cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Speed rating answer from Maxxis

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
On M8008, i wrote and asked them as they say M8008 is a high speed tire. Here is there answer.
To ensure your reply reaches the proper destination, do not modify or remove the subject line of this email.
Nick,
"High Speed" is used to differentiate the M8008 ST Radial from other products we offer that are intended for industrial and/or commercial use, in slow speed applications. The Maxxis M8008 ST Radial carries a "Q" speed rating. However, according to the Tire and Rim Association, the U.S. tire industry specification authority, inflation pressures and load specifications in general for any ST Radial trailer tires without a service description, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. However, if the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:
From 66 to 75 MPH โ€“ the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.
From 76 to 85 MPH โ€“ the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.
We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your inquiry and interest in Maxxis Tires.
Best Regards,
Your Maxxis Support Team
--
Maxxis International โ€“ USA
Email: MaxxisSupport@maxxis.com | Web: maxxis.com
--

09/07/2015 20:00

Submission from: Nick

Name::
Nick

Address::

State::
Nevada

Region::
North America

United States
13 REPLIES 13

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
mpierce wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
Every Maxxis ST tire I ever purchased had the speed max molded into it.

Correct. And what the tire mtgs say, is that if you want to run faster, you can, IF you are carrying LESS than the maximum load.

That speed rating, is for the tire loaded to the max. It allows for higher speeds, at lesser loads.

the maxxis response left out at least one important bit of info. Maxxis says the tires carry a Q speed rating. BUT the load rating is for the ST rating at 65mph.

What the response from maxxis didn't state is for the Q rating what is the load rating?? I suspect it is substantially lower than the ST rating load.

They are indirectly giving info in that at the 75mph speed the load rating goes down noticeably based in the increased tire pressure needed. and at 85mph it drops even further.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:

Correct. And what the tire mtgs say, is that if you want to run faster, you can, IF you are carrying LESS than the maximum load.

That speed rating, is for the tire loaded to the max. It allows for higher speeds, at lesser loads.

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Thanks Nick now I know I'm good. I'm upgraded to load range D from load range C and I inflate to max cold which should be good to 85mph. Since I drive 55 I'll never have a problem. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes I'm joking, but it is good to know that the tires are actually rated for more than 65.

Not true! The bulletins DO NOT increase the tire RATING. They merely recommend that if you exceed the RATING to increase pressure and/or reduce the load.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Adding more psi above sidewall max for any tire type has been for years.
At one time it was only in certain size tires (not all) and then some size tires load capacity had to be derated.

Now one point here. Some dealers can and will void/refuse your tires warranty using psi above the tires maximum molded in the sidewall.

I would first ask your tire dealer (any brand) who handles your tires warranty issues about doing so.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
i only put this info on here so people would know fact from opinion. I use Maxxis tires and have been for several years and at speeds i know you dont go or care to go. There are no markings on my tires that i could find only what i could find online.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The standard inflation chart is found on their website. They are giving you what you may do against what is already published. No need to make it more complicated. Personally I have no intention of hurtling 7.5 tons down the highway faster than 65 mph which is molded into the side of the tire.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Thanks Nick now I know I'm good. I'm upgraded to load range D from load range C and I inflate to max cold which should be good to 85mph. Since I drive 55 I'll never have a problem. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes I'm joking, but it is good to know that the tires are actually rated for more than 65.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:

However, if the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:
From 66 to 75 MPH โ€“ the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.
From 76 to 85 MPH โ€“ the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.

This implies that the tire is supposed to be inflated according to a load chart, and that there is enough leeway to add 10lbs if needed.

A more complete answer would include an inflation load chart.

HTH;
John

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
"Q"rating is the common one for studded and studless winter tires.

Q speed rating is 99MPH
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

sremsing
Explorer
Explorer
I don't really care about higher speed ratings. I travel max 65 mph at all times anyway. Gets me there and back. I'm retired, no hurry.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD quad cab, Vortec 6000
Prodigy
2011 Rockwood 2604
wife and one fur buddy.

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Goodyear had a similar statement about their Marathon tires on their website for years. Obviously 65 mph is a rating not a limit.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.