cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburban Water Heater

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I emptied my Water Heater today to begin winterizing my camper. When I took out the anode rod, it was pretty bad so I need to get a new one. I guess they are only good for one season. Looking online, I found aluminum rods and Magnesium rods. Which should I buy? Also, I stuck my finger in the tank and there's debris on the bottom of the tank. It feels sandy. It's just near where the anode rod gets threaded in. Is there a procedure to flush the tank better than just letting it drain? IS what I'm finding pretty normal?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
17 REPLIES 17

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:
Do all whโ€™s have the anode rod ?? Mine
Is a Surburban also,

To the best of my knowledge, all Suburban Water Heaters have an anode Rod. If the drain plug is metal, most likely you have an anode rod attached to it. If it's a plastic/nylon plug you likely do not have an anode rod.

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
My error mine is an Atwood
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Do all whโ€™s have the anode rod ?? Mine
Is a Surburban also,
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RobWNY wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
This is one years use on West coast water.

Mine after one camping season looks way worse than that. Actually, up by the nut end, it's almost worn through. Maybe 1/4" diameter left. I think I'm going to check mine twice a year and make sure I have an extra on hand. I will admit that I didn't empty my hot water tank all season which would help.

My pic showed so little wear that I put it back in. I am on a once a year check n flush routine.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Mine after one camping season looks way worse than that. Actually, up by the nut end, it's almost worn through. Maybe 1/4" diameter left. I think I'm going to check mine twice a year and make sure I have an extra on hand. I will admit that I didn't empty my hot water tank all season which would help.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
pigman1 wrote:
I know you've already bought the rod and flush wand, but if you find the flush wand doesn't work as good as you think it should, you can do it yourself for less than $10. A one foot long piece of 1/4" soft copper tubing and a handful of pieces to get from that tube to a female garden hose piece and you're there. Bend a small right angle bend in the open end. Any hardware store will have the parts you need. I store my handmade flusher right in the water heater compartment so I always know where it is. That's also where I keep my extra anode.

I didn't think about making my own. Good points pigman1. If I'm not happy with the results with the one I purchased, I will be getting some copper tubing. I might even have some laying around someplace.

I have made several as you describe and gave them to friends but like the plastic one better.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
That W/C water must be good, if that is a magnesium rod. Many will be near replacement after a year. I can't get two seasons out of mine, so just replace yearly at start of season, and not worry about it.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
pigman1 wrote:
I know you've already bought the rod and flush wand, but if you find the flush wand doesn't work as good as you think it should, you can do it yourself for less than $10. A one foot long piece of 1/4" soft copper tubing and a handful of pieces to get from that tube to a female garden hose piece and you're there. Bend a small right angle bend in the open end. Any hardware store will have the parts you need. I store my handmade flusher right in the water heater compartment so I always know where it is. That's also where I keep my extra anode.

I didn't think about making my own. Good points pigman1. If I'm not happy with the results with the one I purchased, I will be getting some copper tubing. I might even have some laying around someplace.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Lynnmor, wildtoad and Old-Biscuit. Since I already ordered the wand I'll use it, but I'll also do the Power Flush.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Want to really flush out that crud......forget that wand.
Have to stick it thru hole to use and that partially blocks the drain hole
Wand is OK to rinse inside of tank walls cause you can point it up and sideways.

Power flush it....
With anode rod out stand back and turn water supply ON and let it blast out the drain hole
Inlet diffuser points downward so the water pressure will stir up the crud on bottom of tank and force it out the drain

Suburban OEM anode rod is magnesium because it does provide good protection and will dissolve quicker.
But it can interact with microbes in the water source and stink.....sulfur smell

Aluminum is an optional anode rod but does not dissolve as quickly hence not as good protection and can be harder to remove due to calcium build up on the aluminum....can even result in 'gel' like substance
Aluminum hydroxide=====result of the minerals in the water reacting with the aluminum anode rod
The gel is not harmful..water soluble just drain/flush more frequently
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
FYI Suburban advises to empty the wh when not in use. Should prolong the life of the anode rod.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
Ok. I ordered a Magnesium anose rod and the water heater flush thing from Amazon. Thanks for your help Donn0128 and wa8yxm!

You bought the right things. Magnesium will offer better protection, but shorter life. The length of time an anode rod will last depends on water usage and the water quality. Expect life of months to years.