old.

We really want to go once before then though so I'd love to hear some others that have taken babies camping.
31 REPLIES 31

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours was about 5 months in a pop-up tent trailer in Sequoia.
Brought a large carpet remnant to ensure there was a soft and clean place outside to play or rest as needed.

nwbearcat1998
Explorer
Explorer
We took our four week old camping last weekend and it went great !!!!!!

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
No such thing as to young, take the baby now.

Agreed! As long as there are no unusual medical issues, if you are able to handle the baby at home, you can handle them camping. We found that as long as the babies were warm, dry, and fed, they didn't notice the difference anyway ๐Ÿ™‚

The only thing we changed when the children were very young is that we made an effort to stay on a routine similar to at home..which mostly meant normal meal, bed, and nap times. As they got older, those things held less importance when on vacation...

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
No such thing as to young, take the baby now.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

MattFromPA
Explorer
Explorer
Our daughter was 6 months when we took her to Shenandoah NP (she is now seven and has a younger brother, who went when he was 5 months for the first time).

Took her hiking in a backpack carrier and we (and our two dogs) walked smack into a bear. Made some memories that trip!

We also had a tremendous wind storm the second night. Being in a pop-up we did not sleep that night for fear of damage. Decided to leave the following day and skip the third night. No regrets though, it just gave us another story!

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
nwbearcat1998 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the stories. We're not going to wait and enjoy every moment we have.
if in an rv of some sort it is not much different then being at home. Go when ever you are comfortable. The kids love it. I think our younger one was about four months when we first got to go with him, and it was a trip 509 miles away to the mountains for a week. I used to spread a few tarps on the ground during the day, so that the boys could crawl and roll around, to keep them off the gravel.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
On the bright side I wound up with many naked pics of him in the sand to embarrass him w/ later.

LOL! Wish I was that lucky! :B

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
My youngest was born mid June 1980. By the start of August that year we were on our first month long-non cycling camping trip with his 6 y/o brother, who already had 4 or 5 camping summers under his belt.

Couldn't find a diaper service on the Cape so decided to give in and go with disposables. Didn't realise the poor child was allergic to Pampers but fortunately I had about 7-8 cloth diapers with me and spent the whole trip washing them out daily:o.

On the bright side I wound up with many naked pics of him in the sand to embarrass him w/ later.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yup, lots of young babies. Took our son camping in the Sierras on the 4th of July when he was just a month old. Matter of fact, he was a lot easier to camp with as a young kid than as he got older. He and I took a cross-country camping trip when he was four ... took just over a month or so. We had a ball.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
When our church took a group camping one family took their three week old.
Worked fine.
My husband was in charge of the group and walked by their site several times to be sure that neighbors would not be disturbed by crying but was was relieved that he did not hear any.
We were at a park with large private sites.

worked

nwbearcat1998
Explorer
Explorer
Huggies? LOL.

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
I have a rule..... No Pampers in the camper.... After that let's go camping!!!
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

nwbearcat1998
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the stories. We're not going to wait and enjoy every moment we have.

Idahoan
Explorer
Explorer
We took our son camping at 2 months old. And that was when we had a tent. And that wasn't even in a campground, we were boondocking in a natinal forest!
2017 RAM 3500 CTD
2017 Sandstorm 286GSLR
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 450
2017 YZ250FX
2011 KTM 250XC
2013 Kawasaki KLX140