cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steps too tight

sandtsherman
Explorer
Explorer
Before posting this, I tried searching for this. I probably put in the wrong criteria.

Our 5th wheel is only a few months old, 5 times out so far. The fold up steps to the door are so tight we can't hardly pull them out or put them away. We assumed they would loosen after the first few uses, but they seem to be getting harder instead of easier to fold out.

Any suggestions on making them easier to use? I'm going to assume something like WD40 will help, but I'd prefer to keep the area clean.
Steve & Terri
2008 Ford F250 Powerstroke 6.4L
2013 Coachman Chaparral Signature 327RLKS
Look out! We're newbies!
13 REPLIES 13

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
I used lithium grease and haven't had any problems with dirt and muck getting stuck to it. It's actually worked quite well on both sets of steps on my rig.

Lithium grease may work well in some parts of the country but here in the southwest there is often blowing sand which would stick to grease. Therefore WD-40 or a silicone/Teflon spray would be advisable.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I used lithium grease and haven't had any problems with dirt and muck getting stuck to it. It's actually worked quite well on both sets of steps on my rig.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
WD40 will blast the crud away if you flush it with it. It won't lubricate it.
Lithium is what is recommended but it grabs grit and dirt from the road and stick thing us rel good.
I use silicone to blast it clean and to lube them.
Have to clean and lube them after any lengthy trip or storm.
There is one maker, Stromberg Carlson, I think, of steps, that look identical to the ones on our MH and I assume unpowered models too, that have grease seals and don't have to fool with them near as much. Cost more of course. More than you asked for I guess. Just my 1/2 cent worth. Your mileage may vary.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Sooner or later your black/gray dump pulls will need some WD or whatever.......Good luck greasing everything :C
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I also recommend WD-40. It works every time for me and won't leave an oily film to attract dirt.

I also use WD-40 on my stabilizer jacks, including the worm gear. Works very well...
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes, the two side plates are too close. Maybe they're out of spec, maybe somebody dropped them before they welded them to your trailer or maybe you struck something with them backing into your campsite without noticing.

Crawl down there and see if they need to be ever-so-slightly spread apart.

Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
Same issue here - Just sprayed them with WD40 Lithium (new product?) and hoping that will help.
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
A long time ago, in a far away place, I rubbed candle wax on a set that was bugging me.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

CentralCoastCam
Explorer
Explorer
I use liquid wrench when mine do that.
'05 Keystone Challenger 34 TBH 5th wheel MOR/ryde SRE/4000, Dexter wet bolt kit
'05 HD Dodge 3500 DRW extended cab CTD, 4X4, 4:10 gears
Mike & Shannon
Son Kasey & Daughter Lindsay
Alaskan Klee Kai - Kade
Golden Retriver - JD (Just Dog)

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
As stated above WD-40 is too light and is good only if they are stuck because it will evaporate quickly.

White lithium grease will get contaminated with dirt very quickly and will crystallize making matters worse.

Best bet is to clean the hinges with WD-40, wait for it to dry, then spray with dry silicone lubricant.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
I overkilled it with synthetic oil from a oil can. I put paper underneath the steps and flooded the joints with oil. Then open and closed the steps a few times, then oiled it some more. Finally my wife can open and close the steps. There is one other thing, they could be bent and out of alignment. Dealer can determine and fix that.
Good luck.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a can of white lithium grease at the parts store. It came with a small straw like WD40 so you can get it exactly where you want it. Sprayed it on all the joints on both sides of the steps and wiped off the excess. Worked all year and made the steps easy to pull in and out. WD40 dries out too fast......
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think WD40 would work well in this instance, just don't overdo it. Spray on a bit using the straw and work the steps and they should loosen up.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"