cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motion sensing porch lights notice

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Some of you that have the StarLight motion sensing porch light might be interested in the following notice from the manufacturer.

"Dear friends. Recently we have experienced an abnormally high rate of failure with respect to the small lenses that cover the PIR sensor on either side of the Smart Light 1000. We traced the failures back to a container we received a little over 2 years ago. The problem we found was that the plastics factory did not follow our formula, and consequently there was not enough UV additive in the plastics. Thus, the sun "ate" the lenses and caused them to crumble. While there is no risk of damage to the internal workings of the Smart Light, a missing lens will cause the unit to function improperly.

We have checked all inventory and verified that none of the fixtures on hand have this issue. However, there are many in the field that slipped by us. If you or anyone you know has a problem with these lenses, please contact us so that we can send you complimentary replacements. So sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused, but we are committed to resolving this issue for you. Thank you for your patronage. Happy Camping!"
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad
18 REPLIES 18

Gotago2
Explorer
Explorer
Got my replacements today.
Norm
2011 Itasca Sunstar 35F (35')Ford V-10, pulling 2011 Honda CRV

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The STARLITE is an excellent motion sensing lite setup.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

tmoore2
Explorer
Explorer
Noticed mine were broken last week when I waxed the 5th wheel. Emailed Starlight and got the new lenses Tuesday this week. Got around to replacing them today. Took about an hour. Hope these last a little longer since my Bighorn is only a year and half old.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had not seen that notice but did find one of the lenses broken. I emailed the company, got two responses within 2 hours. One was from the president. They sent new lenses and instructions which I got in less then a week. I just need time to do the job. Yes, I have to do the work but I still believe that their customer service is great!!

Hunter11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hope they have it all worked out because we are going to install one on our new unit as soon as we get it home.
2017 Chevrolet 3500 4DR LTZ DRW LWB 4X4 D/A
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4DR
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
This forum just wouldn't be any fun if we couldn't stir it up once in awhile!! Hee-Hee

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Yup, so now I have to take the unit off, take it apart, replace the two small lenses, remount it then reseal it with caulk/silicon. Should only take about about hour with dragging out the ladder and tools, putting them away and wasting the better part of a tube of silicon to fix THEIR problem...Somehow this doesn't sound very fair to me..

B.O.
Are you serious? Not fair? What would you like, a personal visit from a field rep to fix your $59 light?

What I like about Starlights is that when they have a problem, they say so and fix it. And now someone's looking to squeeze a little more... Geeze
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Yup, so now I have to take the unit off, take it apart, replace the two small lenses, remount it then reseal it with caulk/silicon. Should only take about about hour with dragging out the ladder and tools, putting them away and wasting the better part of a tube of silicon to fix THEIR problem...Somehow this doesn't sound very fair to me..

B.O.

Would you rather they arranged with a dealer to fix it? Then you can haul your rig in and spend the fuel, plus more than an hour of your time. Not sure what you would really want as the resolution. Company president to come to your house and fix a $50 light fixture?

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
B.O. Plenty wrote:
bsinmich wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:

B.O.

They didn't have to make any offer to send parts free and you are complaining?
Got the "Parts" two 1/2" square pieces of paper thin plastic that probably aren't any better than the last ones. Whoopee! I would have been happier if the thing wouldn't have been made out of such junk in the first place...

B.O.
How about a little cheese with that whine?
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Roto Ray

I want one of these instead!! And I want it Motion sensing!!

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
bsinmich wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:

B.O.

Got the "Parts" two 1/2" square pieces of paper thin plastic that probably aren't any better than the last ones. Whoopee! I would have been happier if the thing wouldn't have been made out of such junk in the first place...

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:

B.O.

1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

beliveauj
Explorer
Explorer
That's what happened to ours.I just now contacted the company so will see what they say.Thanks for the info!
Jim & Jeanne fulltiming and loving it.
Buddy and Emma (Silky Terriers)
2003 Ford F350 Crew Cab "King Ranch" Power Stroke 6.0
2007 Mobile Suites 36SB3 Extra Class Amateur Radio Operator