cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neat little trick conversion

Navyvette
Explorer
Explorer
I am moving and instead of paying to have my RV moved this time I decided to pull it and I rented a U-Haul to pull my 20’ cargo trailer. The only problem I had was my trailer is setup with a 2 5/16” coupler and the U-Haul has a welded 2” ball rated for 10k. My trailer is lighter than this and even though the U-Haul has a 2” channel to put an offset hitch in I really didn’t want to spend a ton of money on an entire hitch just for the one trip.
So how to use a 2” ball with a 2 5/16” coupler? I found this, I didn’t even know these existed but super cheap and as long as I’m not exceeding the rating of the 2” ball.

Link

Neat little piece to have in the tool box
18 REPLIES 18

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
For all you grumpy old pharts out there who refuse to educate yourselves before spouting your opinions... (Wasn't it Grit Dog that said something akin to, "better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt" in another recent thread?)

The description of the ball adapter is, "Replacement 2-5/16" Adapter for Weigh Safe Hitch Ball with Built-In Scale."

So I went and looked at the Weigh Safe Hitch Ball With Built-In Scale.

This item here: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Ball/Weigh-Safe/WSUN-1.html

Specs:

Ball diameter: 2"
2-5/16" Diameter with included adapter
Weight capacity: 10,000 lbs
Tongue weight capacity: 1,500 lbs
Shank diameter: 1"

The adapter is designed for full-time use on a ball that has a 1500lb tongue weight rating and a 10,000lb trailer weight capacity.

Being clamped INSIDE a trailer coupler, where's it gonna go? What's it gonna do? NOWHERE, and NOTHING are the correct answers.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Kool gizmo there. Thanks for posting.

Of course every good idea comes with a bunch of the usual nay sayers.

I know my 2" ball is bolted on to the receiver, but it may take a 2" impact to break that big "kinda" rusty nut loose. :h

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Too many worry warts here. My biggest concern would be whatever Uhaul you are renting being too anemic to tow a trailer without being a burden on your trip.
If you're getting a moving van AND towing the trailer, consider a Penske or similar moving van on a bigger chassis.
I got sick of the Uhaul junk and runaround years ago. Last time I did what you're planning I got a big Penske truck class 6 or whatever it was and cruised at max speed the whole way with snowmachine trailer in tow.
Nice to not be dogging a u haul turd all loaded down. But maybe u haul is better now?
Haven't moved with a moving van since 2011
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Ozlander wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Your U-Haul contract specifically disallows the use of any of their vehicles to pull any trailer other than one of theirs that you have rented. You better read that rental contract carefully, as you may find yourself in a very difficult legal situation.

And all of their trailers have a 45 mph limit.
How does that work for you?

Lol, who cares? The u haul cops?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal....Thank you and X3 to Barney's comment

Been looking for an example of ratings...going up to and over...and fatigue failure...

Just a maybe some will understand that Laws of Physics"...

That 2" dia ball has a rating. As does the 2 5/16" dia ball. As does all tow balls

The one that comes with that U-Haul Rental has had hundreds to thousands of different drivers and tens of thousands of miles

Some just drive it...too many abuse it because it is not theirs (IMHO, lease vehicles are in the same boat)

Will break on the OP's trip ?....most likely not, but there is a chance Mr Murphy might cross his path during that trip...

Same thing with the forever disbelief here on these forums of the OEM's ratings for TV's...heck anything out there...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with Hannibal above. I might use it for a short, local move but anything longer I would not.
I would not be concerned about the trailer coming off the ball because of the WD bars holding it on, but would be concerned with the diameter of the shaft of the ball being able to take the loads put on it by a trailer that needed a larger ball.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't be worried about the adapter. I'd be concerned about the rating of the stem of the 2" ball towing a trailer heavy enough to require a 2 5/16" ball.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Your U-Haul contract specifically disallows the use of any of their vehicles to pull any trailer other than one of theirs that you have rented. You better read that rental contract carefully, as you may find yourself in a very difficult legal situation.

The rental contract does not specify a 45 mph limit. They paint that on the trailer but that is not a legal contract. I am an attorney and have done some work for someone who had a wreck towing a U Haul trailer so I am familiar with the issues. The OP should be very careful.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
From the U Haul truck user intructions:
"If you plan to tow your own trailer, check with a U-Haul representative to determine the maximum trailer weight you can tow. Make sure your trailer is properly loaded, that the coupler and safety chains are attached and that the trailer lights are working properly. See your trailer owner's manual for more information."
This is in your legal contract. If you violate it, I would drive very cautiously and have a thick wallet.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:

Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
All modern U-haul trucks 14' and longer have a standard 2" receiver as well. I think only the little single-rear-wheel trucks don't get them, and those have a way lower rating anyways
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't hesitate to use that at all!
To the comment about losing the trailer...a 2 5/16" coupler that's not wore out will not come off a a 2" ball. Not that I would ever recommend towing like this, but believe it or not, people do it everyday simply because they don't know the difference. I've personally towed short trips this way with an unloaded trailer because I was in a pinch.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I have never seen or heard of these before this. While not the hot set up for a permanent use, I could see it coming in very handy in a pinch
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles