cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Other than Amazon and Beet Harvest, what's out there?

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
I'm aware of Camperforce at Amazon and the Sugar Beet Harvest in the north as excellent Workamping opportunities. They also ask for your time at about the same time of the year. What other, similar, opportunities exist?
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
22 REPLIES 22

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
great info trekker thanks a bunch..

good to know the inside scoop..

hows the weather that time of year and when does it get dark.. I would guess that late in season on the 8 am to 8 pm shift you dont see sun but during work.. any day off or do the the 30 day non stop.. that sounds brutal if no days or day off.. what is usual pay for the jobs??

Sounds like being a foreman is the way to go. Is foreman pay better?? i hope.. what does foreman do and did you work there last year as foreman..

thanks again man for the info.

Trekker3 wrote:
Carl & 4x4Dodger:
You are correct, the sugar beet harvest is for American Crystal Sugar Co. which is a large co-op.
We work for and are hired by Express Employment Professionals. The contact info is listed below.
Al is a great guy to talk to. He will answer any questions you might have.

Al Sorensen
Workamper Liaison
Express Employment Professional
sugarbeetharvest.com
Office: 701-787-5655, ext 239
Fax: 701-787-5881

During the full harvest you work 7 days a week and 12 hr shifts, usually from 8 to 8, either nights or days. anything after 8 hrs is time and a half, Saturdays are time and a half all day, and Sundays are double time all day. The campsite is totally paid for while you are there.
Previous career wise, I was a Master Plumber and also was the supervisor of the maintenance department of a large correctional facility for 15 years. If you are interested in a foreman's position you would need to let them know. Tell Al Jeff and Joyce say hello!
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

Trekker3
Explorer
Explorer
Carl & 4x4Dodger:
You are correct, the sugar beet harvest is for American Crystal Sugar Co. which is a large co-op.
We work for and are hired by Express Employment Professionals. The contact info is listed below.
Al is a great guy to talk to. He will answer any questions you might have.

Al Sorensen
Workamper Liaison
Express Employment Professional
sugarbeetharvest.com
Office: 701-787-5655, ext 239
Fax: 701-787-5881

During the full harvest you work 7 days a week and 12 hr shifts, usually from 8 to 8, either nights or days. anything after 8 hrs is time and a half, Saturdays are time and a half all day, and Sundays are double time all day. The campsite is totally paid for while you are there.
Previous career wise, I was a Master Plumber and also was the supervisor of the maintenance department of a large correctional facility for 15 years. If you are interested in a foreman's position you would need to let them know. Tell Al Jeff and Joyce say hello!

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
here is what i found
http://sugarbeetharvest.com/index.cfm
seem like the place.

here is a blurb from the website.

American Crystal Sugar Company is a Minnesota agricultural cooperative corporation owned by about 3,000 sugar beet growers in the Minnesota and North Dakota portions of the Red River Valley. It also owns Sidney Sugars, located in Sidney Montana. American Crystal is engaged primarily in the agricultural production, manufacturing and marketing of sugar from sugar beets.

4X4Dodger wrote:
Trekker3 wrote:
If you are looking to earn good $$ in a short amount of time in a workamping position I would have to say that the sugar beet harvest is hard to beat. My wife and I worked it the past 2 seasons. Due to our positions, both years we spent around 4 to 5 weeks in the northern part of the Red River Valley. In 2013 we grossed about $9.5K, which included bonuses, training, etc. This past season, 2014, we ended up with $11K for our stay. We arrived Sept. 12th and were done by Oct. 15 this year. Last year I was an assistant foreman (basically learning about the operation and working a variety of the positions at a piling station) and my wife was a scale house worker on the night shift. This year I was offered a foreman's position at a piling station and my wife worked the scale house on day shift. I worked most of the days we were there and my wife just worked the 14 day period that the full harvest lasted mainly. Our campsite was nice and even included cable tv and wi-fi. All in all a great experience and we met many wonderful people.

I thought at one time you posted a company name for this but I cant find it. Could you let us know what the company is and maybe some contact numbers?

I take it Upper Red River Valley Means Fargo ND? or where exactly were you?

Thanks for the added details.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC

reddwar
Explorer
Explorer
Hearing test
We had nothing to do with hearing aids, OSHA says if where you work is more than 85 db then you will have a hearing test once a year. We ran a mobile hearing testing lab, while working drove a FL80, M2, 3500 Dodge & GMC. They were going to go with 4500 Ford's as they could pull the small & large trailers. I drove the Co. truck wife our rig. What I liked about the job, went in the back door & seen how thing are made. Ever seen what kind of air filter they use on a abrams tank with a turbine engine, did you know FedEx has 65 miles of conveyor belt in Memphis, or how they take a 6" aluminum post & squeeze out a shower door frame, or aluminum trailer frame just a larger die. That is what I loved about the job.
https://www.tkontheweb.com/profile.htm

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trekker3 wrote:
If you are looking to earn good $$ in a short amount of time in a workamping position I would have to say that the sugar beet harvest is hard to beat. My wife and I worked it the past 2 seasons. Due to our positions, both years we spent around 4 to 5 weeks in the northern part of the Red River Valley. In 2013 we grossed about $9.5K, which included bonuses, training, etc. This past season, 2014, we ended up with $11K for our stay. We arrived Sept. 12th and were done by Oct. 15 this year. Last year I was an assistant foreman (basically learning about the operation and working a variety of the positions at a piling station) and my wife was a scale house worker on the night shift. This year I was offered a foreman's position at a piling station and my wife worked the scale house on day shift. I worked most of the days we were there and my wife just worked the 14 day period that the full harvest lasted mainly. Our campsite was nice and even included cable tv and wi-fi. All in all a great experience and we met many wonderful people.

