cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just Eternabond'ed My Roof

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
After reading all the posts about this stuff, I ordered some 2" and 4" Eternabond from Amazon. Got around to doing it today, and I have to say it was almost a pleasure putting that stuff down. No scraping, caulking guns or spreading caulk down. I was lucky in that the previous owner, who had my Lexington for only a year, kept it garaged, so the original caulk/sealant was still in great shape.
Just cleaned it with some mineral spirits and layed it down. I believe in preventive maintaince, so doing this before a problem occured was a no-brainer.
For those of you who were thinking of doing this, do it, and avoid the leak problems down the road.
Grumpy
15 REPLIES 15

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Just did my Lazy Daze, wish that you could buy a new one with NO sealant, then you could do it right the first time !
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
To prevent damage from the ladder,
get one of those Noodles that the kids use
in the pool, (dollar store)
cut it in half, use two or three ball bungee cords to fasten to top edge of ladder.
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, I understand about using some sealant around the edges. Ordered some Dicor Self Leveling Thursday. Be here Monday.
I used Lacquer to clean, and I have a fiberglass roof, not wubber.
Grumpy

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Using Eternabond does not mean you have avoided a leak in the roof down the road. You still should do a twice a year check up on the top side.

To make the Eternabond look OEM do it like the pro's and add a self leveling sealant to the edges of the Eternabond. Now it doesn't look like a bunch of band aids laying on the roof trying to fix a leaky roof.

OEM look also helps when time comes to sell the unit or trade it in.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Grumpy374 wrote:
After reading all the posts about this stuff, I ordered some 2" and 4" Eternabond from Amazon. Got around to doing it today, and I have to say it was almost a pleasure putting that stuff down. No scraping, caulking guns or spreading caulk down. I was lucky in that the previous owner, who had my Lexington for only a year, kept it garaged, so the original caulk/sealant was still in great shape.
Just cleaned it with some mineral spirits and layed it down. I believe in preventive maintaince, so doing this before a problem occured was a no-brainer.
For those of you who were thinking of doing this, do it, and avoid the leak problems down the road.
Grumpy

Mineral spirits is one of the worst things you can put on any rubber roof. Petroleum products will damage rubber roofs.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Bleugoat
Explorer
Explorer
BluStem wrote:
I am going to do this but can't decide on how to go about it. Have any pictures?

I put it on my truck camper and found this video very helpful:

Eternabond Installation
2003 Dodge 3/4 T Cummins
2005 Outfitter Apex 8

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
We just got hit by a hail storm a couple of weeks ago in MN. We had holes punched in both AC shrouds and the skylight over the shower. DH used Eternabond to patch the holes and cracks until we could get new ones shipped to us.

While he was up on the roof surveying the other 6 RV roofs, he discovered, we were the only ones with damage. But then, we were probably the only ones who had 1 1/2 rolls of Eternabond sitting in the basement for an emergency.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
It did happen, but it's getting ready to monsoon here. I still have to tape up around the vent's, ect. Did get the roof to side seam and the front and rear seams where the caps meet the roof. You'll just have to sit on the edge of your seat awaiting the pic's. I know the anticipation is just gonna eat ya up.
Grumpy

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
If there are no pictures it didn't happen :).

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond is as easy as can be. Surface prep is the key. Follow the instructions, apply and press. You can find youtube clips showing the entire process.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

troll3193
Explorer
Explorer
BluStem wrote:
I am going to do this but can't decide on how to go about it. Have any pictures?

I have some pictures of mine in here. Not pretty maybe, but dry and who looks at your roof...

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25273528/gotomsg/25273915.cfm#25273915

I might change some of my techniques or how I prepped for the next one, but would definitely do it again.

Bryan
2006 RAM 3500 MegaCab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel
Mopar Exhaust Brake
2004 Dutchemen 31BK

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
No, no pic's. Just follow the directions. It's easy. Just remember that when you lay it down, it's down. Not like regular type tape that you can pull back and re-position. Did it on a warm day with over-cast clowds. Would not want to do it in direct sunlight as it get's hot up there.
Would definately recomend it on a new unit--it's easier as it's still pretty clean. At least mine was.
Grumpy

troll3193
Explorer
Explorer
I did mine about 6 years ago. TT is 9 years old at this point. Dry as a bone. Best investment I ever made and would be one of the first mods I would do on a new unit...

Bryan
2006 RAM 3500 MegaCab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel
Mopar Exhaust Brake
2004 Dutchemen 31BK

BluStem
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Dodge 2500 Quadcab
2010 Rockwood 2304S