cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One battery burst today

moman1
Explorer
Explorer
I have six 6 volt coach batteries and one of them burst today. Is there any danger in having the engine running or connecting up to shore power before I replace it? Also, there isn't much room in the battery compartment so I'll probably have to remove the front battery first. Besides marking all cables before disconnecting them, any tips on making this a smooth transition?
10 REPLIES 10

moman1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas and tips everyone. I appreciate it.

Here's a quick summary as to the why: While in storage, I neglected to turn off the inverters. Even with everything else off, the inverters will still drain the batteries and the solar charger can't keep up. So, since my MH was in storage away from home, I just wanted to get it home to work on it. I disconnected the motor batteries and charged them up; they are sealed batteries and charged up nicely. I hooked them up and brought the MH home. The battery burst when I connected to 20 amp shore power (I forgot to fill the coach batteries first).

So, I have since filled the remaining batteries with distilled water and tomorrow, I'll buy the replacement battery. Then, I have to hope that the other batteries will hold a charge. Otherwise, I get to spend $750 on 5 more batteries. Also, I hope charging/replacing the coach batteries is the reason why my generator won't start. This was a waterfall event where I have to fix one thing before fixing another and so on.

CANAMKID
Explorer
Explorer
Besides all of the above . Once you get the batts reinstalled I would check the
converter out put,It mey be over chargeing. Check with a DVOM. Should start at
13.8v & then drop off to a float charge once fully charged.
Steve
CanAmKid

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
OK...obvious question, Why did it burst? It appears you have 2012 unit, so I assume the batteries are 1 year old. What happened and why?

Lead acid batteries will burst or balloon out if they're charged at a high rate when the electrolyte is low.

Fast charging is hard on "dense plate" or deep cycle batteries.
A regulated charging circuit should always be used to top up RV batts...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi 3 dog,

LA = lead acid

3 dog nights wrote:
LA batteries ???????
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
LA batteries ???????
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
OK...obvious question, Why did it burst? It appears you have 2012 unit, so I assume the batteries are 1 year old. What happened and why?

He may just never know why.

Without a truly knowledgeable person to inspect the now open battery, there is no way to know.

Odds on are that a cell in that battery shorted, then was overheated with the power for the other batteries and the gas in the cell ignited. This is not uncommon in situations with LA batteries in parallel. The real snare is that the short heavy load on the other batteries in the common bank may also have been damaged. This is difficult to detect.

Just one of the reasons I don't like to build systems with LA batteries in parallel.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Yes. This is what I would do--I've not put it in any order other than the first two items.

Disconnect the negative wire(s).
Some converters do NOT like to operate without a battery to smooth the voltage.

In addition:

Take a photograph as well as marking all the positive wires with red tape.
Make up a paste of baking soda and water.
Clean with the baking soda paste and then rinse well with lots of water water.
Wear wool clothing.
Wear eye protection.
Wear disposable gloves.
Consider using corrosion resistant paint to touch up the compartment.

X2
You need to get that cleaned up ASAP!!
Battery acid is very corrosive.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Yes. This is what I would do--I've not put it in any order other than the first two items.

Disconnect the negative wire(s).
Some converters do NOT like to operate without a battery to smooth the voltage.

In addition:

Take a photograph as well as marking all the positive wires with red tape.
Make up a paste of baking soda and water.
Clean with the baking soda paste and then rinse well with lots of water water.
Wear wool clothing.
Wear eye protection.
Wear disposable gloves.
Consider using corrosion resistant paint to touch up the compartment.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to be using the battery bank right away, I'd disconnect another of the 6V batteries, so that you keep the 12V system. It may not matter, but it may?

Take a couple of pictures and make a drawing....anything to help make sure you get it wired back correctly. Even the pros have problems sometimes...even when it seems as if would be so simple.

Be careful of the acid...protect your face and eyes, as well as your hands.

Good luck:)
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ๐Ÿ™‚
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.๐Ÿ˜ž
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets