cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lighter weight power cord

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
I remember seeing a thread about 50A power cords being made with a lighter weight material, but I can’t seem to find it. Is there such a thing and is it safe.
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4
19 REPLIES 19

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
C'mon, these 50 amp cords aren't that bad. Unless you have disability problems it's just not that big of a deal. I'm 74 and getting it out of the truck, coiling and uncoiling, and plugging isn't enough to really stress anyone out. Sounds like you guys need to eat a bigger bowl of Wheaties. 🙂

The meaning of a "Manyl Man" right there folks!!!

:B
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Well we built our own with correct ends for 50 amp cable. The cable is 6/4 SOOW electrical cable. It is rubber insulated rather than PVC. Stays flexible even below freezing.
6/4 SOOW cable

There is no need to use SOOW cordage ! It is rated for 600V. SJOOW is rated for 300V. Also rubber insulated.

Depending on the length, you probably only needed 8/4.

My cord is from a temp power box. It's 6/3 & 8/1 for the ground. Mine is "SOW"

While that is true, I got my cable from a fellow forum member for a very good price. That said, I would not step down to a 8 gauge cable as with Cheap heat I draw 20 amps on both legs during winter.
The real killer is that I wasn't sure my 40' cable was going to reach the 30 amp outlet I installed in my daughters garage when we spent last July there. I built a 23' SOOW extension cord, but I easily reached with our 40' cord.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very close, but it was a Big Chief tablet, we didn't have loose leaf notebooks at that time. 🙂 And a #2 pencil.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
C'mon, these 50 amp cords aren't that bad. Unless you have disability problems it's just not that big of a deal. I'm 74 and getting it out of the truck, coiling and uncoiling, and plugging isn't enough to really stress anyone out. Sounds like you guys need to eat a bigger bowl of Wheaties. 🙂

Yep, walked to school in 6 feet of snow, barefoot, uphill both ways after killing a bear with a loose leaf notebook.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Well we built our own with correct ends for 50 amp cable. The cable is 6/4 SOOW electrical cable. It is rubber insulated rather than PVC. Stays flexible even below freezing.
6/4 SOOW cable

There is no need to use SOOW cordage ! It is rated for 600V. SJOOW is rated for 300V. Also rubber insulated.

My cord is from a temp power box. It's 6/3 & 8/1 for the ground. Mine is "SOW"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Cord reel might be helpful. Had one in our previous FW and it was a nice feature. Ours was powered but I am sure hand crank ones are pretty cheap.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
6/4 SOOW cable

Thus the comments on the weight difference. SOOW is going to be heavier than SOW, and 6/4c heavier than 6/3c 1/8, and even a bigger difference than 8/4c.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
6/4 SOOW cable

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
While this thread is regarding full amperage power cords, depending on your expected load and duration, you can use a 15 or 20 amp power cord (14/12 gauge) with adapters for your 30 amp feed which is much easier to deal with than the 10 gauge 30 amp cord.

When we plug in where we don't expect to use the roof air, a 15/20 amp connection is all we need. Indeed, I use a rubber insulated 12 gauge cord which is sufficient and much easier to handle.

For you 50 amp users, lightweight cord options are limited depending on what you have on each 120 volt branch.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
50A cord is going to weigh about the same no matter. Buy "SO" cord and add the yellow Camco ends for a nice flexible cord.

Ron, I would say the SOOW is noticeably lighter than the standard PVC insulated 6/4 cord set. It is far more flexible, even below freezing. We full time host, this cable has been in constant use for going on six years, from 100+ degree heat to 15 degree cold. We have packed up several times in freezing temps and no issues getting our 40' cable back into a three gallon bucket along with our 30 to 50 amp dog bone.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
6/4 SOOW cable

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I dont really think this cord is any lighter than my factory cord but it is way mor flexible and a lot easier to handle. My old cord was like wrestling with an Anaconda and even worse when it got colder out. This new one rolls right up tight

amazon 50 RV cord
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS