cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motivated by an ice scraper

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
I kept saying: "Maybe one more trip." I thought that maybe the woman and I should get out one last time, maybe see some colorful leaves.

Scraping frost from my winshield this morning motivated me to get the pink stuff in. :E Dropped to 28f last night, going to happen again most of the week. I'll get the battery and the rest of the "stuff" later, but ice damaged water lines scare me.

I do not have one of those fancy water heater by-pass valves, so I do it the way my father taught me. He did it this way with several trailers on his seasonal site...never blew a water line.

First I blow out the lines with a compressor, then I add pink stuff as a secondary measure. "How pink stuff without a by-pass?", you ask. By filling the lines from the top---down, of course. I also disconnect the lines from the water heater tank and let some pink stuff flow into the lines that way. Plus, I add to the tank and suck up a bit to line the bottom of the water heater.

Between blowing out the lines, plus adding the pink stuff, I am realatively certain that pink stuff gets to all the low spots.

By the way, a simple funnel helps to keep from pouring pink stuff onto the sinks.....goes straight down the drain.

9 REPLIES 9

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Even if it does freeze, the low spots should always be PEX and PEX can take freezing and thawing rather well. It is the Elbows and the "Adapters" (The things that go from PEX to Iron Pipe Thread) that can not take freezing.

Of course there is a better way.... I'm in Townsend GA. I'm winterized... The best way ๐Ÿ™‚ (What's an ice scraper?)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
If you blow the lines out.. (I like to blow 5-10 times to insure I get most all the water out) since PEX can survive freezing nicely,, Why bother with pink stuff in the fresh system.

Of course I used Pink in the drains and toilets but not only once in the fresh water system. NEVER AGAIN in the fresh water system.

I guess I do both because I would rather be safe than sorry. A tad bit of pink stuff just to make sure if anything settles into a low spot, it will not freeze.

A drop or two, or three, can make a river if enough of them gather together. How many drops don't come out with air???? Drop here, drop there, settled into the low spot worries me.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you blow the lines out.. (I like to blow 5-10 times to insure I get most all the water out) since PEX can survive freezing nicely,, Why bother with pink stuff in the fresh system.

Of course I used Pink in the drains and toilets but not only once in the fresh water system. NEVER AGAIN in the fresh water system.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
I'm always up to learning something new! Thanks!

Agreed.

I may have to steal your dads idea. Or, at least a version of it because I too do not have a water heater by-pass.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
THat was just a wake up call that winter is coming. however it was not the signal to put it away yet. I have at least a month to go yet
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

westend
Explorer
Explorer
That cold front moved through here, last week. I didn't winterize anything yet. I think it barely touched 28-30, here.
Just relax, it was 73f in Minneapolis, today. Warmth is coming your way.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm always up to learning something new! Thanks!

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Well better safe than sorry I suppose. IMHO 28 degrees is not worth winterizing.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
No bypass just use a piece of running and some fittingsunhook from water heater create the loop and use the water pump fast easy simple