I thought at one time you posted a company name for this but I cant find it. Could you let us know what the company is and maybe some contact numbers?

I take it Upper Red River Valley Means Fargo ND? or where exactly were you?

Thanks for the added details.

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have read about the Sugar Beet harvest and it looks like fun?. The amounts you are showing was gross, so did they pay for RV spot like amazon does or not. if not what was the costing on RV spots.

is the pay for hourly or salaried? what is you past experience to do the foreman type job. I own two companies having to manage several employees, not that it make me any more able, but i would guess it helps?

also that is plenty far north.. how was the weather??

thanks for the info and amount you made during that time.. it sounds like a great 30ish day job.

Trekker3 wrote:
Carl2591, Raleigh NC

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well the Santa thing is out for me.. no beard, no blue eyes, no belly LOL..

Was interested in hearing, get it :), more about the "hearing test" thing you mentioned. I have a cousin that works at a hearing aid office and he had to take a test to do hearing test stuff.. need to know more about this deal if you have website to see etc. you can contact me private as well..

thanks
carl

reddwar wrote:
Best paying 5 week job I have had on the road was Santa, folks I worked for you got to have a real beard, blue eyes, also pass a FBI background check, & the most fun you will ever have. I was at a small mall down south - yes sir, & no sir - I think it made it more fun than a big city.

If you would like to work on the road, we did hearing test for 7 years. Need to be a couple. We did jobs as small as an hr. or two less than 10 people on the railroad, to as long as 3 mo. 12,000 folks most of the time we would work 2-4 days & drive & 200 miles to next job. "we worked per OSHA" We got to travel & get paid for it.

knew a guy & his wife in TX who had a 30' flat bed & made a few hot shot runs.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC

reddwar
Explorer
Explorer
Best paying 5 week job I have had on the road was Santa, folks I worked for you got to have a real beard, blue eyes, also pass a FBI background check, & the most fun you will ever have. I was at a small mall down south - yes sir, & no sir - I think it made it more fun than a big city.

If you would like to work on the road, we did hearing test for 7 years. Need to be a couple. We did jobs as small as an hr. or two less than 10 people on the railroad, to as long as 3 mo. 12,000 folks most of the time we would work 2-4 days & drive & 200 miles to next job. "we worked per OSHA" We got to travel & get paid for it.

knew a guy & his wife in TX who had a 30' flat bed & made a few hot shot runs.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
carl2591 wrote:
Hey dodger
got any more info on the stuff you mentioned..

To me the Utility line deal sounded fun and the RR thing could be neat..My wife has wanted to do to alaska and if there was a way to make money would be better,

thanks
carl

4X4Dodger wrote:
The hotels, restaurants and camps in Alaska all need tons of people for the season. There is a huge temp/migrant workforce that goes there each year.

Summertime in the northern states is also a time when the Utility Locating Services start hiring. This is easy to learn and you can make $18 to $25 per hour with overtime depending on experience.

Also little known is the Rail Road crew transportation industry which is usually in a constant state of hiring. Summer is the busiest time. In any large Rail Road town like Cheyenne Wy or Minot ND or Fargo ND there are companies that hire drivers to pick up and deliver RR crews to their trains. Pay here can vary wildly depending on location and can be very good or not so good.

The above with the exception of Alaska Jobs wont include any campsite.

I am not familiar with the beet harvest can someone enlighten me on that?

The best way to find these companies is do a google search in the state you are interested in....like: "Utility locators north dakota"

Two companies that hire for RR transport are PTI (a terrible company but it;s a short term job)

and Renzenberger. There are others too.

For Alaska I would just google "Alaska Seasonal Jobs" I have worked in Alaska and met many many people working for Bus companies, cruise Lines, Hotels, restaurants etc for just the season. Many offer free or cheap housing...campsites are another issue which I don't know about but perhaps a deal could be struck.

Trekker3
Explorer
Explorer

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
If a workkamper can get $8-9,000 in the bank in 90 days - that is a high-paying WK temp job. And $100 per day is the lowest end of payment. Some are getting $200 per day, with $150 about average right now.

Maybe not on an hourly basis - but for the time workkampers are willing to commit it's near the high end.

You can work 120 days at a national park - your whole summer, and come out with about $3,000 in the bank.

You can work six months at a campground, and add $2,500 to the bank account.

Workkamping short time jobs are about adding to the bank account so that you can avoid working for a while.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
$100 a day for two people working (on call for 24 hours)comes out to about $2.08 and hour. That is "high paying"???

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey dodger
got any more info on the stuff you mentioned..

To me the Utility line deal sounded fun and the RR thing could be neat..My wife has wanted to do to alaska and if there was a way to make money would be better,

thanks
carl

4X4Dodger wrote:
The hotels, restaurants and camps in Alaska all need tons of people for the season. There is a huge temp/migrant workforce that goes there each year.

Summertime in the northern states is also a time when the Utility Locating Services start hiring. This is easy to learn and you can make $18 to $25 per hour with overtime depending on experience.

Also little known is the Rail Road crew transportation industry which is usually in a constant state of hiring. Summer is the busiest time. In any large Rail Road town like Cheyenne Wy or Minot ND or Fargo ND there are companies that hire drivers to pick up and deliver RR crews to their trains. Pay here can vary wildly depending on location and can be very good or not so good.

The above with the exception of Alaska Jobs wont include any campsite.

I am not familiar with the beet harvest can someone enlighten me on that?
Carl2591, Raleigh NC

sonicsix
Explorer
Explorer
WorkampingJobs.com - tons of job listings, workamper resumes and you can even leave a review about your previous workamping jobs. All free and no registration.