cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power outage/partial power in tt

citiznmikem
Explorer
Explorer
Last week a thunderstorm blew through my area. I had a 20 amp power cord hooked up to my tt just to keep the battery up. Lots of lightning and rain. I just checked out my trailer and I only have power to the microwave oven--everything else is dead. No lights, no gas emission monitor, nothing. I reset the breakers to no avail. Checked the power cord source was ok. Could my inverter be bad?
8 REPLIES 8

citiznmikem
Explorer
Explorer
I finally found a blown fuse in the converter (40 amp) but when I installed a new one, it too, blew. I guess this is one of my learning experiences. Will have to tow it to a service dealer. Thanks for all the input from everyone.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could have been an auto-reset breaker, between converter and battery. When you did the disconnect and re-connect, the breaker reset itself.

Here's a link to a picture of one. They are normally located on the trailer frame, inline on the positive battery lead.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
Something tells me your TT had a power surge which may have fried the electrical appliances in your TT

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
That's because the lights are 12 volts and operate from the battery. Sounds like the converter isn't putting out. Check for fuses or breakers between the converter and the battery, there should be one or both.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

citiznmikem
Explorer
Explorer
O.K. now I'm really confused. I disconnected the battery from the tt and put it on charge for an hour. Hooked it back up and now the lights and fans, and it appears everything is on (can't check the A/C unit because I don't have a 30 amp supply) but why does the battery have to be charged for any lights etc to work, even though I'm plugged into a 20 amp power source? And why is the battery not charging up on that 20 amp power supply? It always used to. It is a 1 month old deep cycle rv battery. Could the converter be damaged in some way from a power surge or something?

citiznmikem
Explorer
Explorer
Rechecked everything. Lights are not working anywhere. 10v outlets work at least for a night lite I tried in each one--all work. 12v battery is completely dead, shows nothing on the meter I have. I checked and reset bath GFCI and retripped breakers using the sugested light pressure towards off. Checked all the fuses in box and all look good. Microwave shows power and actually turns on, but it s alone in that regard.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It could have tripped a GFCI receptacle. Check in the galley area or the bath for the unit. Push the reset button.
Doubt whether you have an "inverter" more likely a "converter.
When you reset the circuit breakers, did you apply light pressure toward off before trying to turn on?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Are the 12 volt items, such as, the lights working? Did you check the 110 volt outlets? If you have 110 volts but no 12 volts you may want to check the converter, (not the inverter), to see if it has any blown fuses. Check to see if it is supplying voltage to the battery, you should see at least 13 volts at the battery terminals if it is charging.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU