Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to flat towing and a little nervous

lonetow
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,
I am all rigged up to flat tow my 02 Jeep Wrangler behind our truck-camper, I just really don't understand what keeps the towed vehicle tracking directly behind the towing vehicle and it is a little creepy to me.
The other day I was driving that jeep on a 2 lane state hwy with normal imperfections, repairs ect, I let go of the wheel and the Jeep after hitting this imperfections starts to drift off a straight track.
My Jeep only has 42k miles and the front end alignment feels fine (no pulling) and no abnormal tire wear, and no slop in the tierods, trackbar, idler ect.

Can someone explain this method and how the towed vehicle stays tracking correctly? Is it the positive caster or ?? Thanks for any help easing my fears of disaster
2006 Dodge Quad 2500/4X4/SWB/CTD/Auto
2013 Lance 825
Rancho 9000XLs Firestone Bags
2002 Jeep TJ Sahara Auto 6cyl
15 REPLIES 15

lonetow
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
Here's what Blue Ox says about height differences between MH & toad. Never more than 4 inches.

http://www.blueox.com/t-TowingPhysics101.aspx

I should've made it clear my bar is an Acclaim and is angled at the coupler, here is my manual, see page 3 or 4
Blue Ox Acclaim
2013 Lance 825

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what Blue Ox says about height differences between MH & toad. Never more than 4 inches.

http://www.blueox.com/t-TowingPhysics101.aspx

lonetow
Explorer
Explorer
imgoin4it wrote:
I think how the Jeep tracks has been addressed. Someone touched on it but if the height of the tow bar connection on the truck and the height of the connection on the jeep are anything but the same, call Blue Ox and ask what the max difference should be. You will get many answers from various people but the manufacturer's answer is the one you want.

The Blue Ox manual states that the Acclaim bar coupler should be parallel to the ground (which is on a different plain than the legs) thus the center point of the attachment lugs on the bar should be 7 inches lower than the center of the ball on the receiver tongue. It also states "If the tow bar coupler is at an angle, damage or accident could occur

Blue Ox does sell dropped receivers, 2-10 inch drops.
2013 Lance 825

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I think how the Jeep tracks has been addressed. Someone touched on it but if the height of the tow bar connection on the truck and the height of the connection on the jeep are anything but the same, call Blue Ox and ask what the max difference should be. You will get many answers from various people but the manufacturer's answer is the one you want.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

lonetow
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
I use a "drop" drawbar with my toad and it works perfectly. Nothing else required.

Thanks
2013 Lance 825

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I use a "drop" drawbar with my toad and it works perfectly. Nothing else required.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
It is the caster angle built into the front steering that allows the Jeep to track behind the coach, It is the caster angle that prevents you from backing up when hooked to the coach.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

lonetow
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
Agree with all above.

Just wanted to make sure you know you cannot back up.

Also, don't allow any sideways play in the tow rig. For example, if you need a "drop" drawbar to get your towbar level, you may need an immobilizer device to keep it from wobbling.

Everything is installed but I have yet to hook the 2 up and check what angle if any I have to deal with. My 3/4 4X4 Dodge with airbags sits pretty high but after putting on a 18 inch extension to clear the camper, I found towing my 4 wheeler trailer did not need a dropped tongue because the slight droop in the extension was more significant over the 18 inches.

I did not know you couldn't back up,
Thanks
2013 Lance 825

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree with all above.

Just wanted to make sure you know you cannot back up.

Also, don't allow any sideways play in the tow rig. For example, if you need a "drop" drawbar to get your towbar level, you may need an immobilizer device to keep it from wobbling.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

lonetow
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The front wheels on your Jeep (and all cars/trucks) pivot at a slight angle called the caster. Think of the front wheels on a grocery cart. When you push it straight ahead, the wheels stay straight. When you apply a side force, they readily turn, but if you don't maintain the turning force, they straighten out again. Your Jeep front wheels work the same way.

Good example Thanks
2013 Lance 825

lonetow
Explorer
Explorer
lonetow wrote:
sch911 wrote:
As stated the tow bar is rigid. And you leave the steering wheel unlocked. It will follow the towing vehicle perfectly.

I have the Blue Ox 5k bar with 2" ball coupler and Blue ox baseplate.
I am just wondering what makes the loose (not locked) steering on the Jeep make a turn with the towing truck and then return to center without going into a bind
2013 Lance 825

lonetow
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
As stated the tow bar is rigid. And you leave the steering wheel unlocked. It will follow the towing vehicle perfectly.

I have the Blue Ox 5k bar with 2" ball coupler and Blue ox baseplate.
I am just wondering what makes the loose (not locked) steering on the Jeep make a turn with the towing truck and then return to center without going into a bind
2013 Lance 825

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The front wheels on your Jeep (and all cars/trucks) pivot at a slight angle called the caster. Think of the front wheels on a grocery cart. When you push it straight ahead, the wheels stay straight. When you apply a side force, they readily turn, but if you don't maintain the turning force, they straighten out again. Your Jeep front wheels work the same way.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad